xisto Community
kc8yff

Google Webspace Google Web Space

If you think about everything that Google has done, and is doing, it seems like they are trying to be another "Yahoo!" If you look at the things Yahoo! has to offer Google is just taking its time to "perfect" it before going public with it. The only thing that I don't like about Google is that Gmail is by invitation only. but other then that it would not surprise me if Google offers webspace.

I think it would be cool if Google offered webspace! Heck... I figured now that they are increasing file space on Gmail, I can use Gmail to back-up some files as each day it gets larger... Yahoo on the otherhand is going to upgrade their free mail accounts to one gig but two gigs costs $20 a year!

I would like to have a Google web site, they would probably use targeted dvertising like they do with Gmail and Google searchs, but with ust small test links, thats not too bad. And as for using Gmail to store files, I know a lot of people who are doing that (some of them have 10 or more Gmail accounts) and when you fill up your 1 GB storage, Gmail sometimes upgrades your limit to 2 GB. So all those people milking Gmail for file storage are now getting even more!

Hey google is not providing such a service yet. but they provide 4.5gb email storage for a single person so I guess it may be useful if they can allocate that space for personal web hosting. But unfortunately they havnt done...-purinda gunasekara

Actually, I believe there is already a service that emcompasses Gmail's storage space to use to upload any type of file--Gmail Drive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail_Drive

Basically, it allows people to upload files from their computer to Gmail as if Gmail were a drive on their computer. In fact, the gmail account's contents shows up as a network share. Obviously, there are still restrictions, as Gmail doesn't allow the upload of .zip or .exe files, so those cannot be uploaded with Gmail drive either.

There is, apparently, also a firefox extension that does similar things--Gspace: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Granted, neither service is condoned by Google (it's probably against the user agreement--I haven't checked). It could end with your account getting banned or suspended, depending on whether or not Google finds out... If someone were to test it out, obviously they wouldn't be stupid enough to do it on their actual account. :-)

I am a fan of Google and Gmail, and I think that since Google is such a huge internet service that I figure they would just have to change with the times and would add webspace. And I could see that after a beta test of that, they would begin to increase the server size.... Why!? I think that would happen because that is how Google operates. I think that with how much exposure they have and such a huge fan and user base, that Google and Gmail would offer web designers room to play online.I am not all opposed with having ads on my website, heck, I even make my own. It is the content and or how it is handled in the layout. I was SOOO annoyed with geocities and always having to click away the sidebar... did the creators of geocities think that EVERYONE used the new default settings!!? And I think a lot of others offer great service and have ads that had better placement.Ok, so that turned into some kind of repressed rant there! So to summarize, I think that google should not tease, and should bring space to the net. I am a huge supporter of Xisto, but it still is nice to see what the competition brings to the table.- skedad -

I believe google will eventually offer more web-space. This isn't the 90s, where's gigabytes cost anywhere from .50 to a dollar a gigabyte. At one time, it cost you almost 2$ a megabyte.

A 200 Meg drive, was very expensive. Now days though, you can get a half a terabyte drive, relatively cheap. I believe my lover's nephew's drive, ran less then 100$500 Gigabytes. Considering the low cost, even offering 1Gb wouldn't be that much to ask.I don't know why Verizon won't upgrade this. They could probably go to someplace else, other the Yahoo for web-hosting. They expect their costumers to pay only 10$ less then Cable,, but don't offer anywhere near what (Comcast) offers for their web-hosting. 10Mb,, what can you really do with that? Comcast,, 10Gb for each email account. You're allowed 6 of them. That's a total of 60 GB combined. On Verizon, I cant just share a crude .Psd image. Not unless I somehow keep it under 10Mb. And I hardly start,, and I'm over that already.Giving 100Mb to start with,, is a nicer number for sure. I'll be working on my Unofficial An American Tail website soon. Probably, the video clips I wanna have on it, will be uploaded to youtube, so that I can focus on building a nice looking website, and not fill it as fast.So please,, anyone reading this,, email Verizon and complain.. Especially fellow costumers,Maybe they'll get it through their heads, 10Mb is just not much space, and there's 100s ofServices offering 100Mb for free, or more. Paying close to 10$ just for a little over 500MBIs a ripoff! No matter how professional the services. Thank You Very Much For Reading...FievelJ :-)