xisto Community
Dodger

Do You Fancy A Smoke?

The ingredients and additives in cigarettes when burned, create toxic, harmful chemical compounds. There are over 4000 chemicals in cigarette smoke, and more than 40 of them are known carcinogens. Smokers inhale some pretty disgusting things with every puff:

Tar yes, the same thing they use to pave streets and driveways. Ever notice how smoker?s teeth are yellow? Tar is responsible for that.

Hydrogen Cyanide This chemical is used to kill rats.Of course no one would willingly inhale this chemical which, under the name of Zyklon B, was used as a genocidal agent during World War II, but smokers do it multiple times with every cigarette they light. Because hydrogen cyanide is present in second hand smoke, nonsmokers are also at risk.

Hydrogen cyanide at room temperature is a volatile, colorless-to-blue liquid (also called hydrocyanidic acid). It rapidly becomes a gas that can produce death in minutes if breathed.

Benzene This chemical is used in manufacturing gasoline.

Acetone It?s in nail polish remover and it?s in cigarettes. Yum!

Formaldehyde This is what they use to preserve dead bodies. It?s also used as an industrial fungicide, is a disinfectant, and is used in glues and adhesives. It is classified as a human carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and as a probable human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency(EPA). According to an article in the American Journal of Public Health from November of 1982, formaldehyde in sidestream cigarette smoke is evident in concentrations of up to three orders of magnitude above occupational limits, which readily accounts for eye and nasal irritation. "Low-tar" cigarettes appear at least as irritating as other cigarettes. More than half the irritant is associated with the particulate phase of the smoke, permitting deposition throughout the entire respiratory tract and raising the issue of whether formaldehyde in smoke is associated with bronchial cancer(1).

Ammonia We use this chemical to clean our houses. The process of using ammonia to boost the impact of nicotine on the user is called "free-basing." Similar to the chemical process of free-basing cocaine, the end result is an enhanced effect of the drug. Nicotine exists in two forms, acid and base. When ammonia is added, it reacts with the acid form of nicotine in a cigarette and converts it to the base form. The base form vaporizes more easily from the smoke particles into a gas phase. As a gas, nicotine will deposit directly on lung tissue and begin to circulate immediately throughout the body.

Carbon Monoxide It?s in car exhaust, and it?s in cigarette smoke.

It's a colorless,odorless gas that is produced as a result of incomplete burning of carbon-containing fuels. Exposure to CO reduces the blood's ability to carry oxygen. Cigarette smoke can contain high levels of CO, as well as 200 other known poisons.

Breathing low levels of CO can cause:

fatigue

increased chest pain in people with chronic heart disease

In otherwise healthy people, breathing higher levels of carbon monoxide causes flu-like symptoms such as:

headaches

dizziness

weakness

sleepiness

nausea

vomiting

confusion

disorientation

...after reading this...do you still want a cigarette?

that's insane!! I mean it makes sense about all the chemicals and what they do (rat poison sheesh!!) But the crazy part is that who would come up with putting all that stuff into a product? I mean could it BE any more deadly?? "Yes, lets put a dash of rat poison, oh and some cleaning agent just for good measure. But we're still not being evil enough to our consumers. What else can we do to make this product more dangerous. Think people!!" And so on... :blink: I've never smoked, but at college there were a lot of kids who did. I think it's because it's so cold out, and walking around so far on campus, got to do something to keep warm maybe :angry:

What you have listed are enough good reasons for not to smoke. I do not smoke and I feel that life would be much better without smoking. But in my country smokers and non-smokers receive almost the same amount of smoke each day. Which is a sad thing. I do not fancy smoking at all. I rather think cheap.

Each time I read things like this, I am happy for never have fallen in smoke?s temptation, which is easy because I never liked it.I proved it when I was a teenager and it didn?t like me... after smoking a pair of cigarettes I got the mouth dry and tasting horrible... I?m not surprised with the fact that cigarettes have all those awful substances... it tastes bad :blink:In my country now the government puts threatening slogans, pics of black lunges and disgusting things like that :angry: which is very hypocritical because its an important incoming source.

One ofthe biggest reasons people are still smoking so much is because of the social pressure to fit in. In one are of my campus, every day there will be about 20 asian students, all smoking like there was no tomorrow. I guess that being there and not smoking would be pretty awkward.

Hehe funny post... I'm a smoker but that news won't scare me, I rather die from smoking (as there is a possibility to do from it) then to die from the gasses wich come from cars, factories and airplanes wich spit chemicals in the air as well (ever heard of Chemtrails? :angry: ) and those chemicals are more harmfull then those in tobacco...

Sjeesh man. I stopped smoking about two months ago. I've smoked of an on for about 15 years, usually with 2 year intervals.

But I don't subscribe to the scare tactics you're spreading. Let me clue you in; LIFE is deadly. Cyanide is present in the air, soil, food and water around us. So is a lot of the other stuff you name.

Tell you what; YOU lock yourself in a room with air purifiers, humidifiers, eat your organics without poison, meat, fat, carbs and taste, live to be a hundred and twenty. I'll be outside, soaking in the (skin cancer causing) sun, drinking a (liver busting) beer, smoking a (lung cancer causing) cigarette and die at seventy.

Now which one of us do YOU think has really lived?

I would be really shaken if I read this when I was still smoking,but luckily I quit 3 months ago. It feels so good to be non-smoker again. You just don't have to smoke,so don't. Enjoy your life in other ways.