xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Worst "trojan" Ever And It Takes Over Iexplore Horribly annoying pop-ups

Internet Explorer has been scammed! OK full details:

Problem?

A program which keeps popping up a window which says -

Windows is corrupted with spyware virus.

You must patch your pc urgently to protect your system

Private info is accessed by ports:

You can patch your pc for free now and delete all spyware viruses

Click ok to choose and download free spyware removal using AntiSpy

There is an OK and CANCEL button. It also has a "X" button at the top right hand. It is not a potentially dangerous trojan but it is DEAD annoying and my dad hates it and wants it out of his laptop. Personally i can't figure this out myself even with some help from professionals on the net. Finally, i posted it here in Xisto in desperation to get this done with.

Computer details?

Microsoft Windows XP SP1

Actually, so far the best site that 'helped' me understand a bit about this trojan-like thing is Extreme tech support. The help that the "admin" there didn't really help though. I cannot find the file inside my disk at all. What do i do?

I would really appreciate anyone who can help me get this irritable file out of my dad's laptop. Thanks!

Get ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy, run them both for free and will be found on google. Next ditch IE, get Firefox. Internet Explorer has put a sign on everyone saying "mug" so just use the Fox, atleast thats safer,

OK firstly, I've run all the free spyware prevention software and none did work. Spybot, ad-aware, spy-doctor, norton, everything! Secondly, my dad isn't the type that likes to "change". So well, he doesn't actually agree to me when i asked him to use firefox like 2 weeks ago. I keep asking him to use firefox but he never listens. There is no hope. I really need to get this solved...Thanks for your reply though....at least someone have read the post? :P

Use FireFox or DieSince IE is the most used browser most virus builders will focus on that and leave FireFox alone. [joke]:P.. So lets keep the number of Firefox users down, so the others can enjoy ad/spy/virus free internet :POr am i being a little selfish here :o :o [/joke]

From what I've read, it sounds like a VX2 infection. I understand the solution can be rather long and involved. Here's a link to a possible solution:

http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=8332

A lady named blender helped one person get rid of it. They used a program called HijackThis (HJT) to help. Good luck!

My dad was like that. So I changed Firefoxes layout to look almost exactly like I.E.'s layout including the bookmarks. Next i changed the desktop Icon to the blue internet explorer one and changed the text. My dad used Firefox for two weeks before I told him despite his previous claims that it would be too difficult to use. He asked me what pop up blocker I got and so spilt the beans, he laughed and said "I guess I could get used to it." In otherwords he wouldnt admit he was wrong.So I swapped the icons around again and to stop the habit of my dad clicking on I.E., I put a program that opens up 100 message boxes which all have to be clicked individually. Sometimes being sneaky is the only way.

Hey techocian, just want to let you know, there's an easier solution to get rid of that if it is a VX2 infection. Since you said you have had Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition, there is an add-on for it here at their homepage under the Add-ons section. Using HiJackThis! will help too but the VX2 Cleaner add-on is much easier to use.

Hmmm... I think it's interesting that whatever tool you used to scan your PC was able to report you had some sort of spyware but didn't bother to actually name it. As well, it said "spyware virus". Those terms are mutually exclusive. I question the legitimacy of the scanner you used... sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Please consider running the software other members mentioned above (HJT, SpyBotS&D etc.) to validate the scan results. If you genuinely have something on your system, these proggies will find it, name it and get rid of it. Pronto!Cheers,Phoenix :P

Heh...you unfortunate Windows user... It's more like microsoft puts a sign on all Windows products that say "mug", not just IE...Why does Microsoft make so much money, when their products are of the absolute worst quality? And who would actually pay money at all, let alone $200-$300 bucks PER installation, of an OS that has such a high rate of failure? I will never know...

Hmm....Try norton.Then convert to firefox.also maybe you could sue windows built in back up system?Then install adware SE personal editionLook through program files and the windows directory...Arrange the icons by last modified...Then look for suspicious things...See if you can then uninstall them through add remove programs.If not run adware and or norton.Then open up your cntrl alt delete thing...And go to processes.Close anything that looks very suspicious...Make sure you know what you're doing for that part.If all those fails and you cna't install a new browser...Try upgrading versions of IE to the latest...Or downgrade then upgrade :PAlso you could try SP2....Whenever somethigns wrong with my comp I follow those steps...Minus the ones specific for this problem...And My comp always gets fixed.Also...Try browsing more securely...Raise your preferences...Try not to look on ill made sites...But that's a acquired talent :o.Hope those help you out...From what I've seen try the add-on for add ware for the hijack thing :PL8r

OK firstly, I've run all the free spyware prevention software and none did work. Spybot, ad-aware, spy-doctor, norton, everything! Secondly, my dad isn't the type that likes to "change". So well, he doesn't actually agree to me when i asked him to use firefox like 2 weeks ago. I keep asking him to use firefox but he never listens. There is no hope. I really need to get this solved...

Thanks for your reply though....at least someone have read the post?  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since your dad isn't into the idea of switching over to Mozilla Firefox, you can either continue talk to him about it until he gives up one day or just improvise by immunizing your computer against such threats like ActiveX controls or tracking cookies with SpywareBlaster of use an IE shell like Maxthon and disable ActiveX controls. And please get rid of this infection before installing SP2 if you are using Windows XP. Some antivirus and antispyware might not detect the infection if it's VX2 or other similiar variants so you'll need specialized tools and try running your computer in Safe Mode and scan for it.

OK more information that might help:The window is a WINDOWS PROMPT window. So its not like a pop-up through the internet. The whole window "pops up" WITHOUT the internet on. And ad-aware, norton, spybot all doesn't work. I even tried Microsoft Anti-spyware! None works. Somehow i think I'll try the add-on for ad-aware for the hijack thing. That might really work although i don't really think its an VX2 infection because when i went to the site, the virus is vaguely like the one in my dad's comp but not totally. It might be the same type of spyware though so I will know its the same way to kill it as a VX2 infection.

I had a vx2 infection on my computer and it didn't really do what you are saying this is doing, I'd say say check for vx2 using the adaware plug in and if doesn't work, get HijackThis! and google the results it gives you. hopefully someone else has already had and fixed this problem themselves and left a step by step set of instructions on how to remove it. Just a warning on HijackThis!, it can be sort of confusing at first and it doesn't remove or fix anything, at least I'm pretty sure of that. It just tells you what your computer is doing so you can figure out what exactly is wrong. when you actually remove it, you'll be most likely editing your registry along with deleting files and killing processes so make sure you know what you are doing.