xisto Community
Bigyan

Context Specific Search If we could also specify the context

Hi Guys,

I'am a gr8 fan of GOOGLE. It really rocks. But don't you think that it would have been a lot better if it gave results in context ie if we could also specify the context !!.

Say I search for "bird", Google SE, returns web pages with the word bird written on it. Maybe in that page the word "bird" has been used as ssurname ; and not a flying object.

So say, if we could also specify the context, don't you guys fell that it'd have mproved a lot ??

Bye

Bigyan

Don't think that's going to be possible, Bigyan. It's near to impossible for a spider/bot to determine the context of text properly, and since that problem, it would thus cause alot of accurate results to be left out, or incorrect results to still be in there (misinterpretation by the bot).Future talk, for the years when computers walk amoung us.

Well I think there is a solution. YOU should be more specific and add more words in your search to narrow it down.. If you know what species of bird you are looking for, use the name of the species. Or give in your search terms in that way that google would only display nature sites.. Nothing as easy as that.. Cheers

Yup guess both of you are right !!. I have to leave the idea of these search engines be context specific and concentrate on improving my search by using more accurate keywords.But wouldn't it have been nice if we could have a context based searching system ?? Maybe someday we will have ...................Bye,Bigyan

Google Search has a lot many tools and syntax. Use them to get the best out of your search. You can do calculations, region oriented search, site specific search etc.. you can also use AND and OR operators for more targetted searches... There are also operators ( + , - ) which are supported. Use them.

Here are some useful links.

for search on US Government, use https://www.google.com/unclesam..

there are more here .. visit SPECIAL SEARCHES section of google.

https://support.google.com/websearch/

This page will tell you, each and every feature of the Google search.

https://support.google.com/websearch/

-OpaQue.

Hi OpaQue,I knew about the pages that you mentioned except for that "unclesam" one. But the fact is that, I'm not trying to know "How to search better with Google". I am just asking you guys to comment on the fact that if Google could have been context specific, then it would have been good.Hope I've made my point clear.Bye,Bigyan

Hey bluewind,Please write in sensible English. I cannot make a head or tail out of your post. Your question could not be understood.Bye,Bigyan

Bigyan, an excellent thread. The fact that we are not able to find information based on the context, as you expressed it, is the challenge of the web.

The problem lies in the HTML. Well not specifically HTML, just the fact the it became the most used document format in the web.

HTML is, as you know, a markup languge. Apart from the text and the images (and other such objects)a HTML document only includes information about how the page should be viewed in a browser. What it lacks is meta-information.

Trying to avoid writing a novel here I just explain meta-information with one sentence: Information about information.

What languege should be used then? Well probably somthing with meta-information. That'd be XML.

Instead of sayiong just "bird" in XML there is: "<animal>bird</animal>".

This leads to the concept of semantic web, a meaninful web. A web that is not just helluva lot of text but more like an organized database. So when you wanted got information on a person whose surname is "Bird" you wouldn't get stuff about flying animals.