xisto Community
Vagodeoz

Best Forum Software

Wich one do you think it's the best forum software out there?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I need a forum in the website, and I want to know wich one do you guys think is the best one.I vote for InvisionPowerBoard. Free, easy, nice looking, customizable...Even though phpBB is also nice, but I don't know... I preffer Invision.

i'm all for IPB like you...but I've known of quite a few forums who converted to SMF recently. I don't know...I find it SMF rather annoying, but it seems to be becoming more and more popular because it's free =P

IBP is the best out there in my opinion but they have put so many restrictions on their free trial version that I would enver use any of their new builds. I like phpBB from that list provided. vBullitin is good but pain to install. IBP is the best its free licence just sucks...phpBB for the win I guess...

Excuse me, um, but there are more than 6 different types of forum sofware out there. Could a moderator edit this and add an "other" option? :D

Anyway, I'm a big fan of MyTopix from Jaia Interactive, which is currently in beta, but it'll reach final within a few months probably. It's got lotsa nice features, but not too many features, like IPB (They apparently add features to it if one or two people want them. Wouldn't it be better to just create a mod for that?). :D

Oh, and BTW, you hafta pay for IPB (unless you install it from the cPanel). You may not be able to install MyTopix directly from the cPanel, but it's free. ;)

Well, I haven't tried most of them. I've only used Invision Power Board and phpBB. I like IPB better. Right "out of the box" it has more features and customizations. phpBB does have some nice hacks and stuff out there, but you've got to do some remodeling to add some extra stuff. I would like to try some of these other ones.

The only forum I've had experienced admin'ing on and setting up is IPB. It was a fairly straight-forward process, and easy to use.

As for posting though, I seem to prefer vBulletin. It just seems more "professional" to me..I don't know why. Maybe the name? Posted Image

When i start to test differents forum i try phhbb because it's free and easy to set up, the interface it is very intuitive, but the only problem it's the security, always has security holes, problems, etc.When i came to Xisto and finally gets my hosting i tried invision i find more robuste, better options and security, the default skin is a little ugly, but exists a lot of sites to change it, but when i finally i decided to change something, i find that install mod or skins is a tediousus works.For me i like vbulletin, i like this type of forum, his interface and the options, well never i has experienced like an admin, but i think this is the best of forum, for users, for admin i dont knowGreets Deivid

Consider trying out all forum software before deciding which is the best. I like Invision Power Board myself and uses the trial version which is really nice, except for the limitations but there are also other forum software worthing noting, like phpbb, which has hundreds if not thousands of add-ons but it all depends on what you prefer. Invision Power Board 1.3 is the free version and add-ons for it can be found here. InvisionFree is the sized down version and if you're new or learning HTML, this is a good place to start.

i'm very confused about forum software, i've searched google for info and there are too much of these software, personally i've tried invision powerboard, snitz, phpBB, tried to install vBulletin but it cause me some problem that i don't know how solve....but i'm very impressed by Invision, if i have to put online a forum i think that Invision maybe a very likely choice, it's complete and fast and higly customizable :Dbut if i had to explain a personal technical opinion concerning forum software...i think i'm not be able to do....

Invision Board is also free.At least untill version 2.0.1 it's free. Then they changed their minds about freeware, but since 2.0.1 was free, and so it says in the documentation, there is nothing to prevent you from freely using it.

i'm very confused about forum software, i've searched  google for info and there are too much of these software, personally i've tried invision powerboard, snitz, phpBB, tried to install vBulletin but it cause me some problem that i don't know how solve....but i'm very impressed by Invision, if i have to put online a forum i think that Invision maybe a very likely choice, it's complete and fast and higly customizable :D

but if i had to explain a personal technical opinion concerning forum software...i think i'm not be able to do....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell you what...since you are confused over what forum software to use, try them all out if you have the time. If not, go Invision since you're impressed by it. That's all I have to say and it won't be very much of a help :D

SMF is THE forum system to rule all.MiniBB:Sorry too little features but its built that way for that reason.phpBB:Well phpBB although giving the impression its good, I find it pretty boring and well bad (Let me explain), the community there is quiet a nasty lot they really do tare new people and more confident users heads off. The mods mostly dont work, they all require manual code changes. The system has recently come under fire not their fault but it has fallen badly to a few holes recently. The themes are good and such.vBulletin:Wouldnt pay that much for anything you can get for freeIPB:Yeah right, move on, bloat, bloat, bloat, no simple way to do anything, it likes making a mockry of everything simple.SMF:Oh my god! This is the best, mods are added using the package manager which means no manual code changes, themes have an installer to upload even the zips it does the rest. Themes are so far mostly good and look great. The community are great bunch of guys and gals, you just cant beat them (not even with a 4*4) This siftwares admin panel is amazing and doesnt use the standard frame idea. I STRONGLY recomend it over all else. Its better than the paid forums and guess what it can take a whallop and a half of users, with no slow down, trust me on that!Trekkie Recommends:SMF - Nothing better :D

Invision used to be Free but there is nowhere you can download it officially for free. This is because since 1.3 they have in some people's opinions 'sold our' for corporate ambition.phpBB is now the leading free/open source forum software, and it is by far the best in this category, however for user friendliness it sitll lags behind not only Invision Power Board but also vBulletin.In my experience, vBulletin is by far the classiest looking, the most immediately appealing and the easiest to navigate and add extensions to. Many professional websites use this software, but on the downside it is much more expensive than any other forum software and quite bulky in comparison to Invision Power Board or phpBB.