xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trekkie101

Skinning Which system

Which forum system would you say had the best skinning options and easiness. I know from expeirience that the SMF theme engine is very unique and easy to use. In fact its very close to plain HTML. I dont want to know what you've seen, I want to know what youve done and thought about it. :) Thats more useful.

I have only tried skinning with Invision Boards and SMF, so I can only compare those two. I thought SMF was a bit easier, but I had already had experience with skinning Invision when I did that, plus the tutorial I read for SMF was much better. Still, the css for SMF was shorter, so that it wasn't as complicated to edit the whole file. It was already been commented upon, too, so it was editable without a tutorial. Wow, I'm jumping around a lot.

Read all the source code of SMF, its like learning php, it comments everything, it tells you what everything does and why its there, I too have only changed the graphics of SMF and changed the CSS havent really done anything major.

I have tried skinning Invision Board and vBulletin, and I have to say that vBulletin appeared a bit more logical to me. At the time I didn't know much about PHP but didn't stop me from adjusting the skin to my needs.

SMF is the only BBS template I've worked in and I'll have to say that it is quite easy. Of course, it depends on what you are doing and where you start. The default template for SMF is very easy to navigate through but other template sets are very complex and less explained.Helping spacewaste with putting the shoutbox in the Helios template was a bit of a challenge. Comments that were phantoms and all-in-one-line html code assigned to variables was diificult to read through. I would suggest learning how to work with the default SMF template before attempting one on your own or modifying a third party template.vujsa