xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Seaworm

Disposable Phone Facias that grow sun flowers

Has anyone else heard of these apparently scientists have created a polymer that allows the plastic to de-compose easily and they say a main plan is to put plant seed in the cases so that when the facias are thrown away the seed can propogate and grow they give statistics that say every year i think it was like 12 million phone facias are thrown away and most people only keep a pnone on average for 2 years before they throw it awaySo what do you all think about this?

Hmm, interesting... What are phone facials? I've never heard of that thing, perhaps I'm too ignorant... Why don't they just plant seeds themselves? It'd be a lot easier to just plant them than to put them into plastic for others to "plant" it, isn't it? Also, some trash aren't thrown away into soil that's capable of nourishing plants, so most seeds won't even have a chance to start growing...

Has anyone else heard of these apparently scientists have created a polymer that allows the plastic to de-compose easily and they say a main plan is to put plant seed in the cases so that when the facias are thrown away the seed can propogate and grow they give statistics that say every year i think it was like 12 million phone facias are thrown away and most people only keep a pnone on average for 2 years before they throw it away

So what do you all think about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting, sounds like something they'd do in japan. Any sort of specific stimuli that triggers the decompositon? Or is it just an issue of time?

I have my douts on how eco freindly it is. Just because it will decompose doesnt mean its good for the envronment. Also what about the metals that are in the phone, will they decompose? And what if your dog burries your phone in the yard and next thing you know is that you see flowers coming up in weird places

plaster is a composite of petroleum... petroleum is not good for the environment.... I agree with verman on that... It is a good idea and all, but plastic should be melt and recycle for other plastic parts instead of using it for the environment... On another note, like mentioned by some guy up there about the Japanese solution. By having their own decomposing container of their own. It's pretty cool, and I see a lot of them hydroponics places are starting to carry stuff like that. And the best way I hear to expedite the processs of decomposing is putting worms in there, they are nasty but apparently help out with giving the dirt back its nutrients.... Anyway, back to the topic, phone faces and sunflowers has nothing to do with each other, that is the most irrelevant idea I have ever heard... but thats just me... Chin chin

You have to understand that most mobile phones get tossed in the garbage after a couple years and end up in landfills. At least with this phone you can plant the casing and grow a flower at the same time. I don't know what sort of effects the polymer will have on the soil when it biodegrades, but I would think that the company has done enough research to guarantee that it's not toxic. It would be cool if someone could get ahold of the MSDS or something for this polymer so we could get a better idea of what exactly it is and what it does. I'm curious to know what triggers the degradation of the plastic. It would suck to accidently leave your phone somewhere and then find out that your case has been disintegrated.As for recycling, only very certain kinds of plastic can be recycled. It usually takes a lot more energy to recycle them than to create them new. So you're balancing the evils of plastic buildup in landfill vs environmental degradation from energy usage.@ verman: I think the idea is that you just plant the casing. The guts of the phone that contains the metals has to be disposed of normally.

Older phones are going out of fashion incredibly quickly.. It's always the rush for the new model, and all you need is your SIM card and away you go. There's some special kind of metal used in phones which is mined in Uganda or some other African country like that, and here we've been asked to recycle our phones because the mining (as the mine expands with more need for the metal) is destroying the habitat of some kind of ape. So theoretically if we recycle our phones, the need for the metal will decrease and the apes will come back and stuff. The seed idea is like that - good in theory, perhaps, but not great in practise. The practical side of the recycling involves driving for 35 mins to and from this factory/plant where they can recycle the phones, and these days with time being so precious and all and especially the high petrol fees (where we are, anyway) not many people are recycling their phones. The bin just seems so.. Convenient.