xisto Community
OpaQue

Flaws In MSN Search according to me :-)

msn search sometimes may be useful but the searches may not be relevant to mei find itand maybe it has too many advertising in itbut some people says that msn search is fast and easyi dunnoe it all depends

I did not check all the answers and will may.be repeat a well-know point.

There is a guy on internet who pointed out that MSN search gives preference to Websites hosted on Windows systems.

He published statitics to proove his point of vue.

If someone is interested, I may find his address out of my notices.

I personally never used MSN search.

the biggest flaw tht i noticed is tht msn search gives too much results. like ok, for example,i had it index my website, so it added every single page on my website and all the pages linking to my website and some pages linking to the links to my website. Its just too much. if u search for a certain thing on it u get a bunch of crap u dont really need, so it takes a long time to find what you want

Third, It takes a very long time before your site appears in MSN search. I really hate this fact. Google includes any site with in a week and starts showing its indexed contect within a month or two.

I disagree. My forum site wasn't included for a couple months. I wasn't very disappointed but when it GOT included, and it was taken out a couple months later, I was frustrated. Well, my site needs a lot more content anyway.

Hehehe... Star Wars

Third, It takes a very long time before your site appears in MSN search. I really hate this fact. Google includes any site with in a week and starts showing its indexed contect within a month or two.

Though I find Google to be a far superior search engine, I disagree there. My site appeared automatically on MSN search (I'm sitting here wondering how?), but it took many months (after a long submission process wait) before Google put it in. Luckily, Google hasn't taken it out. This is probably due to the fact that I don't have many incoming links (currently only two or three, and one of them isn't even in Google's index).

Nonetheless, Google does come up with far more relevant results than MSN, thus, I tend to prefer it more. MSN's ads are definitely a major flaw. A clean, simple design attracts a lot of users (like me) who can't stand clutter. It also helps the visually confused--they can easily figure out Google's design and what exactly they're supposed to do on it, while MSN's takes some analyzing. For instance, my grandmother had a hard time figuring out just where MSN's search box was. Waaaay too much clutter.

I did not check all the answers and will may.be repeat a well-know point.

There is a guy on internet who pointed out that MSN search gives preference to Websites hosted on Windows systems.

He published statitics to proove his point of vue.

If someone is interested, I may find his address out of my notices.

I personally never used MSN search.

Wow. Really? Very possible....but also very shocking. If that were true, that's such a blatant attack..Gosh.

Though, whatever system MSN uses, it doesn't exactly favor itself--when I search Google with the search query "website", it comes up with Microsoft Corporation. When I search MSN for the same thing, it comes up with the Wikipedia definition. I do suppose in this case MSN's search would be more relevant--most users searching "website" probably aren't interested in Microsoft's official website, nor Adobe's, nor George W. Bush's.

On the other hand, searching something more relevant to me such as "drop down menus" returns results far more useful from Google than from MSN. Google ranks number one as AListApart, which does provide a great drop down menu example. MSN's number one site is a forum post. :unsure:

And another thing--MSN is very slow while loading. Google takes me around a second to load up its home page, but MSN takes at least three. Usually when I want to quick search something, I prefer to spend very little time in the search engine, and MSN makes that nearly impossible.

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)