xisto Community
chaosx2x

SMF - Shout Box Mod Installation Help Requested

I just downloaded SMF and installed it on my new Oboe website. It is really really classy isn't it! The package instalation feature is absolutely ingenius, and I am in the process of installing my shoutbox. I will follow your guide.

I just downloaded SMF and installed it on my new Oboe website. It is really really classy isn't it! The package instalation feature is absolutely ingenius, and I am in the process of installing my shoutbox. I will follow your guide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to warn you, SMF frequently updates the code for the forum. As a result, the guild I posted above for chaosx2x may need to be tweaked for a more up-to-date release. As far as I can tell, most people have a hard time with the final steps in adding this mod. I mean, you install it and nothing happens. The reason the commands are not automatically inserted into the template is because there are too many templates to consider and each template has many places where the Shoutbox can be inserted.

Additional modifications to the actual shout.template.php, will produce output like Xisto's shoutbox or not. :P

Just drop a post here if you run into any problems. :P

vujsa

Hey man, I'm trying to install shoutbox into my theme for smf.

the link to my site is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I dunno the link to the theme on simplemachines....

But any help would be appreciated...Thnx.

I wanna try to put the shoutbox right over enws if possible :P

Thnx.

-SpaceWaste

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, the code looks good for archive mod or w.e...But for the main screen I cannot see any of the words. Also is there anyway you could make the shoutbox a little smaller?

Thnx for the help though man...Do it whenever you have time.

-SpaceWaste

Okay, there is a permission problem with the shoutbox. It only show for admin. I'll fix that. The size of the box is directly related to the number of posts displayed in the box. (10 by default). I'll move the input box and submit button to the right side of the shoutbox similar to Xisto..Additionally, the shoutbox isn't appearing on any page other than HOME.I'll figure it out.vujsa

Take your time man.  Sorry I couldn't be of any help in the matter...I'm not the greatest at coding and smf is all new to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't sweat it man. Template moding is extremely complex. This template set is one of the most complexed I've seen. I think I've got the feel of this template now so I should be able to format the shoutbox just about any way you need.

I think all of the bugs are gone in the test site so take a look. Give me some feedback and I'll tweak it for you.

I moved the shoutbox above the menubar because everything below the menubar is controlled by page specific templates. Also, I can move the shoutbox into the collapsable portion of the page at the top.

vujsa

You've really improved it since last time :P

But is there some way to make it so those lines aren't there for the chatbox...And instead of the lines the little menu that allows us to type inside of it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey I thought those were taken care of. By default, the shoutbox only works for registered users. That's why there isn't a text box and submit button unless you log in.

The lines are actually pieces of the box border out of place. It only does it for none logged users. Will need to figure it out then let you know.

Must have something to with terminating the table if the user is a guest. Also, need to figure out how to get the View All to show up for guests.

vujsa

Okay, did a little tweaking and added an IF conditional statement that adds "</tr></table>" if the user is a guest, otherwise, the input form code is added to the right of the shout area.

Shouldn't be anymore bugs now. From here all that is needed is to specify how you want everything else to look.

I removed the timestamp and the admin delete option from each line. These can be put back in but I felt that they made the shouts hard to read. These are still available in the full view. In fact, the two were identically formatted before I modified the shoutbox.

As said in a previous post to chaosx2x, I'm looking for a way to add a bbc helper to the shoutbox so it doesn't need to be manually coded every time.

hope this helps. :P

vujsa

Okay, did a little tweaking and added an IF conditional statement that adds "</tr></table>" if the user is a guest, otherwise, the input form code is added to the right of the shout area.

Shouldn't be anymore bugs now.  From here all that is needed is to specify how you want everything else to look. 

I removed the timestamp and the admin delete option from each line.  These can be put back in but I felt that they made the shouts hard to read.  These are still available in the full view. In fact, the two were identically formatted before I modified the shoutbox.

As said in a previous post to chaosx2x, I'm looking for a way to add a bbc helper to the shoutbox so it doesn't need to be manually coded every time.

hope this helps. :rolleyes:

vujsa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

VERY amazing job. I really like what you've done with it :).

I posted replies to what I think of it inside your shoutbox. Also...You don't need to find a way to intergrate a bbcode help thing for this if you don't want to. This way my users will learn to do things manualy...So that they'll have more experience with BBcode.

Thanks again man. Could you possibly send me means of downloading the files I need to replace to get this going?

-SpaceWaste :)

Here are the needed templates and a couple of instructional images.

FTP: shoutbox_helios.zip (No Password Required)

Anyway, to allow guests to post shouts, would require some programing modification to the main shoutbox script (shout.php) a little outside my specialty. As far as the maximum characters, click your Admin button > Edit Features and Options > Shoutbox

See Admin1.jpg (in zip file)

Now change the maximum characters per line as seen in Admin2.jpg.

Make sure that you backup the original shout.template.php and index.template.php files before you upload the new ones. If you have made other mods and replace the index.template.php, then things will be messed up. If that is the case, then we'll need to figure out a different method of updating your files. I'm pretty sure that I have everything setup correctly, by I really think that you should make backups first.

These files go to the following folder:

{SMF Directory} > Themes > helios

{SMF Directory} = The place where you installed SMF - Probably:

/public_html/

/public_html/forum/

/public_html/smf

Let me know if you run into trouble. :rolleyes:

vujsa

Okay, to fix the limit on the number of characters allowed in the shoutbox input field, you'll need to get rid of the maxlength attribute set be default.In shout.template.php at the bottom of the page look for the function template_shout_form():

function template_shout_form(){	global $context, $settings, $options, $txt, $user_info, $scripturl, $modSettings, $ID_MEMBER;	echo '	<td style="align: right; verticle-align: bottom;">		<form action="', $scripturl, '?action=shout" method="post">			<input type="hidden" value="', $context['qstr'], '" name="qstr" />			<input type="hidden" value="" name="email" />';	if ($user_info['is_guest']) {		echo '				<input type="hidden" value="0" name="memberID" />				<input type="text" value="', $txt['shoutbox_6'], '" name="displayname" maxlength="100" onfocus="this.value=\'\'" />				<input type="text" value="', $txt['shoutbox_7'], '" name="email" maxlength="100" onfocus="this.value=\'\'" />';    }	else {		echo '				<input type="hidden" value="', $user_info['name'], '" name="displayname" />				<input type="hidden" value="', $ID_MEMBER, '" name="memberID" />';    }	echo '			<input type="text" value="', $txt['shoutbox_8'], '" name="message" size="30" maxlength="100" onfocus="if (this.value == \'', $txt['shoutbox_8'], '\')this.value=\'\'" /><br />			<input type="submit" name="submit" value="', $txt['shoutbox_9'], '" />		</form>			</td>		</tr>		<tr>			<td colspan=2 style="text-align: center;"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=shout_archive"><b>', $txt['shoutbox_43'], '</b></a>            </td>        </tr>	</table>';}?>

Change:

<input type="text" value="', $txt['shoutbox_8'], '" name="message" size="30" maxlength="100" onfocus="if (this.value == \'', $txt['shoutbox_8'], '\')this.value=\'\'" /><br />

To:

<input type="text" value="', $txt['shoutbox_8'], '" name="message" size="30" maxlength="0" onfocus="if (this.value == \'', $txt['shoutbox_8'], '\')this.value=\'\'" /><br />

Seems odd for the default template to have this limit on it.That should fix the problem. :rolleyes: vujsa

Glad that we got it working for you. Looks like your users are already enjoying it quite a bit.I'll research the guest posting issue. The script was obviously written to allow guests to post shouts but isn't working. Maybe the SMF Forum can help us out. May take a few days, its a little slower that Xisto.Let me know if you need anything else. :rolleyes: vujsa