xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
moltenarts

Deskwizz Popup Nightmare Infested w/Pop Ups HELP

Hello~I was wondering if anyone new anything about this pesky deskwizz spyware/adware.I have ran Spybot, Adaware, Norton, Microsoft Anti-Spyware and I can't get rid of it.If I leave my computer for even a moment (with IE closed) I come back to a screen with at least 30 or more pop ups.I am running XP and cannot completely remove IE.I have went through the IE restore to no avail.I finally had to tell IE i was using a fake proxy to disable it.Now the pop ups have stopped but all I have to do is uncheck the box for it to start again.If anyone has any ideas how I can get rid of it I would be very grateful!!Thanks

I just did a google search for Deskwizz and wow - you got a nasty critter on your machine. But it seems it's actually a program running on your computer in the background.
I found this to be a nice link Spyware Guide

What I can gather is that svrrun.exe is the program that runs the popups (mind you - I am only getting this from the net) (my source is tasklist.org)

The following may NOT work LOL... I mean, not all spyware/adware shows up there, most doesn't. But it's worth a try :rolleyes:

Just right-click on an empty space on your taskbar (The grey bar down there :)) and select Task Manager (I think Win XP has that ability as well - I use win 2k pro). Go to the Processes Tab and read through the list, see if you can find svrrun.exe. (NOTE : you'll see explorer.exe running, that's not IE but your windows desktop etc) If you see svrrun.exe, right click it and select End Process. That hopefully stops it for a while, it may be restarted instantly though :) But try that, and then go to My Computer - C Drive - Program Files - and look for a folder for DeskWizz (I think they'd use a folder with their name)

Here's a cool tool that helps you in situations like this. When you're unable to kill a process directly through the task manager and your process spawns back as soon as you kill it - what you need to do is kill the process and remove the executable file at the same instance to stop this repetitive behaviour. That's where KillBox comes in handy.

All you need to do is locate the rogue process using taskmanager and then type in the process name you see there into the killbox window and press the big red "X" button and your job's done. It's an extremely handy tool and a must-have for your toolbox.

Here's what they say about KillBox:

File Description:

Pocket KillBox is a program that can be used to get rid of files that stubbornly refuse to allow you to delete them.

Usage Information:

Download this file, extract it, and run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, allow it to do so, and hopefully your file will now be deleted.

Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/

KillBox Download Link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/

You can also prevent the process from starting up itself. go to Start->Run-> Type msconfig. in the processes tab, find the process that moonwitch mentioned and disable it. Also do the same in the startup tab. I had a similar problem. Doing this just solved it!!

Thank you so much for you responses. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner... It's finals week for me at school :) I check Task Manager for svrrun.exe but it is not listed.I also checked for anything called DeskWizz and found nothing.I don't know what else to do!! :rolleyes: Any ideas??

Hi,I've been trying to fight this thing for quite a while with no avail... and one day my IE popped up a window that one of the plug-ins failed. I don't remember what else it asked about :P, but an advanced (or the like) button (or link?) appeared and I pressed it - another window popped up where I could see ALL the plug-ins that were installed in IE.I browsed the list and among all those flash/whatever plugins that IE uses - two particular entries (with .dll extension) drew my attention as they had a very strange description - something similar to entries in the registry composed of letters and numbers. I deleted both of them AND the problem disappeared - no more deskwizz pop-up windows!The thing is - I don't remember what these .dll files were :D, but they were the two with the strange descriptions. The second problem is - I have no idea how to open the plug-in configuration window again :P.Can anybody help with that?DanielPS. Sorry for the fuzzy descriptions, but I'm not using an English version of Windows and thus not sure what some things should sound like in English. :P