xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

What Is.... Bundled Software (Apart From Useless?) sorry... pretty much just a rant.

Befre i start, i would like to apologise.. this is pretty much just a rant.
i suddenly feel the need to vent some frustration.

I am a Linux user. I have bought a DVD writer.. and unfortunatly the Linux software for writing DVD video's from other formats is very confusing and complicated... deplexing, multiplexing, avdio and video streams dancing about and forever intertwining etc etc.

bundled with the DVD writer is a program called myDVD.
it claims to be an easy program for converting any video files into a dvd that you can play on your standalone dvd player.

also, it bundled many nero applications which claim to do similar.

so after 3 years of using linux... i decide i should give windows a chance to shine.

problem #1:
windows will not install without without first formatting linux... evebn whne linux is on a different disk.
so i had to take my machine apart, and unplug all disks with nay trace of linux.

problem #2:
windows douesnt detect my dvd dirce correctly... and im trying to keep my windows machine off the network. i only want to install dvd software, no virus scanners spayware / adware removers... so no internet.

problem #3 after installing my bundled FULL versions of my dvd authoring software... i am then informaed that...

Because of patent issues... all features that include MPEG-2 (the DVD format) have been removed

so now... i need to BUY a dvd authoring porgram so i can use the codec for use on my dvd authoring program.

what a con !

ive gone crying back to linux.
and unplugged the windows disk.

AGH !!!
it should NOT be legal to sell hardware with bunldles software that *claims* to be able to do somthing.. but fails to mention that you will need to pay extrafor a 3rd party codec.

Have you tried K3B on Linux for CD/DVD writing?There are quite a lot of steps required to create DVD/VCD/SVCD from different video formats, Linux and Windows included, there's really no easy one step method unless quality (blocky looking movies) isn't important.MPEG-2 encoder costs $1,000+, I have an old version of Cinema Craft Encoder which after you first buy it, you shouldn't expect to pay for updates/upgrades at that price, but guess what? You do, so it's forever going to remain that version for me, but at least it still does the job.MPEG-4 compliant is probably more effective now, price wise too, yet a lot of DVD Players do not support this, but it will soon be more mainstream and the norm.I have about 4 different programs for creating DVDs and SVCDs from different video formats on Windows and 1 program for copying DVD to DVDs with overlay programs to defeat regions and protection. It's probably illegal in some countries, but in mine, we are allowed to make one copy of any of our media, that's our official law, so software companies can't deny us this but they do try.MC

That's a cool law mc... ONE COPY of any media without legal hassles .. lol.. you could exploit that to the fullest and still claim to have not indulged in piracy.. Feel sorry about your experience qwiji..but hey look at the brighter side - IT"S WINDOWSSSSSSS - what more do you expect ?? Anways, all the best with your DVD-Burning Adventure :P

I also hate bundled software. I bought a Sony Vaio, thinking that Sony would a good solid product, like the playstation. When I first started it up, it had an unbelievable amount of third software, most of it complete junk. One of the only things I was hoping for was that the T.V. Tuner would work but the damn third party software had a glitch in it and it didn't work. Called sony and sony said it's not our problem, take it up with the third party software company or pay our technican to fix. BASTARDS

on an unrelated topic....mocrpscopic^earthling...how come your linux counter badge shows up like that, but my linux counter badge shows up as "user posted image"also, mine is white.. how did you et your gold ? i assume you made it yourself ? i just got ine from the counter page.back on topic.....Ok.. thats good then !i saw the open source cinerella, but on gentoo linux for 64bit, it is labeled as hard masked and "too broken to fix" i un masked it, but like the warning said, it didnt compile. i have a 32bit chroot encoronment within my 64bit OS... so i will try installing cinerella on 32bit.(note: ive probably spelled cinerllerra wrong, so blame me if you google for it and find nothing)

on an unrelated topic....

mocrpscopic^earthling...

how come your linux counter badge shows up like that, but my linux counter badge shows up as "user posted image"

also, mine is white.. how did you et your gold ? i assume you made it yourself ? i just got ine from the counter page.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your image link gives a 404..
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.stones/reguser.gif
there is no picture there or you don't have the right to link to it.

Nils

ntl:

the page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

* If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelt correctly.

* Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP 404 - File not found

:Pmy ISP deleted it !!maybe they dont like gif'si will try again encoded as a png.thanks NilsC

IF your planning to dual boot your system to use windows for burning its better to install windows first because every time ive done it the other way it has the same problem as yours.

I write programs that are included with my installs and give a little clue as to what they are for...I have also found that if you dual boot you should at least have Windows first...haven't looked into why Windows does not like oh=ther OSes but they are and they might have a particular way of allowing other OSes occupy the same machine that they are supposed to normally be in control of.My DVD from Nero is intended for a Windows Machine as is Win DVD also on the same CD install if you so choose.All my software though is PHP and MySQL and relates to PHP-Nuke or phpBB2 Boards, you may or may not use them all but they are included because those that download my software are either unable or too lazy to modify the PHP-Nuke Code to make things work, so I offer Packs that include thing already installed and ready to work for those that might want all such features on their CMS (Content Management Systems).I consider it value added kind of like an option on a car or SUV that come when you merely download my software.If you don't like the added software and have not looked at the docs about using it or going to a forum about such software don't get mad...educate yourself!