xisto Community
kevlar557

Html Programs I feel really dumb...

I have had my starter account for about 2 months now, and I have yet to make a single page(I had to have someone make me a quick enter page in order to keep it alive). I've tried teaching myself how to write HTML, but it has been unsuccessful. I'm planning on taking a HTML class at school next year, but I'm getting a little impatient. Does anyone know of a nice, small, andfree WYSIWIG editor that is rich in features?

A small free WYSIWYG editor, hmm...

I haven't used these types of editors in years now, and I'm assuming 1st Page 2000: HTML Editor is still free. Get it from here http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml

About how good it is, I'm not sure, I know a few people here use it so maybe they can provide information on it, a good site for learning HTML is http://www.w3schools.com/ you can also learn the other languages they teach there too.

Cheers,

MC

PHP Designer's pretty nice, too. It lets you edit HTML, XML, PHP, SQL, JavaScript, and CSS. I use it for mostly non-HTML stuff, cause I already have FrontPage.Did I mension PHP Designer is free?

1st Page 2000 is still free. i remember i started using html in this program. excellant to use. 4 modes easy, normal, .... other i forgot. now i can do html by heart. i recommend this!

About how good it is, I'm not sure, I know a few people here use it so maybe they can provide information on it, a good site for learning HTML is http://www.w3schools.com/ you can also learn the other languages they teach there too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, 'http://www.w3schools.com/' is a great site for brushing up on my html skills. It is great to just brush up on html too, so i'd definatly recomend it. ;)

ACEHTML 5 is really the best for make a HTML web page, but you have to know a few about HTML.

With this programme, you can made ALL web page you want !

You can add css style, javascript, and others script. Html isn't it only language, you can have HTML, PHP, PERL, ASP, CSS, TEXT, XHTML, WML documents, but with only html code.

This program is like a professionnel program, with just one difference : IT IS FREE !

You can download it with this URL

Another less-efficient option is OpenOffice.org; the big free office suite from Sun has an HTML page feature in it and it is WYSIWYG but since the program is not geared towards website it borders a little on the inane, though not as bad as Microsoft Word's webpage feature.I was in kind of the same quandry earlier this week because I can program HTML by code but it gets really cumbersome these days. It was a lot simpler to do when I started around 1996. But anyway I realized I had OpenOffice and went in to use it and got kind of a first page done but there were a few things I couldn't do and then I ended up having to open it up and edit the code anyway.But depending on what you want to do OpenOffice is an option though it's probably not as good as a program that's geared towards WYSYIWYG web editing.

I just got frontpage 2003 (I got it for free, can't tell you where) and it is rather easy. But, how do you create a web page within another page? (I'm completely lost when it comes to this stuff)

I just got frontpage 2003 (I got it for free, can't tell you where) and it is rather easy. But, how do you create a web page within another page? (I'm completely lost when it comes to this stuff)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey......

The tag you'll wan to use to do this is called the iFrame tag... with this tag you can place a frame within a page (anywhere within as long as you mention the position and the height and width...) I've used this tag on my site and its contained in the following page...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Some of the attributes you can use with iFrames are: align,frameborder, height, longdesc, marginheight, marginwidth, name (very important to name the frame so you can use it in scripts as well as to load pages within the frame... ), scrolling, src ( this will point to the default page that you want to load into the frame) and of course the width...

An example of the tags you'll be using is....

<iframe src ="your_page.htm">

</iframe>

the best part is that you can position the frame easily within a table so it keeps a well aligned look-&-feel to your site..

Try it out.. :P R.A.

Thank you kaputnik, i will use that, but it's not exactly what i meant. What I wanted to do, is have a link to another page, and have the address for that page like:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ so I can have the page labled "admin" password protected, and only be able to access the other pages in the admin page by the links in that page. This will probally make no sense to anyone.

Thank you kaputnik, i will use that, but it's not exactly what i meant. What I wanted to do, is have a link to another page, and have the address for that page like:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ so I can have the page labled "admin" password protected, and only be able to access the other pages in the admin page by the links in that page.  This will probally make no sense to anyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, maybe you can explain more

You are trying to create public and private web site? If that assumption is correct, you are placing a link or a login box to access the private pages?I know you can create login and access secure / private pages using php and mSQL but before I go on maybe you can verify that this is in actualit what you are trying to do.Nils

That is what I'm trying to do. I want to have the secure pages for my form logs without having to enter my password for each log page, only the admin page. But, I don't want people to directly access those pages by typing the address of the log into the address bar either.