xisto Community
linzy

Catholicism Vs. Christianity How do they differ?

Catholics are Christian? I know is not.

Catholicism Vs. Christianity

Replying to VisionGraffix

The reason I say Christians are not Catholics is because in the bible, book of acts 11:26 says:

26 and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

It has always been Christian. Catholics have added stuff and doctrines that are not biblical. In order to keep the method of salvation true you have to stick to what the bible says. The author and method of salvation was preached and done by JesusChrist.

The true way to know when a doctrine is true is through the word (bible).

Now Paul in the book of Galatians 1:6 says this concerning other doctrines:

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel� 7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

See my beloved?, Paul says that the gospel was preached by Christ and that even he or someone else or an angel preached another doctrine let him be condemned.

Hope this helps you. Stick to the word and the word will guide you. You do not need purgatory, works etc. All you need is faith in Christ and the promise of the Holy Spirit that will lead you in the right path. Amen!

Now to me the a Christian is follwers of Christ; that means that you follow what Christ said an did without adding or taking away from the bible and of what Christ preached. The main reason I say this is because this is what Christ did; Fullfill the word.

God bless you.

-reply by george

lost and looking for answersCatholicism Vs. Christianity

Reading all of this has certainly answered nothing for me anyway, the more I question the more questions I have. The most difficult thing though is that religion is used in the wrong way it seems, with attitude trying to prove who has the upper hand, I don't think that's how we ought to go about it, I myself am a Catholic I am trying to figure out; what exactly is the difference between Catholics and Christians, I have noticed that catholics are not mentioned in the bible unless there is a different word for it in the great book, much of the bible I don't understand, for instance why were some people Gods chosen people, who were given the strength to overcome other tribes or peoples, the murdered women children, and took their livestock, I thought we were all equal, clearly battle was part of human nature but does that mean that God chose sides? If so is that what we are doing right now, who is better?

-reply by rafal

Catholicism and Biblical Christianity are divergent religions. They are built on different foundations, and they propose different ways of salvation.

In principle, Christianity is built solely on the Holy Scriptures, the written Word of God. The Bible is our only infallible rule of faith, being sufficient to give us the sure knowledge of the Gospel for our salvation and holiness.

Roman Catholicism demands submission of the intellect and will to the doctrines taught by the Roman magisterium (the Pope and bishops). It is claimed that the Catholic Church derives its doctrines from the "sacred deposit" found in Scriptures and Sacred Tradition. However the faithful cannot verify these doctrines by referring to the original sources. The Scriptures are inaccessible because only the magisterium is able to establish the authentic meaning. Similarly the contents of Sacred Tradition can only be known through the magisterium. Roman Catholicism is mental and spiritual slavery to the Vatican.

As expected, since the foundations are different, so also are the edifices built upon them. Christianity stands on the Gospel of God's sovereign grace. In love, God predestines His chosen ones to be adopted as sons through Jesus Christ, their sole mediator. The Son became man and gave His life as a ransom to secure their freedom from sin. Being dead in sin, they are completely unable to convert ourselves or merit God's favour. Therefore God graciously grants His people repentance and faith to turn to Him and trust in Christ Jesus for salvation. Believers are accepted in Christ, solely on the merit of His righteousness and blood, and not because of any goodness or human merit. God also resides in His people by the Holy Spirit, enabling them to obey and glorify the Father, and to guarantee their inheritance in heaven forever.

Rome's "gospel" is not good news at all. The Roman institution, calling itself "The Church", usurps Christ's mediatorial office, proclaiming herself as the "sacrament of salvation." The "Church" dispenses salvation to her faithful in small portions, starting at baptism and continuing throughout life. Forgiveness can only be obtained through the sacrament of penance. The benefits of Christ's sacrifice are accessible through the sacrifice of the Mass. Instead of teaching the faithful to rest in Christ by faith, Catholics are taught to perform religious works to "merit grace" and to do penance to make satisfaction. Even after death, Catholics remains dependent on the "Church" to relieve their suffering in Purgatory by masses and indulgences.

The Roman Catholic Church is a mighty obstacle to anyone seeking salvation, enslaving millions of people to a religious system and preventing them from coming directly to Christ.

The choice is between the Bible and the Roman magisterium; the choice is between salvation by grace through faith in Christ, or through human merit and effort in the Roman religion.

Our good works cannot qualify us for salvation. We cannot make amends for our evildoing by trying to balance it with good deeds. Our moral debt cannot be paid by doing good works, by penances or by performing religious rituals. Scripture teaches that the wages of sin is death; without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins (Romans 6:23; Hebrews 9:22).

Besides, Scripture states that the children of God are saved by His grace and not by their own good deeds. “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast” (Ephesians 2:8).

Many people entertain wrong ideas about the grace of God. They think that they merit grace by something they do. Now, if we can obtain salvation by the merit of our own moral attainments, God would be indebted to us, for “to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt” (Romans 4:4). But God is indebted to nobody. God saves the sinner, not on account of human merit, but simply because He chooses to be good and kind. Salvation is a free gift. If you had to pay for a gift, it would not be a gift at all. Thank God, salvation is a gift of grace, and the Christian is always boasting about the goodness of God.

I often encounter this objection: “If this is so, then I need not do any good and I can be saved just the same.” But such reasoning is fallacious. It only shows that the Gospel is not yet understood as it should be. The children of the heavenly kingdom are saved, as the apostle Paul explains in Ephesians 2:8-10, “not by works,” but “for good works.” Good works are the purpose, and not the cause, of salvation. God first saves a person and gives him a new heart in order to produce much fruit for His glory.

To illustrate, let's say two men give ten dollars for charity. Outwardly, it appears that both did the same deed; but their motives may be totally different. The first did so, thinking he would obtain merit for salvation. The second, knowing how much God loves him, willingly and joyfully helps others. The first one is a Pharisee; the second one is a child of God.

God bless

-reply by Michelle

Catholics are Christian? I know is not.

Catholicism Vs. Christianity

<a href=http://forums.xisto.com/topic/83041-topic/?findpost=1064297414 to VisionGraffix</a>

The reason I say Christians are not Catholics is because in the bible, book of acts 11:26 says:

26 and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

It has always been Christian. Catholics have added stuff and doctrines that are not biblical. In order to keep the method of salvation true you have to stick to what the bible says. The author and method of salvation was preached and done by JesusChrist.

The true way to know when a doctrine is true is through the word (bible).

Now Paul in the book of Galatians 1:6 says this concerning other doctrines:

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel� 7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

See my beloved?, Paul says that the gospel was preached by Christ and that even he or someone else or an angel preached another doctrine let him be condemned.

Hope this helps you. Stick to the word and the word will guide you. You do not need purgatory, works etc. All you need is faith in Christ and the promise of the Holy Spirit that will lead you in the right path. Amen!

Now to me the a Christian is follwers of Christ; that means that you follow what Christ said an did without adding or taking away from the bible and of what Christ preached. The main reason I say this is because this is what Christ did; Fullfill the word.

God bless you.

-reply by george

I see a progressive development of the relationship that God is offering to a maturing human race, exeplified first by the words in Isaiha 1:1-11, which basically says that what God wants is obedience not sacrifice. But then in the New Testament, Jesus explains that it (all of the law and prophets) was all about love (Matt 22:36), and Paul explains throughout his epistles that Christ brought about a change in a relationship to God from one that is about legalistic formulas and rules to one of primarily about faith.

Thus the message is that not only is obedience better than sacrifice, but love and faith is better than obedience. It not even really true that God's desire has changed but only our understanding of it, because even back in Isaiha 1:1-11 we even see that the obedience God longs for is all about how we treat our fellow human beings in Isaiha 1:17, "cease to do evil, learn to do good, seek justice, correct oppression, defend the fatherless, plead for the widow." And when Jesus said, "Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice'", He is quoting Hosea 6:6, "For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings."

The knowledge of God that Jesus brings in the Beatitudes and parables of the Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son is that God's heart is for the poor and downtrodden, least and the lost, those who are suffering and without hope. If we know this heart of God then a love for Him must translate into a love for them and we cannot imagine that we are obedient to God is we overlook them. Jesus also made this clear, by telling us that our love for Him is found in how we treat children and the stranger at the door who is in need.

Thus, I can somewhat appreciate a criticism of and objection to Catholicism that sees it as turning the liberty of Christ back into a religion of rules and law. I can share the criticism of those that seem to be making Christianity all about dogmas, ceremonies, and divinely appointed authority. But the criticism of George here is not like that at all. For he is also making it all about following the teachings that are in the Bible alone, and by doing so he himself is also making it all about what is the right rules and right authority to follow. Now I am a Protestant and I do agree with the 5 "solas" including "Sola Scriptura" declaring the Bible to be the only authority which God has put into our hands. BUT like all of Christianity this should be a word of liberation and grace and not of chains and judgement that George seems to be making it into. And so I quote to George the words of Jesus in John 5: 39, "You search the scripture because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life."

Salvation is not found in the Bible but in a relationship with God, and how are we to judge such a thing? Well better not at all so that we are not judged with the same judgement we give, but back in that same gospel of John, how did Jesus ask us to judge Him? John 10:32, "I have shown you many good works from the Father, for which of these do you stone me?" They judged Jesus based on rules like working on the Sabath and for blasphemy and clearly it is not their example that we should follow but Jesus, who said in John 10:37, "if I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father".

Most places in the world where Protestant missionaries go to serve the people and bring the gospel, there you will find that Catholic nuns and missionaries are already there first. These are the good works that speak louder than rules and dogmas and tell us that the Father and Jesus can be found there in the Catholic church moving people to do His work. Do I believe Catholics when they say that no one comes to God except through the Catholic church? No, I do not. But I do see the works of Catholics all around the world and just as Jesus said, even though I do not believe what they say, I believe in the good works and know that God works through these poor sinners just as I sincerely hope that God works through the poor sinner that is me as well.

OK. Catholicsm is like the ver earliest christianity, but many different forms of christianity have split apart beacause the catholic church has become very corrupt and has many views that differ from the bible themselves. For instance they believe that the pope is the only one to whom god speaks to while in reality anyone can speak to god through prayer. they also trreat the pe as god when he is far from it. (he's an elected official) which is against one of the ten commandments. (you may have no other god before me) and many popes in the past have been corrupt and evil. also many catholic priest become pediphiles (sp) and are not kicked out of the church. Ok those are the main diffs. (abouve are what catholics do and christians don't)*this post was in no way made to hammer catholics* (though it may appear that way)

Reading all of this has certainly answered nothing for me anyway, the more I question the more questions I have.

Good! That is the way it is supposed to be. Only those who are not only uneducated morons but also those who willfully refuse to learn anything actually retain the childish belief that the "experts" have all the answers. The truth is that the greatest scientists, philosopher, and scholars have more questions than anyone else. You see they have chosen the way of expanding consciousness, and becoming more and more aware of the world around them they see that much more which they can ask questions about.

The most difficult thing though is that religion is used in the wrong way it seems, with attitude trying to prove who has the upper hand, I don't think that's how we ought to go about it,

Just like everything else that human beings do there are those will find a way to use it for stupid, selfish, and ignorant purposes. Will you tell an infant that crying isn't they way they should go about getting what they need? LOL We are all infants. We are all growing up. We are all learning what is the right way of going about things. That is... as long as we don't indulge in the pretense that we are all grown up now and know everything already.

I myself am a Catholic I am trying to figure out; what exactly is the difference between Catholics and Christians,

Well everyone has their own categories. For myself, I see that there are the Christians who think it is all about Jesus and it is He who is in command of His church (and therefore not for any human person to say who is Christian and who is not) and there are the pseudo-Christian cults who put themselves in command of what they call Christianity taking it upon themselves to say what is Christian and what is not. But these are not just two boxes but a whole spectrum of human behavior and Catholicism is somewhere in that spectrum just as the previous poster named Michelle is somewhere in that spetrum. But while Michelle represents one point on that spectrum the Catholic church is an enormous body that embraces practically the whole spectrum. I certainly have encountered Catholics with a cultish attitude that being Catholic and following its teachings and programs is the only measure of ones Christianity, but I find the cultish behavior of anti-Catholic Protestants even more pronounced.
Anyway, it is because everyone sees things in different ways, that we need to look at the consensus, and the largest Christian consensus is that Chrisitiantiy is defined by the decisions of the earliest Chrisitan eccumenical councils and the most inclusive of these is the Nicean council and the creed they agreed upon as the definition of Christianity.

I have noticed that catholics are not mentioned in the bible

No the term "catholic" was added to the creed in the second eccumenical council of 381 AD, and it is a creed that is embraced by Catholic and Protestant alike. The word "catholic" simply means universal and so the "catholic church" is simply the church of all Christians. Catholic and Protestant interpret this differently it is true. While Protestants typically understand this to refer to the collective of all Christians organized and administered by Christ Himself quite independent of any organizations of men, the Catholics understand this to mean their organization as a visible manifestation which is guided by Christ to be of service to all mankind and not just for Catholics.

unless there is a different word for it in the great book, much of the bible I don't understand, for instance why were some people Gods chosen people, who were given the strength to overcome other tribes or peoples, the murdered women children, and took their livestock,

Look we are all just people who find meaning and value in lots of different things. Some can find meaning in mathematics and some cannot. Some find meaning in science and some do not. Some find important meaning in the word "God" and some do not. Some find meaning in Christianity and some do not. I see great meaning in all of these things. In the case of God I will only point to my blog. In the case of Christianity the principles and dynamics of parenting is probably my best lens through which the meaning of Christianity is revealed to me (although my earliest explanation can be found here)
It is my experience that parenting is one of those truly messy things that quite often requires the parent to do the most unpleasant things. This is symbolized by that first and universal mess that every parent must face, the poopy diaper. That this applies in the case of God is made absolutely clear to me in the story of the flood in Genesis 6:5-11:9. There you can see the anguish of a parent over children who have given themselves over to evil completely and then at the end God's determination to do the unpleasant things because that has proven necessary for our redemption.

But is God about parenting or is He about religion? Read the beginning of Isaiah and you will find that religion doesn't interest Him. What interests Him is His children growing up and behaving in a more mature manner.

I thought we were all equal, clearly battle was part of human nature but does that mean that God chose sides? If so is that what we are doing right now, who is better?

All around us is the evidence that we are not equal in any actuality. So what does our equality actually consist of? We were created in the image of an infinite God. But what does that mean? Well the only way that finite beings can partake of and reflect infinity is in an infinite potentiality. But that potential is not something we can find or realize on our own. That can only happen in the eternal life that can be found in a relationship with an infinite Parent. In His love, in His care, in His instruction we can surpass all our limitations and it is in this alone that we are truly equal. Edited by mitchellmckain (see edit history)

It is called SCHISMCatholicism Vs. Christianity

In this world people got too comfortable calling themselves "christians" where as they are being contradiction to the Word themselves..If you want an indepth view of christianity you have to be familiar with justice and good. And learn to justify people based on their motives and works and not by their words alone.

The Bible is the word of God, period, the 39 books of the old and 27 of the new testament, and any additions Apocphyra, Maccabes and other additions, like the Book of Mormon are false teachings. No man comes to the father except through me, Jesus tells us. Believe in the one who he has sent, plain and simple. Jesus tells us to be like children. Read the Bible, there you will find truth through God's holy scripture. Call no man father in this world. Belief in Jesus Christ as our personal lord and saviour is our command from God. Sin came into the world through Adam, and separated man from God. God gave Moses the law but saw that man still sinned, and could not be saved through the law. God sent his only son to die on the cross to pay the required penalty for man's sin, all sin, in the past present and future. On the cross, Jesus bore the entire burden of sins penalty, he cried out Eli, Eli lema sabachtanni, my God my God why have you forsaken me, as the full burden of sin and separation from God the Father was placed on our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus then cried out "It is finished", at this moment he had paid the price for all of man's sin and satisfied the requirement for God's justice., once and for all time.God did this so that man would have a pathway to eternal life through his son Jesus Christ and his death on the cross paid the required penalty for man's sin, once and for all time All that is required of anyone is to accept Jesus Christ as your personal lord and saviour, faith and acceptance of God's free gift of grace, which is not deserved, and cannot be earned.It is not by works that we are saved but by Faith through God's free gift of grace, 'lest no man boast'. Jesus ascended into heaven after his death and atonement for sin, and sent the holy spirit to guide the hearts of those who believe in him and accept his grace and forgiveness. A pathway to salvation is available to all who believe and the holy spirit helps us all to fight our sinful nature here on earth. No man is righteous no not one, all fall short of the glory of God, but Jesus through his sacrifice and grace put a pathway to eternal salvation and unity with God the Father if we simply have faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour and accept his free gift of grace.

MichelleCatholicism Vs. ChristianityReplying to iGuestThanks Michelle for stating the truth. Raised Catholic, God's holy scripture in the Bible was "interpreted" for me with much confusion, intermediaries, and false doctrine, Apocphyra, Maccabes and Roman catechism, their enlightened intepretation of the word. God tells us to be like children, call no man father here on earth, and believe in the him who he has sent. The Bible was given to us as our guide, and if we educate ourselves by studying God's word, we can be freed from false teachings and learn the truth.God did not want his work and message salvation to be a mystery, requiring legions of Pharisees to interpret for us. Adam sinned and all men inherited a sinful nature, and all were separated from God. God gave Moses the law, but man proved incapable of adhering to the law and sin continuted to dominate the world and man was lost. God in his loving mercy, sent his only Son, Jesus Christ to this world to die on the cross and pay the required penalty for sin, and to demonstrate his love, mercy and glory, to show man his nature in Jesus Christ's perfect life.It is by faith in Jesus Christ that we have a pathway to eternal life and acceptance of God's free gift of grace, not by works are we saved, lest no man boast. The Good News is for all who believe in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour, and no one can separate us from his everlasting love and mercy. Jesus told the apostles I must return to the Father, in order that the holy spirit can come down into the hearts of believers and help us fight our sinful nature here on earth and change our heart to the truth of Jesus Christ.Catholicism traps the believer into everlasting guilt, shame, and worry that they must continue in ritual and penance, and human effort in order to be saved. This sad, gloomy picture haunts and discourages the individual, and postulates that even after death, a purification period is required in the lie of purgatory.No man comes to the Father except through me, Jesus tells us. We simply need to open our heart, to Jesus Christ, believe that he is our personal Lord and Saviour, died on the cross, paid the entire price for all sin, from the past present and future. Jesus cried out Eli, Eli, Lema sabachtanni, my God my God why have though forsaken me, as the full price of sin was paid out on his sacrifice on the cross to save mankind from eternal death. Jesus then cried out "It is finished". Jesus paid the price for sin, once and for all, there is no more cost to be born by those who believe. Even children can understand this simple but infallible truth. Thank you Jesus Christ for your sacrifice, love, mercy and unending grace.-reply by Critter

THe Catholic Church was not the Original ChurchCatholicism Vs. Christianity

Most of all Catholic ritual and tradition is not documented in the Bible.  They we're not the first church either. Early believers in Jesus, met underground and where fleeing from persecution from both the Jewish authorities and the Romans.  Many were tortured, crucified, beaten, imprisioned became spectacles in the colisium being fed to lions.  These early believers died horrible deaths because of they're faith in the Truth, which is Jesus Christ (Jeshua).  The true church is the temple of your body, but fellowship with other believers is Very important which is what the original church was. The truth of Jesus, and his word, should set you free not bind you to a life of vain rituals and repititous prayers.  I urge Catholics to read The Bible and let Gods word become your life, there you will find out how powerful and real and true his Grace is and how True his love is for you.

Catholicism and Biblical Christianity are divergent religions. They are built on different foundations, and they propose different ways of salvation.

In principle, Christianity is built solely on the Holy Scriptures, the written Word of God. The Bible is our only infallible rule of faith, being sufficient to give us the sure knowledge of the Gospel for our salvation and holiness.

Roman Catholicism demands submission of the intellect and will to the doctrines taught by the Roman magisterium (the Pope and bishops). It is claimed that the Catholic Church derives its doctrines from the "sacred deposit" found in Scriptures and Sacred Tradition. However the faithful cannot verify these doctrines by referring to the original sources. The Scriptures are inaccessible because only the magisterium is able to establish the authentic meaning. Similarly the contents of Sacred Tradition can only be known through the magisterium. Roman Catholicism is mental and spiritual slavery to the Vatican.

As expected, since the foundations are different, so also are the edifices built upon them. Christianity stands on the Gospel of God's sovereign grace. In love, God predestines His chosen ones to be adopted as sons through Jesus Christ, their sole mediator. The Son became man and gave His life as a ransom to secure their freedom from sin. Being dead in sin, they are completely unable to convert ourselves or merit God's favour. Therefore God graciously grants His people repentance and faith to turn to Him and trust in Christ Jesus for salvation. Believers are accepted in Christ, solely on the merit of His righteousness and blood, and not because of any goodness or human merit. God also resides in His people by the Holy Spirit, enabling them to obey and glorify the Father, and to guarantee their inheritance in heaven forever.

Rome's "gospel" is not good news at all. The Roman institution, calling itself "The Church", usurps Christ's mediatorial office, proclaiming herself as the "sacrament of salvation." The "Church" dispenses salvation to her faithful in small portions, starting at baptism and continuing throughout life. Forgiveness can only be obtained through the sacrament of penance. The benefits of Christ's sacrifice are accessible through the sacrifice of the Mass. Instead of teaching the faithful to rest in Christ by faith, Catholics are taught to perform religious works to "merit grace" and to do penance to make satisfaction. Even after death, Catholics remains dependent on the "Church" to relieve their suffering in Purgatory by masses and indulgences.

The Roman Catholic Church is a mighty obstacle to anyone seeking salvation, enslaving millions of people to a religious system and preventing them from coming directly to Christ.

The choice is between the Bible and the Roman magisterium; the choice is between salvation by grace through faith in Christ, or through human merit and effort in the Roman religion.

My family is in to catholicism and my older sister is in to christianity.And she does not belive in saint, said that Virgin mary has no power to make miracles and I belive her beause has it not ever crossed your mind how does she make miracles, not because she gave birth jeuse crist my sister helped me open my eyes

if anything, it should be Christians vs. Protestants as it makes a lot more sense.Catholicism Vs. Christianity

Amen brother, or sister, not sure you're a boy or a girl. While I do consider protestants Christians because they are "following Christ", yes protestants, thats the more biblcal term, not "accepting him as you're Lord and savior", which is true, but "following Christ" is better, I don't believe Protestants are following TRUE Christianity. Doesnt mean they wont make it to heaven, just means they aren't doing it the more direct way, which is the Catholic Church, which is the only TRUE church. Sorry protestants, before the reformation, the Church that the bible talks about was always known as the Catholic Church and not this invisible church of the believers that Mr. Luther came up with.

-Proud member of Christ's One, True, Holy, Apostolic, CATHOLIC, Church :)

-reply by Travis

I agree 100% with those that say Catholicism and Christianity are two different belief systems. I've studied enough of both to know they are. I believe the Bible is the Word of God and the final authority. Catholicism is not based on the Bible. Sure, the Bible is regarded as scripture, but Catholicism has many sources of authority, and this is the problem. The Catholic Church teaches the Word of God consists of the Bible, The Catechism, holy tradition, and the Church, or the decisions of the Vatican. Unfortunately, the Catechism and the Bible are vastly different of a great number of foundational doctrines even salvation. That's huge! Catholicism teaches a different way to heaven that what the Bible teaches. I've discussed this with many for years and the argument always boils down to what is the final authority. In other words, what source do you find to be true?As I've studied history, I've learned that Catholicism came about under the Roman Emperor Constantine. He opened the door for Christianity, but the people didn't want to lose their ways, so they ended up with a mix of Roman Mythology and Christianity. That's what Catholicism is. Roman mythology is where many Catholic beliefs came from such as the saints, belief in Mary, confessionals, purgatory, etc. None of these doctrines are supported by the Bible. In fact, they are condemned. For example, try to find the doctrines of the saints in the Bible. It's not there. As for Mary, the Catechism teaches she was born without sin and remained sinless, and it's okay to pray to her because she intercedes for us. The Bible says in Rom 3, "There is no one righteous, not even one, and For all have sinned." I could list dozens and dozens of differences. But beyond that, Catholicism teaches an alternate way to God, but I believe this way is completely, and utterly false. It is a religion. It is a system of beliefs and customs, but really has little to do with creating or fostering a real relationship with God through Jesus. It is a counterfeit. No offense to anyone but through prayer and study I came to the conclusion that Catholicism is a cult, a diversion, or a counterfeit with many diversions to keep us from God such as Mary, the saints, and the church. It was made my man, or the enemy, to actually keep men from God. It has some of the same characters, and it is similar in many ways, but nevertheless, it is a diversion. Jesus told us we must be Born Again, and by receiving Him, we are made new creatures, and then and only then are we forgiven of all our sins, past, present, and future because Jesus paid the price for all sin. We are orphans until we receive Jesus, but then we are adopted by God.-reply by Gossman

Catholicism Vs. Christianity - How do they differ?Catholicism Vs. Christianity

There are ancient Christian groups like the Coptic, Armenian, Ethiopic, Chaldean, Malabar and Syriac Churches that have no connection to Rome. Their beliefs however, aside from the primacy of the pope are alnost the same as Catholicism and they claim apostolic origins. They have sacraments, priesthood, tradition and scripture. They offer the Body and Blood of Christ in sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins and have a faith and works theology which they also claim was passed to them by the apostles. They have saints and a great devotion to the Mother of God. These things are not unique to the Church of Rome and to suggest that it was all hatched there by Roman popes and bishops is at odds with the facts. Why people completely ignore churches of the ancient world is beyond me. In all countries that the apostles preached and spread the faith, the Christianity professed flies in the face with any of the fundamentals of the Reformation. There is no sola scriptura, sola fidei or sola gratia in any of these places. Most occidentals, believes that Christianity is something hatched in the western world, which it is not. In the ancient Christian lands which were the cradle of the faith (aside from Rome), the politics that brought about the Reformation were not a factor. The confusion that the Reformation wrought just isn't present in these countries, though the scourge of evangelicalism is slowly but surely bringing a myriad of made to measure, suit your own bias brands of pseudo-Christianity which were unimaginable until now.  The idea of equating Protestantism with Christianity is wrong because it implies that the true faith was largely absent from the world until some grumpy 16th century men from Germany, Switzerland, England, Ireland and Scotland who were smarter than the rest revealed their wisdom. Interestingly enough, even they would cringe at what Protestantism has become and are likely rolling in their graves because of all the havoc they've unleashed. Nothing any of them ever said or professed comes close to the jingling, jangling, let's jump for Jesus, 'Christian' rock, send me $2000,000, the end of the world is tomorrow evangelical Protestant religion concocted in the US and other Western countries.Ignorance of Christian history, a good helping of prejudice and a warped view of what constitutes the Christian world is the surest way to remain a firm Protestant.  

-reply by Paul