xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hashbang

Economics Rocks ... Literally what good is economics?

hehehe,anyone like economics? here i am studying for my economics exam. generally the subject sucks. they have their own language (pareto efficiency, marginal benefits, axiomatic social welfare functions, etc.) and basically reduce any simple concept into a series of indecipherable graphs.what have i learned from econoimcs?well, my band got it's name and first song from my economics studies. band name = bliss point and first single = indifference curves.anyone else find a real use for economics?cheershashbang

I am scrared of the name Economics.. really mate.. U remind me of my skool days when i had to memorize those civil laws, GDP, NDP money.. those kinda stuff for econ Paper........ ^_^.... Its of no use..... hah

Those complex names are actually known as jargon (linguisitc term). FYI.Anyway, I love economics. I've been following the DOW since I was 10, started buying stocks at 14, and have made a tidy proit from my adventures. My college economics course was a piece of cake, and I really enjoyed learning the logistics behind economic trends and cause/effect. Right now I'm using my knowledge to offer a projection service for another forum that has a small-scale market-based economy. Sure, most of the people on there are under 20, but hey, it's really quite amazing how economics work in general.Call me a freak, but I find this stuff fun.

Hey, I am currently also learning economics at school as I think it will help in a commerce type job in the future. Once word, ceteris paribus lolAt least I have finished my economics exams now and I am anxiously awating my results, I probably did **** ^_^I plan to buy some shares soon in a nice little company that has an increasingly positive turnover, I am really hoping things go well or else I could lose a heap of money i worked hard for these holidays.Soleq, you say you have made atidy profit from your shareholding, could you give us some tips to guide many others and I ?

It's really a crapshoot. I sold my stocks in July for $35/share. Now they're worth close to $65/share. Stupid me, but when it comes to the eat now or maybe lose money later, I choose the eat now option. Oh, and I bought at $15/share four years ago, so I had already doubled my money, and I didn't want to press my luck any farther. You play the game, and more often than not, the game plays you. :D Now, as for general tips, the number one thing is luck. Seriously. Like I said above, I bought the stocks four years ago, and during that time I saw my profits go high, then sink like a rock, then go back up. I sold on the up, but they just kept going up. Oh well.There are two types of investors (no, not smart ones and dumb ones): short term and long term. The best option is long term, as you'll always minimize your losses if you plan for a gain in the distant future. I have no idea how to short term trade. I guess just anticipate what you think will be hot, do your research, and stay near a phone. Long term is pretty easy, as you can invest in mutual funds that practically do all the hard work for you, or you can simply choose some good looking stocks and hold onto them for several years.I hope this helps you out. Sorry if it just makes you more confused. ^_^

I would love to be learning about stocks and investing so that I can try making some money out of stock trading, but I wonder whether there is any age requirement before you can purchase stocks. And I need capital to get started too.Anyway, does learning economics teach you how to trade stocks? I was taught only things like Laws of Diminishing Marginal Returns, Normal Profits, Opportunity Costs, etc. I guess I'm still in the basics of econsOn the whole, econs is not bad, but not very interesting either. A bit dull, yah?

You have to be at least 18 to open an account and make finacial decisions. If you're under, then you need someone to do it for you.Taking economics courses teaches you the theory of economics, which in turn helps you make informed decisions when making trades. For example, if you know how to analyze the data companies are required to give out in quarterly statements, you can make your own informed decisions that most people either don't give out or charge an arm and a leg for. Thus, the theory is very important. Dull, yes, but important nonetheless.I run through Sharebuilder.com, which is a nice service. I really need to buy some more stocks, but hey, money's tight and I'd rather not get evicted, right?

Go to http://www.slate.com/, they were recently running a special on intelligent investing. Simply put, you should mainly ignore a lot of the daily 'financial news' because it exists not to help you but to sell ads. As such, it is very panicky and following the 'picks of the day' is not good investing strategy. If it was as easy as listening to the guys yapping on the daily financial times, everyone would make a ton of money. In the end, responsible investing means diversifying your stocks, both in terms of markets and bluechip vs more risky prospects, and then sitting on them. Which is to say not doing much.