xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JohnNitro

Windows 95 Ibm Aptiva format gone wrong

I formated my Ibm aptiva with windows 95, it was my first time doing anything like this and I wasn't prepared. When I got done with the format the computer was faster, with was what I wante but it's a 10 yr plus old pc. I didn't realize that My IE would be a IE 3.0 because I'm new to this I was having the worst time trying to fix it, I look every where online. And it keep making the pc mess up. Two days and 4 formats later I had finallty got it right kind of. The pc froze the last time I was on, which was yesterday but it's has IE5 now but I need to get a firewall and a antiviru. I hope it starts to work properly soon if anyone can offer advice I could use it.

I would recommend getting Windows 98 SE for it. Windows 95 is 10 years old operating system and has not been supported for years. It probably has security holes like swiss cheese. Windows 98SE is still (depending on the language, I think) somewhat supported. Meaning that MS should have patched at least the biggest vulnerabilities. Also it shouldn't be much heavier for your computer to run. Win95 doesn't have support for such as simple things as USB, which would probably be nice if that computer is actually in use. Other great option would be to install ultra light linux to it. Debian, for example is easy to install with light configurations. Modern desktop environments like KDE and GNOME are probably way too heavy for your machine to run.

Linux is a good idea, I personaly have 2 computers from the same time period running at my house and I use linux on both of them. There are some desktops designed to be light witch your system should be able to handle no problem. Another thing to try is Mozilla Firefox instead of IE. It will eliminate alot of the security holes of IE and is less resorce hungry.

Yep, Linux is the way to go.unlike windows, linux doesnt force users to buy new pc's to run up to date software.you could easily install a modern distro (with the eye candy turned off) on your old machine.that way you would benefit from a secure system. look into window managers like XFCE and iceWM.

I would say between running win 95 and IE 5 you have more problems than is worth running your computer for. If this is the only computer you have I suggest a couple of things.1. Beg Borrow or Steal a newer computer. Well don't actually steal it but you should be able to spend roughly 25-50 bucks or trade something for a newer computer than the one you currently have.2. Get Windows 98 SE - somebody you know probably has a copy they don't use at all they would sell for 5 bucks or even just give to you rather than throw away.3. Update IE - you should be able to get a free update online - check msn.com4. Get a firewall - Zone Alarm is a relatively decent free one - not the best but it's shareware will help to knock out 85% of the crap entering your computer.5. Try running your computer without going on line. The next time you reformat - wait until you test the computer for a few days before going online. If it works offline then you definitely are having issues with old software and/or security isues with IE. If not then you are having another problem not related to the internet. 6. In the future when you format always plan ahead and backup important files and drivers and gather the software you will be installing first BEFORE you format just in case you are missing something. It's easier to locate and salvage before you format.Good luck

I would not put linux on that machine. We also had an IBM Aptiva and when I tried to put linux on it, it took me four tries. When I finally got it running, it ran VERY slow with only the VESA framebuffer driver for video, and could not start any program in less than 15 seconds. OpenOffice took at least 5 minutes to open. It simply does not have enough RAM or video memory to run up-to-date programs. Formatting those machines is hell, as I remember it. IBM used quite a few proprietary parts (Mwave modem/sound card combination (!?)). It was impossible to find drivers for it under linux, and it ran so slow that I eventually just chunked it in the trash (we had another computer by the time I was messing around w/ it). Windows 98SE would be a good choice if you are going to put a new OS on it. But beware that it may be near impossible to find drivers (you could have to use windows 95 drivers that are on the rescue CD, which could create some serious stability problems). Good Luck.

Windows 98SE would deffinitly be what i would be trying on a system like that it will allow you to have more security than 95 and is slightly more up to date. Linux would also be a good idea assuming that you know and understand linux and can install it etc, however if not i would deffinitly stick with a windows system (unless you want to learn linux of course).

25-50 buck for a newer pc, really? but your right about planing ahead I had to format it 5 time before I finally got it running decent. But it would be a good idea to get a better one but first need a job. Thanks for all the advice. It helped, I tried zone alarm, it good so far.

Well run Zone Alarm along with Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-aware and then youve got a great combination going that can be added to with Antivir, I havent had a problem in ages nothing beats them and there all free search google for liks but AntiVir is at http://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-windows plus good to hear after 5 formats you actually got it working.

Another good NT-virus to use is AVG by Grisoft .. u can get it from ::http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, if u r on broadband, you can scan online free from ::http://www.antivirus.com/

Yeah it is. Well the desk top was thrown always or given to someone, the computer people something like that at least that's what she said. I still have this labtop with windows me. Which is ok but kind of slow after a while on the net. but once I reboot it starts to run fine, well sometimes. So how can I maintain the high level speed that it starts with when I reboot would be the question? SO can anyone provide information on this is so let me know. It would help a lot, I have adware remover, spybot, counter spy, crapcleaner, avg(anitvir) and a firewall. And I run them at least everyother day. So I think the pc is clean of that. But I still get some criticl stuff when I run adware remover. but everything else says that nothingwas found.