xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

Lan Problem where do I keep going wrong?

I have been TRYING to get my self networked with a fairly small network. I have a D-Link Wireless Router (I can supply specs if needed) and I keep trying to ket my main PC to talk to my laptop. I tried the Microsoft Network Setup wizard and it's a flop. Nothing seems to work! I want to be able to open my E:\ for sharing over the network so I don't have to keep unplugging the USB cable. Also, I would like to network in my printer too as unplugging and re-plugging USB cables is starting to drive me nuts!Thanks for if you can help me! I just don't know where I messed up!

What is the connection setup of your attempted network? Is it as follows?

Computer -----Ethernet----------D-Link Router--------------Wireless Adpater-Laptop
| |
| |
Printer Internet

What kind of wireless adapter do you have?
Have you properly configured the router?
(If not, try going to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ on a computer that can access the internet through the router)

What is the connection setup of your attempted network?  Is it as follows?

Computer -----Ethernet----------D-Link Router--------------Wireless Adpater-Laptop

|                                            |

|                                            |

Printer                                    Internet

What kind of wireless adapter do you have?

Have you properly configured the router?

(If not, try going to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ on a computer that can access the internet through the router)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, this might seem stupid but here is how I'll explain it:

Computer --------D-Link Router ------Wireless----Laptop

This is what it looks like right now. My computer is plugged directly into the router using cat 5 ethernet cable. Then the laptop uses the wireless functions. Could this be my problem then? Google is so hard to look something specific up so all the guides I found didn't help any. If anyone has a good one that could help me, by all means I'll take the link.

Thanks

Make sure your laptop has a wireless adapter, either a PCMCIA or bult in one. If it doesn't, there's your problem. If it does, make sure a) you have the most up to date driver for the adapter and :P you have the exact same settings set on your wireless adapter as you do on the router. Then try running the network wizard using the option for a network hub (you must choose other on the first page then click next, it is on the second page). Make sure you try and connect both computers to the same network (the same name) and give each of them a unique ID. To share files and printers, use the wizard to enable sharing.

I would also recommend referring to the D-Link knowledge base and seeing if anyone there has this problem and has been given the solution. http://support.dlink.com/supportfaq/

I would also recommend referring to the D-Link knowledge base and seeing if anyone there has this problem and has been given the solution. http://support.dlink.com/supportfaq/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok... I will go there later.

As for my laptop, it has a built in wireless adapter but to turn it on, I press a button next to the power button. So I am not sure how to update the drivers for it but I will look into it.

Thanks a whole lot for the help! :P

Hey,When connecting to a network with a wirless adapter you need to configure the router with your mac address. on most new ibm's with bilt in wirless this can be found in the radio settings in the task bar you also need to set the wep key.all this can be alterd in the router controll panel (192.168.0.1)

The short answer, yes it's possible depending on your adapter. Some adapters passively receive radio signals and cannot broadcast them so they cannot be used as a router. Some adapters active search for signals through the use of their own weaker signal and can be used as a small router. However, this requires a lot of messing with system settings and probably some third party software wich may or may not be free. So in my opinion, it's worth getting a router.

Hey,

When connecting to a network with a wirless adapter you need to configure the router with your mac address. on most new ibm's with bilt in wirless this can be found in the radio settings in the task bar you also need to set the wep key.

all this can be alterd in the router controll panel (192.168.0.1)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm... In English please? Ok, I am at my routers control panel... on the page after I log in, I see this message:

The DI-524 is an Wireless Broadband Router ideal for home networking and small business networking. The setup wizard will guide you to configure the DI-524 to connect to your ISP (Internet Service Provider). The DI-524's easy setup will allow you to have Internet access within minutes. Please follow the setup wizard step by step to configure the DI-524.

But I currently don't have broadband... just AOL on both this machine and my laptop. I just want to use it for sharing a printer and sending files from one machine to the other.

Thanks

Have you set up the wireless settings on the router?Do you know if the laptop connects to the wireless adapter?What O/S?We need to identify at what stage the process is failing, as there are a number of small parts that could be going wrong.You will need to ensure that your wireless settings are correct. If you have enabled a WEP encryption key (recommended or else anyone with a wireless laptop around your area could get into your system), you need to make sure that the wireless network connection on your laptop is set up to use that key.Have a look at your network connections on your laptop. There may be an icon for this in the system tray, else try the control panel. There will probably be a couple of options, such as Local Area Connection, Wireless Network Connection, possibly a connection for AOL depending on how it is set up on your laptop etc.If the Wireless is already connected, make sure that you are sharing files on your main PC that you want to view with your laptop.Another thought, what O/S are you using? Windows XP SP2 enables Windows Firewall by default and will disrupt network communications unless file sharing is added to the 'exceptions' list of the firewall. Either that or you could disable the firewall completely, but that's probably not recommended for security reasons.I have used D-Link routers before and they are very easy to set up - just a matter of finding out what's failing.Keep in touch,Roger

Have you set up the wireless settings on the router?Do you know if the laptop connects to the wireless adapter?
What O/S?

I think they are correct. I have some clue but not a lot in what I am doing. Both computers are running Windows XP (No service pack as SP2 has MAJOR issues of slowing down my machines to where an old Pentium 1 @ 300 mhz Windows 98 runs faster.

You will need to ensure that your wireless settings are correct. If you have enabled a WEP encryption key (recommended or else anyone with a wireless laptop around your area could get into your system), you need to make sure that the wireless network connection on your laptop is set up to use that key.

I think I have them set up correctly. I can get you any settings you want (screen shots or whatever is needed.

Have a look at your network connections on your laptop. There may be an icon for this in the system tray, else try the control panel. There will probably be a couple of options, such as Local Area Connection, Wireless Network Connection, possibly a connection for AOL depending on how it is set up on your laptop etc.If the Wireless is already connected, make sure that you are sharing files on your main PC that you want to view with your laptop.

I have my E:\ up for sharing... maybe I will check this computer's firewall. Although no message pops up it could be a firewall problem. I have Norton Internet Security 2004 on both machines.

Another thought, what O/S are you using? Windows XP SP2 enables Windows Firewall by default and will disrupt network communications unless file sharing is added to the 'exceptions' list of the firewall. Either that or you could disable the firewall completely, but that's probably not recommended for security reasons.

SP2 has caused me so many problems that I even had to get in-touch with Microsoft Tech Support to figure out what is wrong with SP2. I told them that I got so frustrated with my computer running so slow I un-installed it. It could be Norton though.
Thanks so far for the help!

A screenshot of the settings page for the router would help me out (people with D-link routers don't need one). Also, if you don't have it already, I recommend SP1, it doesn't have half the faults of SP2, and soon microsoft will not support your computer unless you have it. I do and so far it hasn't given me problems.

A screenshot of the settings page for the router would help me out (people with D-link routers don't need one). 

Ok, I'll get some online.

Also, if you don't have it already, I recommend SP1, it doesn't have half the faults of SP2, and soon microsoft will not support your computer unless you have it.  I do and so far it hasn't given me problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why I am switching to Linux. It is my revolt against Microsoft. I hate them. If anything, to control my router I will use WIN 2K which I can still purchase and get SPs for it.

I'm also switching to Linux (dual boot system). Be forewarned that getting your network to work in Linux may be harder than in Windows XP. However, I'm sure microscopic^earthling would be glad to help you out.