xisto Community
kokushta

Volume Control icon disappeared Cant display VolCtrl icon in taskbar

My Volume Control icon disappeared. I went to Control Panel and choosed Sounds and Audio devices properties and when I opt for 'Place Volume icon in the taskbar' I got this error message (see the pic below):

Posted Image

What can I do to have it back in the taskbar?

You're missing the "sndvol32.exe" file in your Windows\System32 directory. I've got Windows Server 2003, so I can't give you mine, but try this after putting your Windows CD in the drive:

Expand <CD-ROM_Drive>:\i386\sndvol32.ex_ %windir%\system32\dllcache\sndvol32.exeExpand <CD-ROM_Drive>:\i386\sndvol32.ex_ %windir%\system32\sndvol32.exe
You'll need to type those lines (after replacing <CD-ROM_Drive> with the drive letter of your CDROM) in the Windows Console. (Press Start => Run.. => Type "Cmd", Press Ok.)
This will extract the files from your Windows CD back to your hard disk.

Good luck.

You're missing the "sndvol32.exe" file in your Windows\System32 directory. I've got Windows Server 2003, so I can't give you mine, but try this after putting your Windows CD in the drive:

Expand <CD-ROM_Drive>:\i386\sndvol32.ex_ %windir%\system32\dllcache\sndvol32.exeExpand <CD-ROM_Drive>:\i386\sndvol32.ex_ %windir%\system32\sndvol32.exe
You'll need to type those lines (after replacing <CD-ROM_Drive> with the drive letter of your CDROM) in the Windows Console. (Press Start => Run.. => Type "Cmd", Press Ok.)

This will extract the files from your Windows CD back to your hard disk.

Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, very helpful. It worked! :)

Replying to lhunathUuuum... Yea, could you explain it in a way that a 13 year old could comprehend? I'm confused and this is the only site that had a solution... Could you put a simpler walkthrough please? thanks in advance-reply by Joey

<a href=http://forums.xisto.com/topic/80392-topic/?findpost=1064277326 to lhunath</a>
Uuuum... Yea, could you explain it in a way that a 13 year old could comprehend? I'm confused and this is the only site that had a solution... Could you put a simpler walkthrough please? thanks in advance
-reply by Joey

What lhunath was sayingis that you are missing two files. These two files are on the Windows installation CD, and lhuth's post give the trick in order to take them from the CD to your hard disk. They are compressed on the CD, you need them uncompressed on your hard disk, that's why the command line seems so complicated : the syntax is expand cd_name hard_disk_name.
Don't know if a 13 year old child could understand this, but I hope it was clear enough for you ? Else simply tell us.
Yordan