xisto Community
kevlar557

Html Programs I feel really dumb...

You should be able to do that with a cookie or a token that are set when you have a correct login, then the secure pages would have that passed to them as verification. If no cookie / token then direct linking is not possible.Here comes the important thing, since I'm a beginner when it comes to this the real answer would have to come from someone with more knowledge than I have. I'm looking forward to see the suggestions you get, because I'm planning to use something similar :PI'll look up and see what I can figure out, so if you don't get any other solutions maybe we can work this out as a joint project :P :PNils

How do you want it?Are you planning to allow access from only one computer?If so, you will required a static IP to make that work.If that is what you want and you have static IP internet access account, please post your request here and I will give a solution.

what webserver do you use. why? because in some webserver, you have options to secure directories with passwords. for an example, apache server uses .htaccess files to enable authentication process.

Hey Mate,My advice is to Keep It Simple! Having a password protected page is not all that bad. You can save the username and password in your browser and quickly access the pages with little issue or problem. When you start playing with the webserver config, secure access and etc... you may get the outcome you want but only after lots of trial and error and the risk of inadvertantly allowing others access as well. If you have time, set up your site on your personal machine or a networked one. Play with php and the webserver. This will give you a safe place to test, play and most importantly, learn about webserver config and many other delicacies of web developing.cheershashbang

I know a great little program called Easy HTML. It was created by ToniArts. I downloaded this a couple of years ago i think when i first started in website design. I do not know if you can still find the version that I have as i think he upgraded it and many of the features are now gone which i found to be a little annoying.

If you can find it, it will be very good for you or anybody starting in website design. The version is 2.2 and this is the website i got from the program: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As i said it has many easy features wysiwyg (tables, forms, javascript, links, image maps, marquees and so on). I think it is only a couple of Megabytes. If you cannot find it i will be happy to send it to you.

overture

if you are doing authentication, please remember to do it as a server side, not as a client side. this includes implementation of password using Java, JavaScript, VBScript.please makesure that you know the differences of server/client side scripting.

How do you want it?

Are you planning to allow access from only one computer?

If so, you will required a static IP to make that work.

If that is what you want and you have static IP internet access account, please post your request here and I will give a solution.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't have it to only allow from one IP address, because I often use my school's computers to work with my site

what webserver do you  use. why? because in some webserver, you have options to secure directories with passwords. for an example, apache server uses .htaccess files to enable authentication process.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know what web server I use. ( I an a total newb at web design)

Hey Mate,

My advice is to Keep It Simple! Having a password protected page is not all that bad. You can save the username and password in your browser and quickly access the pages with little issue or problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only problem with that is, most of my friends at school also go on my site. The way our school network is set-up, is that the library and general accounts can be accessed by anyone, so my password would be useless.

I'm sorry that it's like trying to teach a pre-schooler web design, but I'm more of a hardware person myself, so I'm not well educated in all of these questions and terms. I'll try to answer your questions as soon as I figure out how to answer them :P I just turned in my schedule for tech classes, and I will be taking web design, so I will soon stop asking these questions :P

Well, I've tried AlleyCode HTML editor. Here's some description from the site:

https://alleycode.com/

Alleycode is a fast, sleek and highly productive award winning HTML editor with unique features. If you are new to HTML, Alleycode's great tutorial will walk you through your first coding steps... If you are an established coder you will find a refreshing, non-bloated infrastructure with fast and accurate delivery. Beyond HTML, Alleycode's wizardry focuses on PHP and CSS interaction for professional and easy management of your projects. Best of all, Alleycode is FREE!