xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arunkumarhg

Which Linux Which Flavour of Linux you like?

Which Flavour of Linux you like?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i think Suse is the best. it's easy to use, but it's not such easy as Windows, so that's why suse different from Windows. you have to config files too and you may use Yast. it's comfortable. i tried Ubuntu, but I didn't like it because it's .... I don't know why, maybe because it don't have Yast! i a lso tried Gentoo but I didn't like it because it's hard to install.... :P

I had SuSE, it was pretty complicated especially making a dual boot with Windows using LilO...it just didn't work.I had to set the kernel manually but it still did not work.I had Mandrake too, it was very nice but too heavy for my specs.

my fav is also mandrake, it is fast, cheap, powerful, save and it supports nearly all types of hardware... :)

You really should have followed the first part of my advice: add an OTHER. Even though the list is long enough to satisfy any average user, my personal favorites include Hikarunix and Dynebolic. Now where could they be?

Well, I hope I have something decent to add here :(. I had very little computer experience other then gaming (the good old DOS days) when I applied for Computer Sciences. Much to my surprise we used Linux in school, and therefore also at home. Red Hat to be precise. I knew nothing about computers, let alone Linux. :( But little by little, I tested the water, and to be honest, I ended up using Red Hat solely for over 3 years. The only issue I ever had was sound. For some reason I could not get the sound to work properly in Red Hat 8.0. I blamed it on the soundcard and the inability to find the correct drivers ;) I ended up missing music and switched to a dual boot with Win XP. And then I managed to fail in overclocking and ruining my computer. Now I am running Win 2000 Pro on an IBM Thinkpad 390E, which allows the laptop to run for 40 min on battery. In Linux (I've tried) this goes up to 2,5 hrs. That alone should tell you something about the excellent system resources management in Red Hat. :)I have to admit that command line is scarey at first, but after a while of testing with trial and error, you'll learn to love it :D as I did. For me, Red Hat is easiest, the install flies and is very intuitive. :)If only more programs would be ported to Linux... ;)

I'm new to all this. I've always been with a windows system, so going into programming, of course, led me to linux. I haven't really ever seen it in action, but I'm curious. I'm going to try out Red Hat 9 for the first time I suppose. Just wondering if that's the right way to start out? Should I go with Red Hat or Mandrake. Just curious. I've read about both, and I guess they both have their advantages. All in all, I guess either/or would be sufficient to mess around with anyways.

Dont go with redhat.Redhat stopped produsing free desktop linux quite a while ago,at the same time redhat stopped, fodora took over.fedora took redhat 9 and continued to develop it.if you like redhat, use fedora. In recent years, Linux's desktop has come a long way, so you really will benefit from using the lastest available. version.I learned Linux on redhat and fedora, however i would probably recomend mandrake.Either way the following is always true, noobody ever stays with the first linux distro they try, i tried redhat / fedora then slackware, before i discovered the linux distro they best suited me.. Gentoo !

Isn't Fedora Core funded by Red Hat Linux? They decided that they would split two ways; for people that want to use Open Source/Free linux, use their product Fedora Core and choose Red Hat if you want to use it for a business or 'enteprise'.

Somthing like that.Rehat is a Company, Fedora is a Community.although redhat kicked off fedora, they dont control it.

I use debian. I don't think any distro comes even close... I've used gentoo too, and i started once with redhat... "I'm new to all this. I've always been with a windows system, so going into programming, of course, led me to linux. I haven't really ever seen it in action, but I'm curious. I'm going to try out Red Hat 9 for the first time I suppose. Just wondering if that's the right way to start out? Should I go with Red Hat or Mandrake. Just curious. I've read about both, and I guess they both have their advantages. All in all, I guess either/or would be sufficient to mess around with anyways."I should go for Mandrake, imho the best option to start with linux. Knoppix is a good option too, but there are fewer possibilities. I think Mandrake is the most user friendly. (however, I never used Mandrake for a long time, so I'm not really sure... I guess you're save with both distros...)

i've voted MEPIS Linux because i'll tried it recently and i was very surprised -.-he support .deb packages so when u install it u're sure that u'll find any programs u need.it's easy to install and recognize all your device (excludin my broadband modem) and configure them.but my first love remain Mulinux! but it isn't in the list :D

I have Red Hat Linux installed in my PC... I am a Novice and don't know much about the greatest eye catching features of Red Hat but due to its ease of use, I prefer Red Hat and I have voted for the same. Moreover I think installing softwares in Red Hat is easy like it is in Windows... so I like Red hat to others... about other features... I am still exploring....

I have Red Hat Linux installed in my PC... I am a Novice and don't know much about the greatest eye catching features of Red Hat but due to its ease of use, I prefer Red Hat and I have voted for the same. Moreover I think installing softwares in Red Hat is easy like it is in Windows... so I like Red hat to others...

about other features... I am still exploring....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

u can try also MEPIS Linux, installing software in that is very easy as in Rea Hat Linux but u have for u all the software that can be found for Debian (an huge resource :D ), but it is more light than Red Hat =)

I've had Slackware Linux on my box for a little more than a year, and I must say I realy like it!I'm currently using a dual boot system using the NT os-loader, and it works just fine.Must of the time I use Linux (especially after I got the drivers for my graphic card to work properly =) ), I still keep Windows on the my partly 'cause I'm not the only one using it, and I have a few programs and games, I haven't got to work under Linux yet.Slackware is not realy a newbie-friendly distro, but it is fairly easy to use and mantain and has got a lot of nice tools, and a good packagemanagement system.I wouldn't recommend anybody scared of the command line to use Slackware, because you'll not even be able to install the system without using it.This however, I don't think is a big problem. It is not very hard to learn, and is a very powerfull tool. One other thing that is realy great is that Slackware is that it is so fast, it is not very demanding at all, compared to other modern os'es.