xisto Community
nakulgupta

About Phpbb

phpBB version 2 has been completely re-written since the first version. Version 2 focuses on a professional-quality modular design, high security, multiple-language interface, support for a multitude of databases servers and complete layout customisation, all with a low execution overhead.

phpBB is based on PHP, the fastest growing server-side scripting language on the web, which results in one of the fastest, feature-rich bulletin board systems available anywhere.

In addition, phpBB is open-source software so it has no fees, no subscriptions, and no restrictions on modifications. Couple this with a thriving and friendly phpBB community and you have a killer solution for creating communities on your site!

Complete Features

Notice from micoscopic^earthling:
Wrong forum. What's New is solely meant for sharing some new technical/computing fact that you learned recently. Topic moved.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

A few things I'd like to point out before anyone seriously considers phpBB

high security

Yeah, that claim still standing?

multiple-language interface

Yeah most big BBS have that.

friendly phpBB community

As proved by howdark, they told them to get lost after reporting a bugThey shout at people who dont understand things
Argumentative bunch

Sorry if anyone is offended but phpBB have annoyed me a great deal lately. With there "security".

I mean someone got hacked about 6 hours before a fix and was responded with "You should have upgraded". That is a terrible thing to do.

Also anyone reports my forumg ot hacked im running the latest version they get "I highly doubt that".

phpBB arent the "community builders", their past their prime now im sorry to say.

Youll see a good few alternatives here also, one of the best IMO being free (SMF)

Hope ive helped someone.

Youll see a good few alternatives here also, one of the best IMO being free (SMF)

Hope ive helped someone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could I ask for a few more suggestions? I currently use phpBB, and I find that I'm not thoroughly pleased with the experience. I'm not much of a fan of Invision Power Board either. I haven't tried SMF, but seeing as how it is included as a default installation script on my Xisto hosting account, I can give it a try. Given all of these things, what other message board/forum software would you recommend?

As a post-script, I would like to also mention that I prefer simpler boards with the ability to add on new features. While phpBB had a large selection of add-ons and hacks, I would prefer to have more lightweight boards.

Thanks in advance!

You would probably like punBB. Its realy is a lightweigtboard. Its an older board and fantastico doesn't have it, but you could try googling for it. There also serveral cms scripts like xoops that have a forum built in them. I realy like the one that comes with Xoops. Phpnuke has a phpBB forum built in, but you probably want that. IPB is the most sercure BB, but SMF is more advanced and has more options. SMF is often considered as a "professional or buisness support forum".

...  SMF is often considered as a "professional or buisness support forum".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, could you please elaborate what you mean by that. Are you saying SMF is appropriate for business websites who want customer feedback/forums etc? Or would it be just as good for general discussion forums, like phpbb is supposed to be.

I've been using phpbb on a free forum for a while, while it seems to be stable and does the job, it is limited in terms of admin features. Though the Olympus release - if it ever does happen :rolleyes: - is really needed.

But I do like the look & features of SMF. Up until now, the relative small user-base (compared with phpbb) was putting me off, but not anymore :)

snowcrash

I am struggling to see why he said that but I can see some logic, SMF has a security mentality, its built on a MUCH more secure basis than phpBB is, hacking it is VERY diificult and hasnt been done at all in SMFs existance. SMF can handle small forums or huge ones, it takes my site, t101.uni.cc, it manages http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/ and ofcoures takes simplemachines.org, its free and can be used anywhere, currently over or very close to 100 themes all free and more than 100 mods. Feature requests for next "Enchancement" of SMF are being taken.

Ill give a word on the advances so people dont get confused.

Its not a re-write but more of a feature expander, it almost doubles SMFs current features with a lot that people want/need, the SMF 1.0.X series are the first stable public releases, and the upgrades are just bug/typo fixes, SMF 1.1 which has been being made from about January is an expansion on the current code, it has new features that are added to the current SMF install, its the same code, with new added, most mods will still work, although some code dependent ones will change but mod authors will update pretty quick. It will be a quick upgrade as usual, probably taking a little longer than previous ones and I believe the Package Manager will still perform your upgrade for you so you dont need to remove your mods.

Call it "getting" better, If SMF 2 was in dev (Which it isnt even thought about) that would be a code re-write.

So when 1.1 arrives it will have new features, and 1.1.1 will be bug/typo fixes same for all the 1.1.X series.

Then if SMF 1.2 comes along, it will have new features. And SMF 1.2.X will be bug fixes and so on.

SMF 1.1 is due soon, in a few months maybe once it matures and then will be released and by that time, I doubt anyone will have a reason not to upgarde.

PhpBB was probably written with security in mind... But it was in 2001! And you know that in computer world four years is an eon.

It's kind of sad to say but I think phpBBs days are numbered. The comnplete re-write has been taking so much time now that webmasters, including me, got bored on waiting and switched to better, safer, faster and most importantly developing systems. I personally picked SMF and I'd be surprised if other didn't do the same.

You'll see in few years that SMF will be the number one forum software in the web. vBulletin and Invision are also good systems but they're not free and thus won't never reach the same popularily as a OS system can.

Yeah, SMF has a completely different secuirty structure including the fact that all the logic is parsed seperate from the themes, so you cant use any theme files to infect the logic, changing cookie code is impossible, and SMF has a kick *bottom* dev team headed by [unknown] who is like the ultimate dev, hes been here a few times also.*hides