xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Raptrex

Legal To Download Movies ... In France

A reader writes:"A french appeal court ruled yesterday in favour of somebody who downloaded about 500 movies, on the ground that those were private copies, and that he didn't redistributed them, and that a tax was payed on blank media. This sets the huge precedent that P2P is legal over there. For the details, apparently no distinction was made on the method used to download the movies (upload issues) and the famous EUCD directive was even used by the defending lawyer."

that is crazy

go her yo

that is crazy

go her yo

58952[/snapback]

I agree....its plain crazy, I mean the French people r supposed to be strict and they let movies to be downloaded!!!!!That is just unfair, why dont they do that in england and I would be very happy...lol.....but French government is going a bit of the hook by introducing this rule.... :blink::P but its good for people who DO liv in france :angry::ph34r::)

thats is really crazy. 500 movies? how big of a hard drive does that guy have geez. most movies take around 700 mb if you download them, or if you rip it from a dvd it takes a few gigs. can anybody find out those details??? lol

thats is really crazy. 500 movies? how big of a hard drive does that guy have geez. most movies take around 700 mb if you download them, or if you rip it from a dvd it takes a few gigs. can anybody find out those details??? lol

59006[/snapback]

Well, I don't think they store ALL their movies on their hard drive. When I down...erm...rip legal movies...from a friend, the output is usually 700 MB which ends up on a CD.

This is a reason why I'm considering moving to other countries because organizations like the Motion Pictures Association of America come after you...or at least I don't think they can.

u think that's crazy? The Canadian Music Industry lost to the government in a court appeal to ban downloads on the Internet. Therefore, Canadians can download music without restrictions.xboxrulz

In the Netherlands you can make one copy of movies and music for personal use. But that's it. This means that things like downloading a movie from BitTorrent isn't legal since you are uploading content as well, and that's illegal.I'm guessing uploading while downloading (when using P2P apps) will be dealt with in France sometime soon.

wow! the court has spoken! and they said those downloads are legal. i don't know if i should happy about that or not. I ahve downloaded some songs but not movies. and those are 500 movies! personal i don't like the verdict, they should have convicted the guy. but reasoning out that because he bought the blank Cds which made him pay taxes is a little funny. hehehe

Lol.. owwaw. I moving to France and than to Canada. Wow, thats the first time i heard something like that. I thought other countries had certain rules about downloading music and movies. But i guess not. The music people and the movie makers are getting screwed really bad on this one.

I download movies of course but I don?t know if that law is good... the proiblem is in this part of the text, "a tax was payed on blank media". I see that in France, like in Spain, there is a tax that you pay each time you buy a CD... It is supposed to pay author?s rights. Users are angry because we?re paying for it even if we don?t use it for movies or commercial music. If I want to keep my own music, documents, photos, etc ina CD I pay for something that others do to unknown benefactors. So, this appears to give users a legal right for doing so many copies as they want.Anyway a dangerous law. Let?s see what happens next.

Hehe... In Bulgaria we have a free servers where we can upload movies and programs or whatever we want... It is illegal too - but nobody cares. And the most interesting thing is that this servers belong to legal companies - the servers are visible only from BG(the only disadvantage).

o, lol. About the Canadian music download, I'm certain that it's legal because it was on the news and everyone does it here. So, I'm very sure. You know, Canada is always open to have more immigrants :); unless the quota is up....xboxrulz

i live in canada and it is not illegal to download or upload music or movies or software etc. its not that it is legal it is that people procescuting those who do partake in these actions are invading their privacy. ISP are not allowed to disclose any information about subscribers to 'outsiders' and therefore no proof can be presented, so no cases can be won.yay canada and its privacy acts