xisto Community
iGuest

Ebola Virus

The scary thing about Ebola is that it really does have the potential to wipe out the human race. The worst strain (zaire) kills from 85% up and they believe it may spread through the air. Do you know what that could do? Basically a cold that kills you, it would spread like wildfire. Now why it hasn't is a mystery as it has the potential to. I guess some big guy up there is keeping it at bay :P . It just appears randomly and disappears...

The scary thing about Ebola is that it really does have the potential to wipe out the human race. The worst strain (zaire) kills from 85% up and they believe it may spread through the air. Do you know what that could do? Basically a cold that kills you, it would spread like wildfire. Now why it hasn't is a mystery as it has the potential to. I guess some big guy up there is keeping it at bay  :( . It just appears randomly and disappears...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not an airbourne disease, so its not technically a 'cold' as such. Someone pointed out that the reason was it was too violent to be spread.

The scary thing about Ebola is that it really does have the potential to wipe out the human race. The worst strain (zaire) kills from 85% up and they believe it may spread through the air. Do you know what that could do? Basically a cold that kills you, it would spread like wildfire. Now why it hasn't is a mystery as it has the potential to. I guess some big guy up there is keeping it at bay  :( . It just appears randomly and disappears...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theoreticaly, it does have the potential to wipe out the entire human race, but the problem is....that it kills to fast. Its host usualy die way to fast to even spread it on to another human being. Ebola is like fire burning a field surrounded by desert. The field will burn but the fire(ebola) will die out. Basicaly, it just disapears into the jungle after killing on an average of 100-200 people. As far as being airborne, no one has been able prove it is, but some scientist believe that it has mutated and that it may have airborne capabilities now. No one realy knows that much about ebola, because the US and African governments do not wish to cause a panic. Rumor says, that the US government is trying to wield ebola as a biological weapon.

Well, I was researching a bit about this and I went on the WHO's (World Health Organization) website as they are the people that actually deal with the disease. Here is their definition of it,

"The Ebola virus was first identified in a western equatorial province of Sudan and in a nearby region of Zaire (now Democratic Republic of the Congo) in 1976 after significant epidemics in Yambuku, northern Zaire, and Nzara, southern Sudan.

Ebola haemorrhagic fever (EHF) is one of the most virulent viral diseases known to humankind, causing death in 50-90% of all clinically ill cases. Several different species of Ebola virus have been identified.

The Ebola virus is transmitted by direct contact with the blood, body fluids and tissues of infected persons.Transmission of the Ebola virus has also occurred by handling ill or dead infected chimpanzees."

And lloyd, yeah I guess I tend to agree with you to an extent but at the same time, there is still a lot we don't know about it. For instance, if anybody's read the book then they'll remember the case with the nurse who had Ebola Zaire. She felt sick she didn't tell anyone and decided instead to rush into the city to a doctor. She was in contact with people all day and not one person got sick. So Ebola really is a big mystery still. It's quite a scary thing. And as for the US trying to use it, I really doubt it. Some liberal is just spreading that around. Why would they use something that they can't control?

Wow, I've never heard of the Ebola Virus. That's awful that it's that deadly. Are they working on a cure for the virus? Have they made any break-throughs? What causes the virus, could they stop doing something that spreads/causes it?