xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trekkie101

Whatpulse - Get Pulsing! Join the astahost team

Yup - I agree with skywalker. Apparently that was a bug in their first version - you could hold down keys and carry on forever.. On the other hand, I have a feeling they've gone down even further and could be monitoring the actual hardware keyboard port - it's possible with assembly and works real fast without hampering other appz.

OR just use lego to create a little robot that hammering your keyboard.But that is cheating and i would never do that, I just hammer on my keyboad myself. :PWatching cartoons and hammering a keyboard can be quite relaxing for some reason.

Btw.My friend stierenoog has decided to stop whatpulsing, because it's such a waste of keys/clicks, he has decided to register with us in order to increase our key/click count.I hope you don't mind.

Actually, whatpulse tracks keydowns. The moment you push down your key, the count goes up. But if you hold your key, the count doesn't go up. Also, if you press multiple keys at the same exact moment, the count still only goes up one. Heh, I noticed that right when I found the Geek Dialog, dunno why it took you guys so long to get a wrong answer... :P

He will end up caught, it tells you how many key presses every few seconds, it will track him and he may loose all his points.

you are not talking about me are you :P?

Actually, whatpulse tracks keydowns. The moment you push down your key, the count goes up. But if you hold your key, the count doesn't go up. Also, if you press multiple keys at the same exact moment, the count still only goes up one. Heh, I noticed that right when I found the Geek Dialog, dunno why it took you guys so long to get a wrong answer... :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naaah.. I think is actually measures KeyUp - the event which is fired when you release the key. If keydown was in action - it would have measures all the keystrokes that occur when you hold the key down. With keydown there's no way to detect whether you've pressed a single key or have kept the key pressed. All keystrokes (even if you're holding it down) generate the kbhit interrupt during this - that's how the computer knows that it is supposed to repeat the keystrokes - bcoz it's fed a continuous series of these interrupts. But the trick is in hooking onto the keyup int - coz that doesn't happen unless you physically release the key - so my best guess is that they've hooked the client onto this.

Nope, it's down, once I accidentally found out that it didn't record every character recorded if you hold down a key, I looked at my count, pressed a key, looked at my count, hadn't changed, let go of the key, looked at my count, +1. So definitely keyups.Oh and, I know my above post is confusing, because at first I said it was keydown, but it is 100% keyup as I said at the end. And I'm not going to use assembly to cheat, I'd have to leave the program running and it would interfere with my regular typing. Plus, cheating would become obvious because I'm in IRC where the !wp command is used so frequently.

This is a sad sad moment todayToday, the overall leader of the whatpulse team : Chinees aka jipman aka me :) has been beaten in mouseclicks bye microscopic^earhtling.While jipman has just 442k clicks, microscopic^earthling has exceeded me with 464k clicks :rolleyes:Luckily, I am still leading in the keys sector......For now :)