xisto Community
JohnNitro

Buying A Computer Change the language

I liv in Japan and want to buy a computer but all I can buy are japanese computers is there a way to change the language on it so I can read the text. I need it to still be able to type in Japanese but I want the rest to be in english. Also will there be problems when I try to download english software or will it be ok, and if there are problems what can I do to fix them, any advice on all these topics will help a lot. Oh yeah and whats a good computer to buy in Japan at least, hope I can get some help with this.

Is it going to have Windows installed on it? If so, go to your control panel > Regional and Language Options. Go to the Languages tab, and you should see a "default input language" thing. Change the drop-down menu to English. Restart the computer and you should be able to read English and use English programs. Although I think that the Japanese language does use english alphabets, so it's weird why it doesn't work...

Actually I'm very interested about this language thing. JohnNitro might be refering to the TOTAL interface of the computer OS in Japan is in Japanese. What i mean is like the windows, the settings of the computer. Is it all in English? Maybe the help files may be in Japanese too. Szupie, you said something about the default INPUT language right? Does it refer to the default language that you normally type in? Or is it the total system language change? JohnNitro, just to answer your question on your English software question, it is a definite yes. I don't see why english software will be affected by language settings. At most, you'll just see a bunch of weird letters which will supposedly be english but you just don't have the language being supported in your OS. (I'll never believe it when it happens)P.S Szupie, I'm quite sure the Japanese written language is in like a "chinese" style of writing. Sort of like pictograms you know?

Thanks for the information, So there will eb not problem with programs I download. And I will eb able to change the language??? Was that a yes for that or a no. What about a good computer to buy, but not to expensive I get less the 3 thousand I think would be ok. But can you help me find a good pc. I will mostly use it for program downloading and making animation and surfing the net so I would like a fast pc but I guess it would also depend on the connection but can I get some help with this. But once again thanks for the above information. I was worried because I was told you need a special software to change the language and that it was really expensive.

Why don't you buy a computer from overseas? I believe that Windows has a Japanese IME which allows you to type Japanese even in an English-language OS. Only problem is probably that you won't be able to use a Japanese keyboard, or maybe you might want to buy a japanese keyboard in japan and just buy a computer from overseas. Or you can just buy a japanese computer and install the English version of Windows on it.Or you could just get a Mac and save yourself all the trouble. *wink*

Thank you for the reply I`m looking into that. It would help a lot if its that simple. I was told that I can use the internet provideds well to be more sepific I can use the one I was looking at. They said you need a disk to set it up or something like that and the problem is that they dont have the disk and I have to get it but I talked to someone that has a dell american version and he told me he didnt need a disk. So Im still looking into it. But thanks for all the info if you knoww anything about this disk I need can anyone tell me or would getting the japanese IME solve that problem. Sory it took so long to post back but I have limited net time and that sucks, thats why I need a pc. Once again thank you for the help.

Don't forget Japan may have different sockets and things for power, so you might need adapters or replacement cables.Also I bought a cheap second hand computer here that appeared to be Japanese, with Windows XP, but no matter what I tried, I could not get it to go English.I'm not sure if it was hard-coded somehow but it really gave me the cramps lol, I ended up pulling it apart and keeping the bits and bobs for spare parts.Anyway, Good luck!!!!!