xisto Community
linzy

Catholicism Vs. Christianity How do they differ?

Nicole is probably the closest one to being NOT crazy on this whole topic. Dear MajesticTreeFrog, Catholics do not believe in Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. The bible clearly states the "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) Obviously that means that we need a way to get to God, because there is a separation of sin between us and God. "For the wages of sin is death, and the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 6:23) In the literature of this statement, this would mean that there will be an answer given later or can be found elsewhere in the text. Well, it just so happens that John 3:16 says: (let's say this for the millionth time now ;) ) "For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life." The ONLY way to heaven is to accept that Jesus IS the Son of God, and that if we believe that He died for the WHOLE worlds' sins, then He rose again 3 days later. This is the way to heaven. Saints, and priests are not any closer than the next person. "...not by works, so that NO MAN can boast."As far as I'm concerned, Catholics are not Christians.-Larry Burnett

Catholics do not believe in Jesus dying on the cross for our sins.

The most rude and obnoxious people in this world are those who have the audacity and arrogance to speak for others telling everyone what those people believe in contradiction to their own words. We are finite beings and so ignorance is our natural state. The important thing is that we can learn, which is part of the way that we grow to become more than we are, but how can we learn if we do not listen? Thus an ignorance that is so deeply rooted that one refuses to listen to anything that contradicts what one believe to be the case, is an ignorance that is incurable and thus inexcusable. Ah well we are fallable human beings who stray quite frequently into inexcusable behavior and error, and so we pray for God's grace to save us from ourselves.

If there is one thing you can say about the Roman Catholics, it is that they leave absolutely no ambiguity about what it is that they believe. The Roman Catholic Catechism states what they believe with an almost sickening degree of exhaustive clarity. So before one makes absurd claims about "what the Catholics believe", would not all honesty and intellegence require us to consult this statement of their belief before shooting off with the mouth?

From article 4 of the Roman Catholic Catechism, paragraph 2, section II and III

"He died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures"
The Scriptures had foretold this divine plan of salvation through the putting to death of "the righteous one, my Servant" as a mystery of universal redemption, that is, as the ransom that would free men from the slavery of sin.397 Citing a confession of faith that he himself had "received," St. Paul professes that "Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures."398 In particular Jesus' redemptive death fulfills Isaiah's prophecy of the suffering Servant.399 Indeed Jesus himself explained the meaning of his life and death in the light of God's suffering Servant.400 After his Resurrection he gave this interpretation of the Scriptures to the disciples at Emmaus, and then to the apostles.401

"For our sake God made him to be sin"

Consequently, St. Peter can formulate the apostolic faith in the divine plan of salvation in this way: "You were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your fathers . . . with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. He was destined before the foundation of the world but was made manifest at the end of the times for your sake."402 Man's sins, following on original sin, are punishable by death.403 By sending his own Son in the form of a slave, in the form of a fallen humanity, on account of sin, God "made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."404

Jesus did not experience reprobation as if he himself had sinned.405 But in the redeeming love that always united him to the Father, he assumed us in the state of our waywardness of sin, to the point that he could say in our name from the cross: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"406 Having thus established him in solidarity with us sinners, God "did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all," so that we might be "reconciled to God by the death of his Son."407

God takes the initiative of universal redeeming love

By giving up his own Son for our sins, God manifests that his plan for us is one of benevolent love, prior to any merit on our part: "In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins."408 God "shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us."409

At the end of the parable of the lost sheep Jesus recalled that God's love excludes no one: "So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish."410 He affirms that he came "to give his life as a ransom for many"; this last term is not restrictive, but contrasts the whole of humanity with the unique person of the redeemer who hands himself over to save us.411 The Church, following the apostles, teaches that Christ died for all men without exception: "There is not, never has been, and never will be a single human being for whom Christ did not suffer."412

III. Christ Offered Himself to His Father for Our Sins

Christ's whole life is an offering to the Father

The Son of God, who came down "from heaven, not to do [his]own will, but the will of him who sent [him],"413 said on coming into the world, "Lo, I have come to do your will, O God." "And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."414 From the first moment of his Incarnation the Son embraces the Father's plan of divine salvation in his redemptive mission: "My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work."415 The sacrifice of Jesus "for the sins of the whole world"416 expresses his loving communion with the Father. "The Father loves me, because I lay down my life," said the Lord, "[for] I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father."417

The desire to embrace his Father's plan of redeeming love inspired Jesus' whole life,418 for his redemptive passion was the very reason for his Incarnation. And so he asked, "And what shall I say? Ć¢Father, save me from this hour'? No, for this purpose I have come to this hour."419 And again, "Shall I not drink the cup which the Father has given me?"420 From the cross, just before "It is finished," he said, "I thirst."421

"The Lamb who takes away the sin of the world"

After agreeing to baptize him along with the sinners, John the Baptist looked at Jesus and pointed him out as the "Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world."422 By doing so, he reveals that Jesus is at the same time the suffering Servant who silently allows himself to be led to the slaughter and who bears the sin of the multitudes, and also the Paschal Lamb, the symbol of Israel's redemption at the first Passover.423 Christ's whole life expresses his mission: "to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."424

Jesus freely embraced the Father's redeeming love

By embracing in his human heart the Father's love for men, Jesus "loved them to the end," for "greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."425 In suffering and death his humanity became the free and perfect instrument of his divine love which desires the salvation of men.426 Indeed, out of love for his Father and for men, whom the Father wants to save, Jesus freely accepted his Passion and death: "No one takes [my life] from me, but I lay it down of my own accord."427 Hence the sovereign freedom of God's Son as he went out to his death.428

At the Last Supper Jesus anticipated the free offering of his life

Jesus gave the supreme expression of his free offering of himself at the meal shared with the twelve Apostles "on the night he was betrayed."429 On the eve of his Passion, while still free, Jesus transformed this Last Supper with the apostles into the memorial of his voluntary offering to the Father for the salvation of men: "This is my body which is given for you." "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."430

The Eucharist that Christ institutes at that moment will be the memorial of his sacrifice.431 Jesus includes the apostles in his own offering and bids them perpetuate it.432 By doing so, the Lord institutes his apostles as priests of the New Covenant: "For their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth."433

The agony at Gethsemani

The cup of the New Covenant, which Jesus anticipated when he offered himself at the Last Supper, is afterwards accepted by him from his Father's hands in his agony in the garden at Gethsemani,434 making himself "obedient unto death." Jesus prays: "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me. . . ."435 Thus he expresses the horror that death represented for his human nature. Like ours, his human nature is destined for eternal life; but unlike ours, it is perfectly exempt from sin, the cause of death.436 Above all, his human nature has been assumed by the divine person of the "Author of life," the "Living One."437 By accepting in his human will that the Father's will be done, he accepts his death as redemptive, for "he himself bore our sins in his body on the tree."438

Christ's death is the unique and definitive sacrifice

Christ's death is both the Paschal sacrifice that accomplishes the definitive redemption of men, through "the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world,"439 and the sacrifice of the New Covenant, which restores man to communion with God by reconciling him to God through the "blood of the covenant, which was poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."440

This sacrifice of Christ is unique; it completes and surpasses all other sacrifices.441 First, it is a gift from God the Father himself, for the Father handed his Son over to sinners in order to reconcile us with himself. At the same time it is the offering of the Son of God made man, who in freedom and love offered his life to his Father through the Holy Spirit in reparation for our disobedience.442

Jesus substitutes his obedience for our disobedience

"For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by one man's obedience many will be made righteous."443 By his obedience unto death, Jesus accomplished the substitution of the suffering Servant, who "makes himself an offering for sin," when "he bore the sin of many," and who "shall make many to be accounted righteous," for "he shall bear their iniquities."444 Jesus atoned for our faults and made satisfaction for our sins to the Father.445

Jesus consummates his sacrifice on the Cross

It is love "to the end"446 that confers on Christ's sacrifice its value as redemption and reparation, as atonement and satisfaction. He knew and loved us all when he offered his life.447 Now "the love of Christ controls us, because we are convinced that one has died for all; therefore all have died."448 No man, not even the holiest, was ever able to take on himself the sins of all men and offer himself as a sacrifice for all. The existence in Christ of the divine person of the Son, who at once surpasses and embraces all human persons and constitutes himself as the Head of all mankind, makes possible his redemptive sacrifice for all.

The Council of Trent emphasizes the unique character of Christ's sacrifice as "the source of eternal salvation"449 and teaches that "his most holy Passion on the wood of the cross merited justification for us."450 And the Church venerates his cross as it sings: "Hail, O Cross, our only hope."451

Our participation in Christ's sacrifice

The cross is the unique sacrifice of Christ, the "one mediator between God and men."452 But because in his incarnate divine person he has in some way united himself to every man, "the possibility of being made partners, in a way known to God, in the paschal mystery" is offered to all men.453 He calls his disciples to "take up [their] cross and follow [him],"454 for "Christ also suffered for [us], leaving [us] an example so that [we] should follow in his steps."455 In fact Jesus desires to associate with his redeeming sacrifice those who were to be its first beneficiaries.456 This is achieved supremely in the case of his mother, who was associated more intimately than any other person in the mystery of his redemptive suffering.457

As far as I'm concerned, Catholics are not Christians.

I would say that a true Christian, who knows that it is by no merit of his own that he has God's grace, should be most ashamed to take upon himself the self-righteous and blasphemous role of judging who are saved (or who is Christian if you mean it in that way), for obviously that judgement must be reserved for God alone. To ask the objective question concerning what are the meaning of words, which derives from a consensus about how they are used is a very different matter. We can observe that there are large consensus about the meaning of the word "Christian", one among non-Christians and one among Christians, and Catholics fit the definitions of both of these. However, to take upon oneself the role of judging who is part of the body of Christ, administered by Jesus and the Holy Spirit alone, and thus who is Christian in that sense, is very dangerous ground against which the scriptures warn in the most frightening terms. "Judge not, for as you judge so shall you be judged." Personally I would not like to place so much faith in my judgement that I would want that to be what determines my eternal destiny.
Edited by mitchellmckain (see edit history)

"one among non-Christians and one among Christians, and Catholics fit the definitions of both of these." This is what I was trying to clear up for some people. Because I have not had the extensive time to question every catholic, the MANY, MANY, catholics that I am in contact with at school show me AND HAVE TOLD ME that accepting Jesus into their lives as the only way to heaven was NOT something they are concerned with. Obviously I came off as an arrogant fool with some of my previous statements, which I apologize for. But speaking from the *small experience that I've had with catholics, they live like the rest of the world throughout the entire week, and repent on sunday. They haven't show ANY form of their belief unless they needed it as a safeguard-escape from a situation. Don't get me wrong, I have met a couple who have accepted Jesus as their personal saviour, and they choose to worship traditionally. That's totally okay! Alot of people would rather not worship God with screamo or hardcore christian music like I do, and that's not somethign to condemn anyone over.Let me rephrase myself now, the catholics that I know and have met do not believe that accepting Jesus is the only way to heaven.-Larry Burnett

"one among non-Christians and one among Christians, and Catholics fit the definitions of both of these." This is what I was trying to clear up for some people. Because I have not had the extensive time to question every catholic, the MANY, MANY, catholics that I am in contact with at school show me AND HAVE TOLD ME that accepting Jesus into their lives as the only way to heaven was NOT something they are concerned with. Obviously I came off as an arrogant fool with some of my previous statements, which I apologize for. But speaking from the *small experience that I've had with catholics, they live like the rest of the world throughout the entire week, and repent on Sunday. They haven't show ANY form of their belief unless they needed it as a safeguard-escape from a situation. Don't get me wrong, I have met a couple who have accepted Jesus as their personal savior, and they choose to worship traditionally. That's totally okay! Alot of people would rather not worship God with screams or hardcore Christian music like I do, and that's not something to condemn anyone over.Let me rephrase myself now, the catholics that I know and have met do not believe that accepting Jesus is the only way to heaven.-Larry Burnett

I'm sorry catholics were not the first church. God called all his people the church and never mentioned any so called "religion". The correct word is "relation" which is what everyone should have with God. My best advice for you is to read the bible and you will discover many wonderful things!

christian vs catholicism

Catholicism Vs. Christianity

Ā 

Replying to linzy

Ā 

Hi there,

Ā 

Catholics believe in Purgatory while Christians do not. Catholics are to work for their salvation (doing things from their own will and wait for the Catholic church to save them) however; Christians believe that salvation comes from trusting and following God's only begotten son Jesus Christ as stated in the Bible.

Ā 

Hope this helps.

Ā 

-reply by jwook

Ā 

Replying to Jguy101

Ā 

As a former Catholic AND Protestant, I make the following TRUE statements:

Ā 

Catholicism and Biblical Christianity are divergent religions. They are built on different foundations and they propose different ways of salvation.

Ā 

In principle, Christianity is built solely on the Holy Scriptures, the written Word of God. The Bible is our only infallible rule of faith, being sufficient to give us the sure knowledge of the Gospel for our salvation and holiness.

Roman Catholicism demands submission of the intellect and will to the doctrines taught by the Roman magisterium (the Pope and bishops). It is claimed that the Catholic Church derives its doctrines from the "sacred deposit" found in Scriptures and Sacred Tradition. However the faithful cannot verify these doctrines by referring to the original sources. The Scriptures are inaccessible because only the magisterium is able to establish the authentic meaning. Similarly the contents of Sacred Tradition can only be known through the magisterium. Roman Catholicism is mental and spiritual slavery to the Vatican.

As expected, since the foundations are different, so also are the elaborate concepts built upon them. Christianity stands on the Gospel of God's sovereign grace. In love, God predestines His chosen ones to be adopted as sons through Jesus Christ, their sole mediator. The Son became man and gave His life as a ransom to secure their freedom from sin. Being dead in sin, we are completely unable to convert ourselves or merit God's favor. Therefore, God graciously grants His people repentance and faith to turn to Him and trust in Christ Jesus for salvation alone. Believers are accepted in Christ, solely on the merit of His righteousness and blood, and not because of any goodness or human merit. God also resides in His people by the Holy Spirit, enabling them to obey and glorify the Father, and to guarantee their inheritance in heaven forever.

Rome's "gospel" is not good news at all. The Roman institution, calling itself "The Church", unlawfully seizes Christ's mediatory office, proclaiming herself as the "sacrament of salvation." The "Church" dispenses salvation to her faithful in small portions, starting at baptism and continuing throughout life. Forgiveness can only be obtained through the sacrament of penance. The benefits of Christ's sacrifice are accessible through the sacrifice of the Mass. Instead of teaching the faithful to rest in Christ by faith, Catholics are taught to perform religious works to "merit grace" and to do penance to appease God. Even after death, Catholics remain dependent on the "Church" to relieve their suffering in Purgatory by masses and indulgences.

The Roman Catholic Church is a mighty obstacle to anyone seeking salvation, enslaving millions of people to a religious system and preventing them from coming directly to Christ.

The choice is between the Bible and the Roman magisterium; the choice is between salvation by grace through faith in Christ, or through human merit and effort in the Roman religion, a system that is not supported by any books found in the Bible.

Ā 

On a personal note, I was born and raised in a Catholic household, and when I started asking questions about why do we do this or that in church, I was always told I cannot ask those questions...We were to blindly accept whatever we were told without exception. Later, I was witness to by a kindly gentleman who guided by lost soul to salvation using the Bible. These were verses I NEVER heard in Catholic mass before! I will forever be grateful to God for allowing my heart to be open to the authentic Word. I've been told that not telling the whole truth is the same as telling a lie, and for the Catholic Mass I can only say that not telling people the whole truth (reading ALL the scriptures) is the same as telling a lie.

Ā 

Bottom line, whether the CC is the first church or not, I am sad to say without a doubt, it is corrupt beyond anything imaginable and goes against what it taught in the scriptures. All one has to do is read them to learn the truth, as I did.

Ā 

Ā 

-reply by Kevin

Catholicism and Biblical Christianity are divergent religions. They are built on different foundations and they propose different ways of salvation.

I am also a Protestant and so, of course, I share many of your concerns. I use my own rhetoric to express my own objections to the Catholic claim of the authority to tell all Christians what they must believe. I have called this argument from authority a "check your brains at the door" approach, and compared it to the approach which the Mormons use rather exclusively. As both a Christian and a scientist I have great contempt for this authoritarian approach which I think makes Christianity trite and meaningless. I have quoted 1 Samuel 8:5-10 to show how God feels about such a substitution of human authority for the direct rulership of God Himself in our lives. And I have reminded Catholics of the fact that Scripture states quite clearly that Christ is the only mediator between man and God.

Neverthess, although Catholic history is certainly a clear testimony to the truth of God's warning in 1 Samuel 8:5-10 about how human leadership will inevitably fall into corruption and error, I must also say that Catholic history is also a rather clear testimony to the pure and faithful love of God in the example of many many many Catholics who have given their lives in worship, devotion, service and submission to God. We must not imagine that God is limited by the limitations of Catholic leadership or doctrine. Sure we have cause to criticize, but of course, these are human beings. We will not accept their claims to authority, but surely the love of Christ can transcend our differences of mere opinion. As for ideas of working our way into heaven, is this not an error to which Christians of every denomination are prone? Do we all not fall into dry periods of minimal Christian life? These should be seen as cause to give thanks to the mercy of God and not cause for presuming to judge others.

The Catholic sees their way as a way of Grace because of their emphasis on the Eucharist as receiving redemption as a gift, which is also firmly rooted in repentance by the practice of first making confession of ones sins. The pattern of salvation is there and to make too much of differences of theology must ultimately be seen as thinking to save oneself by ones own superior understanding. Where is the fear of God in that? Let the Protestant reject the Catholic's claim of authority so that we are free to seek and worship God in the liberty of Christ and the guidance of the Spirit, without claiming any authority on our own part by condemning others for the relationship with God which they have found, no matter how inadequate it might seem to us. Let Christ remain the sole leader of His church and the only one with the right to pass such judgements.

Fact....

Ā 

The protestants began when a catholic monk began to read his Bible, he discovered "God's truth." and as a result protested against what the Catholic Church was teaching.

Just for some historical research pull up on Google, Jan Hus, lady Jane Grey, Elizabeth, Joan of Arc, there's also Wycliffe & Jerome. All of whom were burned or killed by beheadings of the Catholic Church, known as "The dark ages." These people were told to "recant" or "die" by the CC and so they chose to die so that you and I can hold our bibles today.

Ā 

The protestants were protesting against the catholic church for preching blasphemy, the Lutheran's were Bible believers that wanted to differentiate themselves from the Catholics and they became the "Lutheran's"...Look up Martin Luther.

Ā 

Is there a difference between "TRUE CHRISTIANITY & CATHOLICS" YOU BET. God said "study the scripture to shew thyself approved. And Jesus speaking said "I am the way the TRUTH & the life, no man shall come unto the father but by ME" Not mary, not the saints, not the pope.

Thanks for listening, search the truth in the "Holy Bible." We're not to dumb to understand it.

Ā 

-reply by Bible believer

reply to your answer

Ā 

Catholics are not christians...Catholics are catholics. Very distinct in way of life. The title christian has in it the name "christ" meaning annointed, if your not annointed you are not a christian, even if you call yourself a christian. Catholics supposedly base themselves on the bible,.. But they don't even follow the bibles teachings...Christians do! Of course, no one is perfect, everyone fails God...But after having been forgiven and tought the truth God expects us to do better. Questions? Ask,.. I got a whole lot to say in this regards.

Ā 

-reply by Emmanuel

reply to your answer

Ā 

Catholics are not christians...Catholics are catholics. Very distinct in way of life. The title christian has in it the name "christ" meaning annointed, if your not annointed you are not a christian, even if you call yourself a christian. Catholics supposedly base themselves on the bible,.. But they don't even follow the bibles teachings...Christians do! Of course, no one is perfect, everyone fails God...But after having been forgiven and tought the truth God expects us to do better. Questions? Ask,.. I got a whole lot to say in this regards.

Ā 

-reply by Emmanuel

The largest consensus of Christians about what it means to be Christian refer back to the Nicean creed from the Eccumenical councils of the 4rth century.

Ā 

I believe in one God,

the Father Almighty,

maker of heaven and earth,

and of all things visible and invisible;

Ā 

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,

the only begotten Son of God,

begotten of his Father before all worlds,

God of God, Light of Light,

very God of very God,

begotten, not made,

being of one substance with the Father;

by whom all things were made;

who for us men and for our salvation

came down from heaven,

and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost

of the Virgin Mary,

and was made man;

and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate;

he suffered and was buried;

and the third day he rose again

according to the Scriptures,

and ascended into heaven,

and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;

and he shall come again, with glory,

to judge both the quick and the dead;

whose kingdom shall have no end.

Ā 

And I believe in the Holy Ghost the Lord, and Giver of Life,

who proceedeth from the Father;

who with the Father and the Son together

is worshipped and glorified;

who spake by the Prophets.

And I believe one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church;

I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins;

and I look for the resurrection of the dead,

and the life of the world to come. AMEN.

One may notice that I have left out the RC addition of the words "and the Son" since these are not the result of any eccumenical agreement.

Ā 

This creed is upheld by Protestant and Catholic alike (the filoque addition not being very significant since most Protestants have adopted it as well) and so both are Christian. One thing in particular that I want to point out is the word "Catholic" which appears in this creed, because it means that we must say that ALL Chrisitans are indeed Catholic (in the sense of the word as it is used here). But what is this sense of the word? We can notice for one thing that there is no mention of any pope or Rome anywhere in this creed, so whatever athority that the pope or the church in Rome might imagine that it has over Christendom has nothing to do with the meaning of the word "Catholic" in this creed. What it means is that there is only one church and Christ is the head of that church. It means that even if you go plant a "church" somewhere and share the gospel to gather a flock, what you have gather is not yours and the church you have planted is not any kind of "one true chruch" and the same goes for any other organization and administration of human beings. "Catholic" means universal and it means that all Christians are members of the body of Christ which is the church led by Christ himself, and while Catholic and Evangelical may childishly bicker just as the apostles did over who gets to sit on the right hand of Jesus, Jesus will simply say that he is greatest who is like a child and servant -- FOR THIS IS OUR GOD, who humbled himself to become a helpless infant, and who lived and died and lives to serve all of us, that we might know that the Creator of the universe does love us and will bring us out of darkness, if we let Him.

Ā 

So let us be humble in love and service, leaving judgement to God as the Apostle Paul commanded in Romans 10:6-7 and do not tempt God to judge us as we judge others Matt 7:1-5. Here is the true nature of heresy, not the lack of good practice and doctrine, for we all live with logs in our eyes, but to blasphemously take upon ourselves the mantle of God's judgement as if it were we ourselves who raised Christ up from the dead. And so I would say that "Christians" who deny that Catholics are Christian are just as heretical as the Mormons (who say all other churches are apostate) and the Jehova Witnesses (who say all other churches are inspired by the devil).

Edited by mitchellmckain (see edit history)

Christians vs. Christians

Ā 

At least Catholics believe that they have to do something besides saying that they "believe" to find eternal happiness. Wow, imagine that, God actually expects effort and adherence to commandments (rules, lets say)...Faith without works is dead, being alone...I think that is in everyones bible, is it not?...Oh that's right, not all Christians believe the same thing, or interpret the bible the same way. Boy you "Christians" sure like to exclude each other...

Ā 

-reply by hackbart

finding truth in it all

Ā 

Replying to ree

Ā 

There are a few basic differences between catholicism and christianity.

Catholics beleive in saints, christians don't.

Catholic churches are characterized more by rituals whereas christian churches are changing and free(free to personal prayer, questions)

Ā 

Catholicism was started in rome.

Ā 

In a nutshell, catholicism is characterized by being under authority of Preists and the pope, bishops etc. Church is the same every time and you arent really allowed a personal relationship with God.

Ā 

Ā 

Christianity rejected all of those ideas. We pray to God and only God, not saints. In my belief praying to Saints is equivelant to praying to Buddha. It just doesn't make sense because God said"you shall not put any idols before me." THe entire christian faith is based on knowing Jesus personally, talking to him, and being annointed with the holy spirit. I've noticed that christianity is so much free-er. You can ask questions in church and wont be killed.

THe pastors are not above us. ALthough they have the gift to testify, in Gods eyes we are all equals.

Ā 

THe christian faith is based on all principals of the bible. God is the same today as he was yesterday, meaning he is just as miraculous today as he was when Jesus was around.

Ā 

There are many things in the bible that don't make sense in the catholic faith such as pergatory, saints, baptism at birth. (we could get baptised not even knowing who God is, nor understanding life yet, and forget we have been forced to follow God at birth?)

Ā 

Which is why christianity is based on following God because it is truly what we want to do. God is more important than any church or pope which is why in christian churches we are under Gods submission and will follow him anywhere...

Ā 

Ā 

Hope that helped

Ā 

Love one of Jesus's anointed

Ā 

-reply by nicole

I think it's very easy to become hard hearted,wanting to prove each other right or wrong. Is it because we want to truly exalt Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour or to feel that WE OURSELVES have out debated someone or "just showed them".Mitchellmckain above is right; let Christ remain the sole leader of His church and the only one with the right to pass such judgements. People ask God to baptize you in the Holy Spirit and seek truth through Him.-reply by brian

You

Ā 

Replying to iGuest

You're right when you express your sarcasm... It is a shame that "christians" mostly disagree. But let me straighten something out: First of all, christianity shouldn't be considered a religion at all, it's a belief which ultimately becomes a way of life. Christianity is based on the belief that Christ died for our sins, and since there's nothing we could ever do to "earn" our way into heaven, if we believe in Him and all he's done, we will go to heaven. "It is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast-- Eph. 2: 8-9"

So it isn't by anything that we can do, no rituals, nothing!

Now, if any "christian" doesn't believe in any part of the Bible, God's holy word... Please, don't call them a christian. They may not follow it, or obey, but christianity is faith that every part of the bible is the truth!

Ā 

-reply by Williams