xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
microdude431

MP3 Players

60Gb of music.... whats the point ?

when a minute of audio is approxamatly 1Meg....

let do some mental maths...

Minutes of music / minutes in a week = 61440 / 10080

Approx 6 weeks of none stop, 24 hours a day, music....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Err.. Did you Calculate the life of the battery .. LOL. I am sure you missed that part.

Lets assume the Great MP3 player works non-stop for 8 hours!

1 hour = 60 mins.

8 hours = 480 mins

61440 mins / 480 mins = 128 Batteries.

You got one battery already fixed in your IPod! Now you will need 127 extra!

Get ready to buy those :)

HHHhhhmmm..... That means I have a little over two weeks of music on my hard drive....

That said, I doubt anyone buys the larger ipods for only music. I for one want an ipod for use as a portable hard drive/backup.

1024 Megs in a Gig, * 60 =

1000 * 60 + 24 * 60 =

60000 + 20 * 60 + 4 * 60 =

60000 + 20 * 60 + 240 =

60240 + 20 * 60 =

60240 + 1200 =

61440 minutes of music.

minutes in a day = 60 * 24 =

10 * (24 * 4 + 24 * 2) =

(96 + 48) * 10 =

minutes in a week = 7*1000 + 7*400 + 7*40 =

7000 + 2800 + 280 =

9800 + 280 =

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have an iPod mini...OMG i luv it so much!!! I take it everywhere with me and i mean everywhere. (i named him jimmy...when you first plug in an iPod into your compy, you have to name it). plus i my cousin knows people that love their iPod so much, when they're sleeping, its either on the bed stand, or on them 0.o ...CrReEpY... i just hope they don't try to have "intamate" (spelling?) relations with their iPods.

1024 Megs in a Gig, * 60 =

1000 * 60 + 24 * 60 =

60000 + 20 * 60 + 4 * 60 =

60000 + 20 * 60 + 240 =

60240 + 20 * 60 =

60240 + 1200 =

61440 minutes of music.

minutes in a day = 60 * 24 =

10 * (24 * 4 + 24 * 2) =

(96 + 48) * 10 =

minutes in a week = 7*1000 + 7*400 + 7*40 =

7000 + 2800 + 280 =

9800 + 280 =

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 60 GB iPod is an iPod photo so it's meant to hold pictures too. Not to mention that all the iPods work as portable HD's for any kind of file.

Err.. Did you Calculate the life of the battery .. LOL. I am sure you missed that part.

Lets assume the Great MP3 player works non-stop for 8 hours!

1 hour = 60 mins.

8 hours = 480 mins

61440 mins / 480 mins = 128 Batteries.

You got one battery already fixed in your IPod! Now you will need 127 extra!

Get ready to buy those :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:)

The iPods battery is rechargeable, so you only need one.

I used to shop for mp3 players in Hong Kong where the designs are much up-to-date and cheaper than in America or where I reside, B.C., Canada. Now, I question the 'cheaper' part but still the models in Asia are much more high tech than the ones over here. The only problem with the ones in H.K. are they're usually 128 mb to 256 mb. They're light, small, and very compact but not enough room to store over 100 songs. I, myself, own a Creative Player Nomad MuVo2 1.5 GB. I find it very reliable since I had it for a year and it hasn't broke down yet. Plus, 1.5 GB is enough for me. o__o The only thing that sucks about it is that the charger is one of those big fat plugs from England and I have to use a plug converter (which I keep leaving behind in hotels when I'm on trips...). Another one I have is JNC Digital Audio Player SSF-502, which only has 256 mb of space. It's fun to bring along since it's pretty light and only runs on a AAA battery but I still prefer my Nomad mp3 player. *Shrugs* I personally think that 1-2 GB for a mp3 player is good enough. Besides, so many people have Ipods, I tend to forget how expensive they are. o__O

I have a MuVo myself but envy my cousin since she got a Zen Micro.I don't see why so many people bought the Apple iPod even when Creative comes up with a better version to compete with it.iPod has 51% of the mp3 market while Creative is trying to get theirs from 25% to 40%.

I have a MuVo myself but envy my cousin since she got a Zen Micro.I don't see why so many people bought the Apple iPod even when Creative comes up with a better version to compete with it.

iPod has 51% of the mp3 market while Creative is trying to get theirs from 25% to 40%.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last thing I read said that ipod(+ipod mini) had more like 70%(either cnet or some other tech site). The reason people like the ipod is 1. It looks nice and is trendy. 2. It has fantastic sound and good earphones. 3. It is increadibly easy to use and intuitive. 4. It has lots of nifty accessories.

Some other players have similar specs, sometimes for slightly less money. But people see the ipod as a trendy thing, and people are willing to spend money on 'trendy'. Also, the nice ease of use is something many people care about. Also, I noticed a lot of companies putting out stuff about the nice features that it comes with, like wma support. Frankly(to go on a rant real quick) nobody cares about wma. Claims of stuff like 'compatible with the most online stores!'. Of course, except for the main one(itunes).

Anyway, the reason people buy apple is for the combination of all of the above reasons, and because no company has as of yet produced anything as good(overall). The big thing I notice is generally ugly players, that have bad interfaces and that usually have not so hot programs for using them.

What I want, is a company to come out with a player that is 20 or 40gb, has just as good sound quality(claims of better I have a hard time buying, my understanding is that the big ipod and the ipod shuffle have perfectly flat frequency response curves.(pcworld or pcmag, can't remember which one). You *cannot* get better than that. The only thing you can do is get better headphones for playback), just as easy to use, looks better(get rid of the chrome backing or go all chrome), has ogg vorbis playback, comes with a program to break all known stupid DRM schemes(aint gonna happen), supports one lossless codec(preferably an open one, but once its lossless it doesn't matter as much, since conversion doesn't introduce quality loss), is smaller than the current ipod(like, a largish cellphone maybe), and has similar pheriphal support. It should also be readable on any OS(for windows it should use a good program for access and then use some other filesystem than the ones that windows natively recognizes, since none of them are that good.).

lol, all of your posts are way to long.ANyways, back to the subject...i have an ipod mini and an iRiver 128mb. I regret getting the mini...wish i had gotten the original with more space. The mini isn't that small anyways...

lol, all of your posts are way to long.

ANyways, back to the subject...i have an ipod mini and an iRiver 128mb. I regret getting the mini...wish i had gotten the original with more space. The mini isn't that small anyways...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, maybe. I try and break em up for readability. Maybe this is why people think I am saying things I am not.

Ah yes you are probably right about the four points but I just can't seem to accept the fact that the Creative Zen Micro is not trendy?! My taste must be considered bad by those people who buy iPods but I consider theirs as bad as mine so seriously, no offense.Okay...maybe 51% of the people thinks iPod Mini is good and the 25% chooses the Zen Micro.I'll be one of the 25%.

I agree with you on the "trendy" thing. Everybody always likes to follow trends and soon, the current trend will die out and a new one will be created and thrown out into the market and everybody once again, will follow the new "trend." I'm not saying it's a bad thing because I know many people who follow trends and they have excellent tastes. And I'm not saying the Ipod is bad because it's "trendy" for I also like the Ipod though I do not prefer to own one. I'm sure it has great earplugs and acoustics but accessories? Sorry, I'm not a big fan on accessories. Personally, I think accessories are a waste of money and tend to loose their purpose quite easily.

I agree with you on the "trendy" thing.  Everybody always likes to follow trends and soon, the current trend will die out and a new one will be created and thrown out into the market and everybody once again, will follow the new "trend."  I'm not saying it's a bad thing because I know many people who follow trends and they have excellent tastes.  And I'm not saying the Ipod is bad because it's "trendy" for I also like the Ipod though I do not prefer to own one.  I'm sure it has great earplugs and acoustics but accessories?  Sorry, I'm not a big fan on accessories.  Personally, I think accessories are a waste of money and tend to loose their purpose quite easily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, its things like built in docks for the ipod in certain cars, things like the itrip and so on and so forth. I agree, in that I don't care too much, but don't forget the 'teen girl who wants to show how 'her' she is' market, which sadly drives WAY too much consumer stuff these days. If you are reading this and your daughter is like that, please help America and cut her allowance to a third and make her get a job.

Back on track, the main things I care about with the ipod are 1. works on both my pc and mac. 2. sound quality. 3. Ease of use. 4. not hideous. There are lots of other things I would like, but those are the bare minimum. Ipod does this well.

I own a Sony MiniDisc player. The main reason I purchased this over one of the flash (not HD) mp3 players is that they have interchangeable media. If you ever get tired of the music you have on there, you don't have to overwrite the old files; instead, you just change a disc. On mine, the discs can store more than 5 hours of fairly high-quality music.Also, MiniDisc players use Sony's patented ATRAC3 format, which I personally think is better than mp3. In mp3, data is compressed on all frequencies, causing an evenly-distributed loss of integrity. However, ATRAC3 compression degrades only select frequencies that you don't tend to hear so much in music. Hence, the songs can be compressed without much of a noticeable loss of quality.Since I got mine, Sony has also come out with Mini-HD, which fits even more data on a disc. I hear you can fit 45 hours of audio on a single disc. The media is fairly cheap (about $3 per disc), the storage is great, and the price is fairly low compared to HD mp3 players such as i-Pod.All considered, I highly recommend Sony's MD players above flash or HD mp3 players.

why don't i hear anyone about the philips Micro audio jukebox?

isnt it good or dont you know it; isnt it available at <name>yourcountry</name>?? i'm gonna buy it i think:

1000+ songs / FM-radio, smaller than a creditcard, 128 x 96 screen, 2 GB, all I need, really rechargeable Li-ion battery

it’s perfect for me, and I’m gonna buy it for €130, 2nd hand, but not used. ;)

I’ll see your view on this.

Posted Image

:more information here: