xisto Community
harriko

Best Dvd Ripper? (divx) best software?

I wondered what software is there to rip dvd movies onto your computer in divx or XviD format? theres are lots around and i dont seems to know which one is the best. i want the ones that give the best quality like the movies that can be downloaded from p2ps. so what software do they use to distrubute them?thanks!

Notice from Rudy:
Ripping commercial movie DVDs is illegal! Topics like that are not allowed here, I’m certain you will find that kind of information in abundance elsewhere.Please read the TOS if you are not sure about the rules.I have edited this notice for Friso's sake

are you sure it is illegal? what about music-dvds? can't i put them on my computer, if i want to listen to it? i wouldn't know what would be illegal in ripping dvd's to your computer, if you won't share them. wouldnt dvd-ripping programs be illegal too then? then they couldnt even exist, but they do... anyway, i won't risk a warn for this :rolleyes:

Notice from Rudy:
Ripping commercial movie DVDs is illegal!  Topics like that are not allowed here, I’m certain you will find that kind of information in abundance elsewhere.

Please read the TOS if you are not sure about the rules.

I have edited this notice for Friso's sake

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ah, that's better :) well, that makes it possible for me to recommend some rippers, too bad i don't know any, and i don't think i'm much better in googling than you are. :rolleyes:

i someone else can help you, and you won't use it for illegal purposes :) :)

if you wanna do it good & easy: search google for dvddecryptor and autogk

gordian knot is probably the best windows dvd ripper. i use it to backup al my dvd's. autogk is short for auto gordian knot.

so what you wanna do: go here
http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN

it's an excellent and easy tutorial.
they'll tell you to download dvd decryptor and how to adjust the settings (don't forget this!!!) this will put a copy of your dvd on you harddrive, uncompressed. then with autogk, open the dir where you put the copy and it'll compress it to xvid or divx, as you like. for divx, you need the official divx codec though. xvid is better anyways.

Hi, my best experience to backup dvd´s is with this nice freeware programm dvdshrink. It gives you the options to get rid of non needed languages and other not needed features. Best of all it does copy an entire dvd to a single layer dvd. With an compression ratio of about 60% you don´t see any difference in picture and soundquality.

You get it here

To Backup a copyrighted dvd try to find more info somewhere else
Blix

if you need the best dvd ripper software,I suggest you see here.There are many experts' reviews.It help you to choice a dvd ripper better.

-reply by dvd ripper

Notice from Rudy:
Ripping commercial movie DVDs is illegal! Topics like that are not allowed here, Iâm certain you will find that kind of information in abundance elsewhere.
Please read the TOS if you are not sure about the rules.

I have edited this notice for Friso's sake

Rudy, not all DVDs are copyrighted and there are plenty of legitimate reasons to ask this question.

When my son was still in the oven, we had an ultrasound done and the technician gave us a DVD of the procedure. Of course the grandparents wanted a copy but the DVD had minor protection on it. I had great pain getting the ultrasound into a compact avi for email. I eventually got it to work but it was way too much trouble for the average user. Considering this is a medical image, shouldnât I have full access to the information?

Considering this is a medical image, shouldn't I have full access to the information?

Were it a medical image, only a doctor should have access to it.If your doctor wants you to have a copy, he will give you a copy without problem.
And, of course, everybody is free making a backup of a copyrighted DVD.
Simply be sure that you will never play both copies at the same time in two different places.
What is legit : you rip a DVD and then you place it in a safe place, and play your copy. After having seen one thousand times the same movie, your backup copy will not work any more, you open the safe and make a new backup off the original DVD, that's the correct way to do, that's the way it should work.
By the way, the initial question was "the Best DVD Ripper". This means best quality for the divX playback, and probably the ease of use. A lot of good compressors (like gordian knot for instance) cannot be used by newbies, but give great quality images.
And, of course, you have to pay for the DivX codec pro encoders! :)