xisto Community
Hercco

Anyone Else Into Alternative Rock? Punk and HC particulary

They are all good bands, but I dont consider the white stripes, pixies, hives, or strokes as punk. They are definetly aternative, yes, but punk? No way. I think people are losing sight of what punk was really about: being downtrodden and playing music because you're angry about the way people more important than you have ****ed you around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't that make old Offspring music classified as punk?

I listen to Greenday&Evanescense& of course the offspring, but i don't like pinpointing any music as a certain type..know what i mean.

Old offspring, pre Americana, is punk. Everything after that just sucked beause they soldout. and went very mainstream. I think to be a punk band, you can't go mainstream. Like there are many good punk bands that are very popular, but they don't go mainstream to get more fans. Punks about not fitting in with society, and that's not what moden 'punk' is becoming. In an era where MTV controls the masses, the olny bands to get exposure will be those that conform to societys ideas of teenage rebellion. **** that, punk died in 1986 with the disbaning of the origional Dead Kennedys. There have been great punk bands since then, but punk is dead! It's spirit lives on in those that remember when music stood for something other than greed and fortune. Ah, to relive the hayday of punk music. To be at the Roxy, the Deaf Club, the shaddy spots in NYC and Boston and to se MC5 in Detroit or The Roxy as CCrass tore the place up. I'd give anything to travel back to the era of punk.RIP Punk 1969-1986Live fast, **** hard, die young!

Kind of going a little bit against what i said before, but people can play punk music but not be punk, just as people can be punk and not even like punk music. It's a lifestyle. By today's standards, and the true definition of punk, you might call communists punk. But no matter what anyone says, it's always going to be lost in arguments whether Good charlotte or a simple plan are punk etc... even if they do play some songs in the style that was adopted by punks to express their feelings, they aren't truly, and people don't get that. It's not wearing long shorts and singing about how sht high school was, it's not having a green mohawk and a leather jacket with studs on it, it's about expressing a different view to the mainstream.

I like mostly punk, like dead kennedys,toy dolls,exploited,special duties. A little bit of ska I like. some other bands-peter and the test tube babies,ramones,nekromantix, frankenstein drag queens from planet 13.

i myself am more into emo, screamo,post hardcore,punk ect.i do like all sorts of rock music and different genres no doubt.. but the above list is def. my fav. and i absolutly love going to shows and just listening to my favorite bands. some bands i like are:TBSMy Chemical RomanceThe UsedFall Out BoyMatchbook RomanceSilversteinBaysideUnderoathArmor for Sleepand sooo many more!!

here's my list. i'm missing a bunch though. but mainly this is what i put in my mp3 playerAgnostic Front The ClashSocial DistortionBlack FlagBantam (local)Dropkick MurphysFearReo SpeeddealerStiff Little FingersTSOLFun Lovin' CriminalsSick of It All (NYHC)Turbonegro

Everything that you don't see on TV is nice music to me, except if it hasn't a electric guitar in it. How about the classic metal band Seventh Avenue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.. I think as soon as you see it on like MTV, it becomes a sell out. Any good band is out there to spread their music. The music they write and produce. Not like most of that pop music, just in it to become famous. True artists just want to share their music, and those stupid groopies come in and make great bands become sell outs.

It sucks that bands will change themselves to make themselves more popular or rich. Money and fame can easily change people. I like The Clash and The Blood Brothers. Very different, but both are cool. Punk is about stating social, cultural, political, moral, etc problems and basically talking about the corrupt things in life, I think. I don't know what it is now, but I don't care. I like listening to good music. If you like music that involves the use of guitars, then I suggest that you learn how to play guitar for fun, unless you really suck at music. It's pretty calming and cool to play guitar in the living room. Better than watching cartoons.