xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
evion

Are We Missing Out On The Old Times?

Back to the topic on using technology to play outdoor sports, has anyone thought of technology of having an EVIL side too? OK so technology doesn't get evil by itself, it is the misuse of technology that leads it to its doom. People cheat with technology, managing to get away from crimes they commited but left no trace, changing the ball in ball games in such a way that the opponent will lose? These are all possible results of abusement of technology. Everyone might have read sci-fi books especially Star Wars and many other books. They all talk about war because of an evil side in some people which leads to war. How horrible is this?

HAHAHA......thats a good one the Old Times, hate break it to you but they are so gone and the outdoors is practicly ruined by pollution. Not to mention that everyone would rather be doing other things then running down a meadow chasing cute and cuddly rabbits like a certain TV show that I am not going to name because it is lame. This is just a price that was paid so progress could be made, and aside from anything major happening there is no going back only forwards.

To an extent I agree with the OP. I know many people that would rather play a game like WoW than sit down play a pen and paper RPG. Look at a place like deviant art where 95% or more of everything is some deviant of Manga, looks like crap is is void of originality. It seems to me that far too many people are losing their imaginations. They simply expect to fed everything via a screen.

And how ironic is it that we all sit here on a forum, on the internet and discuss whether technology is good or bad, or if we should actually be outside doing something physical.

There is only one thing that destroys the environment, and it's not technology. It is such a broad term, but it can hardly be divided into something that is black & white. Atom bombs, cures for cancer, fraud across the internet, keeping people in touch with family overseas, the consumption of a countless amount of fossil fuel, the ability to generate renewable energy etc.

Should we be outside more? I think that is a personal choice. I think the more important point on this topic is what people do with that technology. With the more power that we wield as a society, there is ever increasing responsibility (to be badly quoted). Someone today described generation y as having grown up in an electronic world, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I see in ways that parents in the real world have let their children down in a way. Punishment (I do not mean abuse) of children is frowned upon now, and that probably has more to answer for than technology ever will.

Get outside if you want, it is a very beautiful world out there, but we should not be frowning upon the people if they wish imerse themselves ina world that is an extension of our own.

My 2c

Cheers,

Hoopa