xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

How Can I Open A *.sit File

Stuffit Expander will no longer work!How Can I Open A *.sit File

As mentioned above, a .Sit file is a Stuffit archive. Stuffit is an old (late '80s) format.

You OUGHT to be able to download the free "Stuffit Expander for Windows" from 

http://my.smithmicro.com/stuffit-file-compression-software.html

BUT the links there lead you (VERY frustratingly) to the "paid" or "free trial" version - not the free expander-only version that you want.  I was however able to find the free expander version at

http://my.smithmicro.com/stuffit-file-compression-software.html

HOWEVER it was a big disappointment - even after finally locating the free expander program, downloading it, and installing it on my computer, I found (to my utter amazement) that "stuffit expander for windows 2011" does NOT unstuff .Sit files! It only works on the newer .Sitx format!

and contrary to what was written above, 7zip does not open .Sit files.

and according to the list of supported file formats on its web site, winzip does not either!

wish I had better news... But as far as I can tell the only way to unstuff a .Sit file would be to find an OLD version of stuffit expander - one that predates the .Sitx format.

anyone know where to find such a thing?

-reply by Malcolm

sit file helpHow Can I Open A *.sit File

Replying to Brianhello Brian. I'm having no luck at all in opening a sit file. When I read your post on Astafile website, I was only looking for a program that would do it, but it would be great if you could help, would you mind? Please email me, and tell me how to email it to you-R.Norman

-reply by r.Norman

.sit file wont open with stuffit deluxe, expander, and many other programsHow Can I Open A *.sit File

Hello I just want to modify one file from a game, I only need to modify a little thing, but I cannot open the file, any can help me modify this ? please e-mail me , I can send u the file or save me and teach me what to do, badly want to modify it, and badly need it modified. Thanx alot

-question by Gabriel