xisto Community
arkad

Repartitioning A Thumb Drive

Here's my Story ::

Story ::A was installing WinXP on PC
B's Flash Drive (FD) was in the USB Slot.

While the WindowsXP Setup is partitioning, 'A' realised that the light on the FD was blinking .. indicating activity so he plucked it out immediately.

Now 'B's FD is corrupted .. I recovered almost all the data from the corrupted FD using Ontrack's EasyRecovery 6.0 .. It is the most amazing software ever developed .. it could virtually recover all data in a drive that had been formatted ..

Alright .. now is the headache .. there is no way that I could get the drive to work normally .. it was detected by WinXP but cannot be read .. worst .. I can't format it ..

Tried to use Partition Magic to format but it can only detect HDDs .. can't think of an other ideas ..

Hope someone can help suggest some ::
1) Software
2) TEchnic
to solve this problem ..

Thanks

Found the Solution in another forum ::

1) Clik on "START"
2) Move Cursor to "My Document"
3) Right Clik (clik on the right button on the mouse)
4) A Menu will drop down .. choose "Manage"
.. .. A new window will appear ..
5) Clik on the "+" left of "Storage"
6) Clik on the "+" left of "Disk Management"
.. .. The right Panel will show all the Drives
7) Clik on your thumb drive (The words "Removable" will be there)
8) Right Clik and choose .. Oops I forgot .. something that is along the line of adding or creating a partition ..
9) Choose accordingly .. if in doubt .. just choose the default option ..

.. Yippeee .. Finally contributed something useful .. and also this will be my 10th post ..

Would you care to recall & come back and fill up the 8th and 9th steps with the precise instructions ?? That would be a lot more helpful for the readers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can field this.

First off, you went the long way to get into the computer management section.

1. Go to control panel

2. Select Administrative tools

3. Select Computer management

4. Select Disk manager.

5. Find your disk.

If your partition was corrupted, a way to repartition it is by deleting the corrupted partition (if it's necessary or possible) and then using disk manager (yes, by right clicking on the drive you're working on) and selecting New Partition. This will go through the processes of partitioning the thumb device.

If there's anything that you can try to salvage, I suggest doing it first. If you can't, you can use a file recovery system. Afterwards, I suggest formatting the device. You can do this on Disk Manager (right next to Add New Paritition), or you can go through My Computer and format it by right clicking on the device, and selecting format.

"Yosho-sama" - you went the long way also. To get to device management just simply right click on "My computer & select "manage" from there you have skipped going to control panel, administrator options & yada yada yada - - - Hope this helps someone at least with some time.

"Yosho-sama" - you went the long way also. To get to device management just simply right click on "My computer & select "manage" from there you have skipped going to control panel, administrator options & yada yada yada - - - Hope this helps someone at least with some time. Of course I just noticed this was last updated in 2005 so I doubt it will get notices

why don't you use TestDisk. I use it a lot.

TestDisk is a powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk can :
* Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
* Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
* Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
* Fix FAT tables
* Rebuild NTFS boot sector
* Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
* Fix MFT using MFT mirror
* Locate ext2/ext3 Backup SuperBlock

TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know little or nothing about data recovery techniques, TestDisk can be used to collect detailed information about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.

Read more at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

And the best fact is that it is an opensource software.

There's also Photorec to recover your files.

They're all can work on flash/thumb drive

Also, might I add (even though this has already been solved), another tool to try is GParted (it is a linux application, and you can download a liveCD with just it, for the purpose of managing partitions)

Although I am not 100% sure if it works with flash drives, the download isn't too bad, and it works really well on all partition types (plus it can resize partitions for you).

The website is: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

Just thought i would add this, since gparted supports so many types of partitions, and so many more features than the windows partition manager thing.

Click start>run>cmd on xp

on vista/7 type cmd in search bar and hit ctrl-shift-enter
then type diskpart
then type select disk x (x is your flash drive)
then type select partition x (x is the partition)
then type delete partition
then type create partition primary
then type format fs=fat32 (this will take a while)
then you can close cmd
-reply by Sai Pathuri

I did what you said and it worked great.

"Click start>run>cmd on xp

on vista/7 type cmd in search bar and hit ctrl-shift-enter
then type diskpart
then type select disk x (x is your flash drive)
then type select partition x (x is the partition)
then type delete partition
then type create partition primary
then type format fs=fat32 (this will take a while)
then you can close cmd
-reply by Sai Pathuri"

I was able to fix my thumb drive problem.  Just something to add - when you type "select disk x",  x is a number (0 or 1 or 2 or 3...).  Just check the disk manager to see what number it is.  Then when you select the partition, it is also a number starting from 1.

-reply by Greg