xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Multi-user Blogs? Possible?

I've seen websites with a news page in a manner like blogging. With the time, date and all that. But the one thing interests me most in these kind of "blogs" is the "multi-user" style they use. They may have one person posting some information and then there will be another "sub-admin" posting another. How would i go about doing this without letting my friend knowing my password to my cpanel and giving him access to everything.What i mean is to know how to create a portion of your site which you allow your friend to update while he never gets to touch the rest of your files. Does anyone have any idea how you do this?

I'm guessing here, but it's very possible that they might be using a particular weblogging software that allows multiple users. I'm pretty sure Greymatter, b2, Wordpress and MovableType all have the ability to create multiple accounts with varying levels of power, so basically your friend can just direct himself to the login page of the blog software and type his blog, without having access to your ftp and such.

Well, you could give him his own FTP account and page, and give a quota on the account so that 1) he will only be able to mess with his page and 2) he will only be able to upload as much stuff as you allowed him to.Not sure if this is what you are looking for though :D

Yeah. Just create a FTP account and set the directories you want him to be able to use. I did this for my image gallery so that my buddy could FTP photos from his cell phone. For a blog... you either could install a blogging software that supports mutiple users. That is you want the posts to appear on the same page. A model example of this kind of software is WordPress. It can be installed from Fantastico. Other option would be to give him a completely own blog. If the blog software uses database, create a database for him. Just create own user/password combination for him. For cpanel access... I'm afraid you can only have one user/password pair. You can't also "split" the cpanel.

Erm..sorry to disappoint your hard work guys but I've herd of these web-blogging software and i can tell you it is mind-boggling!! I spent 3 hours working on b2 and still not able to figure it out. I might try again but all that code is utterly confusing. Well so in this case, Hercco's idea is best for me. I'll try wordpress from fantastico and see if it works out. If it doesn't, well i guess I'm going to have to do the old fashioned way of creating ftp accounts for my friend. If it does...WHEE!! :)

Is it really that hard? I find that reading the instructions and tutorials carefully for the software and most things should fall into place. I've worked with Greymatter before and now I'm trying to learn Wordpress. I've not used b2 before though. I don't even touch code! O-o. What kind of problems do you have? For Wordpress all I see you need to do is go to the Users>Authors section and create a new account, then give your friend the username and password and let them login to your wordpress admin page. Then they can post to your blog!