xisto Community
chaosx2x

SMF - Shout Box Mod Installation Help Requested

Goto permissions in your admin panel, check in the boxes for the shoutbox, all permissions are controlled in the SMF area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, thanks for the tip. That'll really help spacewaste out but he'll need to adjust for the change.

spacewaste, you'll need to modify your script again to make guest shouts work and still look okay.

In shout.template.php > function template_shout_box(): <around line 94>

Find:

[tab][/tab]if ($user_info['is_guest']) {
and change to:

[tab][/tab]if ($user_info['is_guest'] && !allowedTo('make_shout')) {

Here is a new shoutbox_helios.ZIP file with all of the changes needed:

FTP: shoutbox_helios.ZIP (No Password Required)

Just replace the old shout.template.php with the new one in the ZIP file.

Let me know if you have any problems.

DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP THE OLD FILE FIRST!

vujsa

At trekkie: thanks for the permission problem there...I feel pretty stupid not checking there b4. lol....It's so simple.

At Vujsa: I owe you a ton man. The code is really working. You should post this inside the SMF forum to simplify the job for others :rolleyes:

All and all thanks you guys.

Here's the link: Motu (Clan Site)

Hey spacewaste, you're welcome.I was glad to have helped. Let me know if you have other projects you want some assistance on.I think instead of posting the files at SMF Forums, I'll fix up the zip file a bit and post a message at SMF and refer to this topic. Might as well get some visitors to Xisto in the process.Anyway, I'm glad everything worked out for you.Trekkie101, you were quiet during the entire topic until we really needed you, thanks for the help.vujsa

HI, I try to install the Ultimate shoutbox. Everything is successfull when applying the MOD. But when i edit the index.template.php and modify as stated above, it give me an error..it looks like this:Fatal error: Call to undefined function smfshout() in D:\home\jascdemolay\community\Sources\Load.php(1040) : eval()'d code on line 284

Well sirknight, you're lucky I'm around tonight, been away for a few days.

I guess I'm the resident shoutbox guru. :(

A few questions first:

Did you download the shoutbox package to you package manager?

If you did download the shoutbox package to your package manager, did you apply the package?

If you applied the package, did you get errors?

Do you have a shoutbox tab in you Admin > Edit features ... page?

What SMF theme are you using?

Did you copy and paste code from this topic or manually edit your index.template.php file?

Get this information back to me and I'll see what I can do for you.

vujsa

Hey vujsa....I can see you're doing a good job getting all those shoutboxes up and running! I have a similar problem.I installed the Shoutbox mod by Grudge, but some errors occured which just wouldnt let me get back into the forum. I had runtime errors and nothing was working. Luckily I had a backup of my Sources folder and other relevant php files so I restored them. My forum is now working fine.The problem is that the Shoutbox mod still shows in my Installed Packages list, and any attempt to uninstall it gives me lots of errors - obviously due to the fact that I restored the files to get my forum back. I would like to know how I could remove the mod installation.And then, I would still like to have a shoutbox on my site. I am unable to implement it and would appreciate all the help you can provide me. I do not use the default theme, but in fact I am using the Themis theme. I would like to place the shoutbox at the bottom of the Index page and would like it appear on all the pages. If you can help me, what further info may I provide you?Thanks.the cardinalBtw...my forum is still in its test phase, basically due to the fact that I am having trouble implementing the CAPTCHA verification mod with the Themis theme. Once that is figured out and the shoutbox is up and running, I would be able to launch the forum.

Hello companions.First of all congratulations by this I magnify forum. I am trying to put shoutbox in my forum and not it with himself. I follow the instructions from first post to I complete and not with himself that work. Querria also to lower zip to me of post before FTP:shoutbox_helios.zip (nonPassword Required) but it requests password to me and it does not let lower it to me. Agradeceria collaboration to be able to put it in the forum. The forum is smf 1.0.7 theme is helios. As abreis been able to verify my English is null but I have been looking for by the network and I have not found anything related to my problem exepto this thread and I am putting it with a translator. So you pardon the annoyances and the burradas ones that have put.My foro es http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and hugs

Hi there vujsa!

I saw that topic that thalks about SMF shoutbox, and your hints but in my case I am using a moded theme(downloaded from smf). The shoutbox appears like this, after installing the pachage and adding that enable function in index.template.php(black rain theme folder)

Adding

if (function_exists('smfshout'))

smfshout();

Posted Image

When removing, gets normal:

Posted Image

I just don't know what to do, since I'm a complete noob in this area..

Hope you can halp me

Cheers and sorry for any bad english

;)

Well, it looks like it is trying to allocate the space for the shoutbox but basically nothing is being shown. This could be in the HTML or CSS for that section. The only way to know for sure is to see the actual webpage with the shoutbox code included. This could be problematic if your website already has traffic on it but if not, add the code and send me the link to your website. so I can take a look.

Here are some things you might try before that.

Use a different Internet Browser - The one you used may not see the shoutbox due to security settings etc...

Clear your Browsers cache to ensure that you are getting fresh data.

It is okay to post your question in the forums where many members might be able to help!

Look forward to hearing from you.

vujsa

Okay, just got all together..
The Forum(from a ogame alliance) : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (the supposed sapce only appears when logged in, but even as a guest its possible to see a weird area)
Major files included in the .zip:
- index.template.php
- style.css
- index.php

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As I understood what you just said, the shoutbox is working fine except it leaves a blank space when a guest is viewing it. This is because you do not want guests to view the shoutbox correct?

If this is the case, then you need to tell the template not to try to show the shoutbox if the user is a guest like so:
if (function_exists('smfshout') && !$context['user']['is_guest'])  smfshout();

I tried to register at your website but haven't been Admin approved yet so I can't see what the shoutbox does for members.

Hope this helps,

vujsa

Well, it looks like you resolved your problem. I was going to say that I couldn't see any problem in the template that would cause the problem and that it must either be in the installation or configuration of the actual shoutbox script that caused the problem.It looks like you chose a different shoutbox script as well.I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help.vujsa

Well, it looks like you resolved your problem. I was going to say that I couldn't see any problem in the template that would cause the problem and that it must either be in the installation or configuration of the actual shoutbox script that caused the problem.
It looks like you chose a different shoutbox script as well.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help.

vujsa

No problem vujsa;) I just found that solution lol
didn't even know that there were chats like that. It was simples just register and copy paste de html code
By the way is for an ogame alliance

And this forum is Major!!Think Im gona pass here more times, to learn with the pro's!! And friendly an polite peolple is always nice to see;)

Thx again for you time vujsa
Edited by barinov (see edit history)