xisto Community
r3d1405241470

full flash sites good or bad?

Increasingly, as more and more people surf on broadband connections, I think Flash sites and animations will gain greater acceptance. For surfers on broadband, I think Flash will enhance their surfing experience.

Full flash sites are only good when you have nothing better to do than sit in front of a blank screen for 5 minutes per page for a bunch of crappy moving pictures etc. I really dislike them, I mean a flash in the top corner of each page on a site to catch the attention is okay but pages and pages full of them? There is just no need for that much flash!

hehe thats true. I really dislike them too. I think you really dont need those pictures moving everywhere dancing singing and making the webmaster think he has done some thing great. I only like to wait for online flash games, not for a website waiting for that bar to go on to 100 %. But flash can be handy if used wisely like some of you have already said. But sites dependent totaly on flash really piss me off.

well you need flash playe for most things like games so must of the time you will already have Flash Player installed. The thing about coping if good and bad. It means people can't steal your work without having to type it out but you ahve to type it all in yourself is the main problem.

i think it's a good way of designing a webpage... you say it takes forever to load.. but when it's fully loaded u don't have to wait for nothing more... php and html.. and all codes in general take fewer time to load ONE page... but it would take "forever" to load teh entire contents....that's why full flash sites are good for company sites (not so many information cantained in it).. making it enjoyable to see (even if is dull data).. jejeThese sites a very good for artists pages... u can take full advantage of media settings...in general. For each necesitie there's a solution.. full flash sites are not meant for every need...

I'd also like to remind that although flash nowadays is mostly used to create intro animations and menus to websites, it can be also used as a powerful to present content. If you have for example made research on history nothing isn't more illustrative as an flash timeline that reacts to mouse movement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on, right on! The first thing that interested me in flash was its ability to animate!! Sure, it's great for graphic designers, but what about those closeted animators? :)Homestar Runneris all flash!! If only there were more like that out there... To limit Flash to measly intros is so stifling, I think! :)

Flash IS accsessible to anyone..it is a free download!The main advantage to flash that I think will only make it more and more popular as more and more people get faster connection :) is this:When you create an application for the web or for windows (linux, ect) you have three main layers. 1)Presentation layer 2)Application Layler 3) Data layer.Let us say that I have a guest book. I can view the guestbook, and I can post to the guestbook. As the owner, I can edit the guestbook.When I click on the veiw guestbook button, the application layer goes to the data layer, pulls up the data, parses it and then sends it to the presentaion layer for display. Same thing happens when I add an entry. Presentation, Application, Data, Application, Presentation. Each of these is a call to the server. In flash, my presentation layer and my application layer are contained in one single flash file. Once it loads, it is loaded and all of the application calls are run from the client side rather than the server.

Here is my opinion on the use of flash sites and how i feel about visiting them, for what its worth.Flash is a good program. But it does have more uses to it than the construction of a completley visual-oriented site that takes forever to load. If you have a faster internet connection, and/or a few minutes of time, it does look nice. From a viewers perspective, It is more or less impressive and professional looking. It seems every fashion designer site is using flash extensivley (http://www.robertocavalli.com/us_en/). I'd recommend an all-flash site for someone who has little content, but more pictures and sounds. But if you're trying to reach a broad audience with information, I'd advise using less flash. I find that a flash site is more annoying to update, even using macromedia. :P Personally, I like to combine flash with html and other scripts. It is quicker loading, it allows the presentation of more information and content than a full flash site, and still could have the professional look and feel to it. :P

If you guys want to see a really cool site entirely developed in flash - and boasts some really snazzy flash effects, try this:

http://www.eye4u.com/

Once you are there follow the links till you get to their main menu and THEN, check out the SHOWCASE they have - these guys have designed the flash sites for some BIG companies around the world.. Their showcase is worth spending HOURS ... they display some innovative blend of technique and colors..
Have fun :P

Flash can be very good when used in moderation. i do not personally like full flash sites even though i have done a couple before. I find them a little annoying, i am not sure why. it seems to me that the people that i know that have done flash sites do them for the security of the information help within, and not much else. When used for like headers and footers which contain little animations it can appear to make the website that little more interactive and gives the feeling that the owner has spent some time on it. Have some of you noticed that UN-professional flash sites are either Red or Blue?

Something really bad about full-flash sites is that search engines like google, etc.. don't indez the contents..Althoug you can put the info hiden in the code for indexing porpouse.. taht''s why samll content sites are suitable...i think

The site I am making now will be a flash site, and I don't think flash loads that slow. I will add a preloader to each page, and it might only need to load for like 5 seconds. I will be making another version of the site too, so that people who don't like flash can choose to have the html/php version.

Well, for those of us in the mobile community, flash really sucks. if you have a pda phone, congrats, you are lucky, except the flash has to be formatted for each certain phone to work right. And how many templates for mobile phones are there? too many. Plus, if you don't have a pda phone, and you have, say a tmobile sidekick, flash isn't even remotely loaded. so, you miss naviagtion and sometimes full websites. Thats my opinion.peaceaaron

flash gives an enhancement mostly in personal webiez specially a full flash which made for broadband users, and some or most company also use flash for their presentation(full flash) and advertisement(banner size). actually their main target of using full flash is for the rich people where 99.99% of them use broadband in thier PC or laptop. since mobile phone, unfortunately is in rapid development but not fully compatible to flash webiez. also there are flash application for pda but not considered a flash webiez. what i mean that full flash sites is not meant to be for pda users, whose have a lower screen resolution and a minimal browser that almost same as the old browser. if you want a webiez that have a nice view in pda ,.. full sites or partial flash is not a good choice, for now :Ptry xhtml or some mark up languages for mobiles,... now it should looks good :P