xisto Community
r3d1405241470

full flash sites good or bad?

Full flash sites are either amazing, or completly horrid. A good flash site will be functional at the same time as looking good. Personaly, I just use HTML... Probobly because i dont know anything else! :P

I dislike sites that rely entirely on flash, as they are usually overly complex, take too long to load (especvially for those poor 56k users :P )Menus in flash are a good idea, as they make a site more dynamic, but again they still need to be kept simple, as too much is a bit of a turn-off.

Sites that use alot of flash are cool, but only if you have a high-speed connection or alot of time on your hands. However, I think having a lot of flash on your site tends to make it "busy" and less professional. Having a flash menu is a good way to make a site interactive somewhat, but having alot of it really can bring a site down...

sites that use flash is nice, but I was never a true fan of a full flash-based website. Unless, all you plan is to dazzle your viewers with pretty colors and sounds...it seems somewhat useless in my opinion ^_^

Flash sites are bad :P The most important task for a website is to give information. But with full flash sites that's not the case. I think it's only acceptable if the whole point of the site is the design...

It all depends on what kind of site you're running. I mean, a site like HomestarRunner.com pretty much has to have flash. But if it's just a website for information, Flash can make the load times too big and mess it up. Sure, Flash looks good if you do it right, but when it comes to faster load times or moving pictures, speed wins.

There is a time and place for everything. Flash is nice, but the load time can be a killer for the info seeker who is in a hurry. They usually want answers, not entertainment. The conception stage of the site is where to deside to use flash or not. If your sites are tageting specific info seekers and not just surfers than I would say no to any flash at all. In addition, search engine spiders are unable to index any of the content as it is embedded code on another document. It doesn't follow the link.If you must, contain it in a data cell above a content table or something to that effect. That way there is some flash effect on the page, but the content remains visible to the spiders.

As a rule, Flash is the current most unified form of multimedia authoring for the web so it is best suited for fully multimedia sites like movie-trailer sites, musicians' sites, etc where the site visitor is looking to be entertained (and will presumably have the patience to wait for gratification). I don't think sites like BBC.Co.Uk of Google.Com should use Flash because it just doesn't cut it.If you think you will be changing your site regularly, think of using css, and think of making you site modular. Think about loading your images and audio clips and text from external sources, and think of using vector graphics and symbols as much as possible. Finally, if you must use Flash, think about making it possible for spiders to still be able to crawl your site and in the interest of those who do not have Flash enabled browsers, think of providing an html version nonetheless.

Yes i feel Too much flash is not good for good site... but if you are to show your extreme talent... then its ok... and if you want to deliver information then i think flash should be kept to minimum...it takes loads of time to load....

heh my biggest problem with a flash site is the time it takes to load the page. But once your in everything usually loads at a good rate and you can do some increadable stuff with flash. That JKRowlings site is a good example of well done flash site. Yet it still takes to long to load for my tastes.

Flash sites have some huge disadvantages.

You can't copy/paste text from/in them.

You can't copy an URL to show a specific thing to somebody else, you need to tell them what options to click and all to get there....

They're slow to load, high in graphics, not dynamic enough regarding resolutions etc

They're very hard to manage and maintain in a dynamic environment. If you need to update your site often it's a pain in the *bottom*.

It often gets far too confusing and misleading for users.

Not everybody has flash support, so you limit your target audience even more.

The sounds with them are often uncalled for and can lead to increadible annoyance with some users. Using sounds on the web without users expecting them is a big No No.

Flash is very nice and amasing for high quality feed, but not at all an option for full website, as it defeats the entire concept of what a website is supposed to be. Accessable, dynamic, and expansive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That they can't copy is good for the webmasters.

They aren't always slow, the webmaster can get it down.

The sounds can the most of the time putted off.

And installing Flash Player have a duration of 2 minutes.

I'm working zelf with flash so, i know it

Pieter [flasher]