xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Google Algorithm Any information on it?

I've just taken time to try to understand part of Google's Algorithm and have noticed some very promising results.

Now obviously it all comes down to the search word typed in the search box. Now so far I believe the Title, Content and URL is one of the strongest aspects used in getting you a high ranking site. The other thing that is important is having your site listed in sites which categorise you and puts you in different categories but links to you, the more categories you fill the higher chances you've got, although results of their site may appear before yours.

In fact, if you had a site titled Computer Supplier, to make it more effective you would repeat your title about 3 times, e.g. Computer Supplier - Computer Supplier - Computer Supplier. This would get you great results if computer supplier was searched, remember think about what keywords someone would type to discover you and incorporate that into your title, more repeative it is the better but don't go overboard with it.

Google works on what I believe a close proximating algorithm which matches the search word and checks the number of words used in a close range, they may have a large database (multiple) for holding all words they've gathered off sites and list how many times they actually contain those words except common words of course. That way keywords are found by querying their own databases for those words and linking them to the sites containing them, the relevance of the site would be how many times that site is matched against their own database of words. Although this seems like partially the case and not highly relied on.

So next would be to fine tune the content for your Computer Supplier site, how do you do this, well obviously you must use those words close to the top of your page, the more times you use computer and supplier the better chances you would get at being ranked top. It'd be better if you used the whole 'computer supplier' right next to each other and repeated that many times. Just make sure it all fits within one paragraph no more than 300 words.

Meta data don't do much for google other than if your site is listed and they have nothing of your site, they will use that in their listing, but you may not rank high if this is the only case.

Another thing is if those keywords exist in your URL, is another good thing, if you had http://ww38.yoursite.com/computer_supplier.html as one of your pages, and computer supplier was the term. You would be ranked high.

You site must be well-formed though, and links from your home page, link to the containing pages.

Other things I've noted is size of site, smaller is better, date of site, keeping updated regularly, but still can't figure out how it fits in, but it does somehow.

Can others provide any insights on anything they think is significant to how google works?

Cheers,

MC

I am not really intrested about ranking my site , what I want to actualy put some lights on , is that Google could really answer questions , the simplest way to do so is list FORUMS topics , which is very very very very usefull . for example back when I had dialup .. my connection seemed too slow tho everything was correct. .. I asked " My dialup is slower than normal " ( it's not very smart to include is /the bcuz they get omitted anyways " ..I found 6 forum topics having the same question and actualy fixed my problem .another cool trick is the CACHED PAGE .. sometime a site goes down or 404 or whatever . u can check an old cached version of it using google .WHat I find very stupid is the SIMILAR PAGES service ... it happens to list 2 -3 similar links then starts to go off the line seriously ! ! anyways I won't complian , I love google. the internet is 10000000 time simpler using it .

My site gets a few hits from google, i dont put any of my own meta data in, i dont use queryless URL's. Just standard SMF urls. it does Support queryless but i like them and i get ranked quite high, cant say ive noticed Xisto in google unless im searching for "Xisto" plus is it just me or is the conversations drying up a bit.

Although mastercomputers is relatively correct the most important thing for google ranking is the number of backlinks that your website has, and how relevent the backlinks are. So for example if you have gotton listed in yahoo web directory then the popularity of your website will go right up. If on the other hand you get a link from an unknown blog then it will add little to nothing to your ranking.