xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

Lan Problem where do I keep going wrong?

Ok... Well, it isn't a top priority to get my network working yet... I am just trying to find out where I went wrong... If I am planning on possibly dual booting Windows XP on a partition with Linux so I can still possibly mess around with the network... but this will be done on a spare hard drive so, I shouldn't have any problems.Thanks!

Just remember with the dual boot, read the instructions for your version of Linux carefully before doing anything. Make sure it is designed to have Windows installed first (since you already have Windows installed). I know Fedora requires(? It may only prefer) that Windows is installed first. Also, make sure you create a partition with VFAT formatting if you want to share files between Windows and Linux, (make this a separate partition from the one on which you install Linux).

Try image shack (http://imageshack.us/) for uploading the screenshots.  It is free, and offers unlimitted storage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I normally use photobucket but free and unlimited (yeah right!) is good too. I will have to wait to get the screen shots online as I am currently traveling and don't have the screen shots on my laptop. I will be back Saturday (next week) or Sunday at the latest as I only got 5 days off from school.

Thanks!

I have been TRYING to get my self networked with a fairly small network. I have a D-Link Wireless Router (I can supply specs if needed) and I keep trying to ket my main PC to talk to my laptop. I tried the Microsoft Network Setup wizard and it's a flop. Nothing seems to work! I want to be able to open my E:\ for sharing over the network so I don't have to keep unplugging the USB cable. Also, I would like to network in my printer too as unplugging and re-plugging USB cables is starting to drive me nuts!

Thanks for if you can help me! I just don't know where I messed up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To your first question.. you need to make sure that both the the computers have file and printer sharing allowed on them. ie. Check your firewall. then make sure to have them both on the same workgroups. This is not necessary but it does help streamline the process. Then it should be up and working.

Thanks,

Chris

Ok, I thought I would make this topic active again after I noticed something. The tower PC I am on (which I will call the server because it acts as one) DOES talk to my laptop. Ok, well,because I run a private test web server on this machine and it is connected directly to the router via CAT 5 networking cable, I activate Apache and MySQL. I turn on my laptop and connect to the wireless network.

I then open up IE and type: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ which is the server's internal IP address which I set to stactic so it could easily run as an internal server.

Well, the site I had setup showed which means that the server is allowing inbound network connections and that I am on the network. It just seems that I am having problems enabling file sharing.

My router is setup perfectly, and so are my computers. They hit the network. My problem is just enabling file sharing correctly and being able to access the machines remotely.

When I am in Windows Explorer, I sometimes notice a Map Network Drives menu. Is this what I need to use or what?

Thank you for all the help so far!

To have a folder (or drive) be shared across a network in Windows (at least in XP), right click on the folder and go to properties. Click on the sharing tab and select share this folder. Then add the settings you want and click okay. Then you are done and the sharing should work. The folder can be found in my network places.~Viz

do you thinks its possible to connect my 2 PC with just a blue cable, sorry im a newbie and i hont know what the cable is called

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ethernet cable, and yes, I think you can do that.

As for the network problem...I have a D-Link and it works great. Have you tried looking into the wireless settings of it?

Also, it could be a range or interference problem.

If not, Make sure your labtop is actualy set up for accepting connections...

This can be done through the xp setup wizard...and I know you said that's plop, but it works well.

Ah wells...that screenshot would be nice, you could also add me to msn if you have it, and then I could set up your comp for network access through the windows "help" feature-Remote Access.

I could probably help with that because I'm very well with things that I can see, but I don't really help much with vague descriptions :(.

Meh, Gl either way.

Btw, also try making it so that your windows group for all the computers is "MsGroup" or something else you find appropriate, it helps :D.

To have a folder (or drive) be shared across a network in Windows (at least in XP), right click on the folder and go to properties.  Click on the sharing tab and select share this folder.  Then add the settings you want and click okay.  Then you are done and the sharing should work.  The folder can be found in my network places.

~Viz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummm... well, my E: has this but I can't access it on any other computer! Go figure! What on earth am I doing wrong here? I know everything is correct!

Or is it the share name that I should change?

Posted Image

Well, the only real way I can share files is to load them into my intranet but I have to be on my tower in order to save any thing. I cheked my firewalls and, it allows port 80 obviously and if I had port 21 open, I could FTP into my machine remotely. I would have better luck setting my machine up as a web server.... I have apache installed and then I would just need a REAL ISP instead of this dinky AOL service and some more memory and faster CPU and I would be good.

But for now, I don't feel like FTPing over my own network into my own computer. I would just like it so as soon as I connect, under My Computer I can see my E: in any computer over the network.

Thank you!

Have you checked under My Network Places to see if the E: drive is there? Windows does not place networked drives in My Computer, but in My Network Places (the icon looks exactly like a networked folder icon, but the name will be something like computername\\c:\).~Viz

I just tried that and it worked!!! I LOVE YOU!!! I mapped my USB E:\ which was plugged into my laptop. I then mapped it on my tower and on another laptop and now it is set as Z:\ on all the computers... I figured that I will just use my tower as the main "server" for storage and junk.... Now I am working on my printer! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! I couldn't have figured this all out without you all!!Also, how do I make it so that when I hook a computer up to my network that mapped drives will automatically pop-up under My Computer? Thanks!Thanks!Nightfox

Notice from moonwitch:
consecutive posts merged on member's request