xisto Community
k221405241470

Someone from the Sun? Solaris OS family

Have you ever tried Solaris 9 or other Os of this family?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, Solaris is pretty nice, but beware, you won't find as many programs out there as you will with Linux or BSD. Sunfreeware.com would be the best place to pick up any software you want, but if you want to compile source code...you may be in for an unpleasant surprise..I got all the right tools installed in the right places, but it would always try to use the dummy app for the SunW compiler, rather than using my installed version of GCC.I think you'll probably end up liking that BSD better, but it's jsut a matter of personal taste, really. Solaris is a but more Beginner-oriented (but not by much) for new users. Oh yes...and your performance will be much better if you use the CDE interface instead of the "Java Desktop Environment" (or it might be Platform..)and you may end up needing OSS to get sound.Good luck!

I havent ever used Solaris but i would love to try it sometime!it looks good and ive read some great reviews about the operating system.From memory there is also a paid one?Sun have done a great job with solaris, i know that anyway!

I do have two DVD with Solaris on it, I've already tried them in VirtualPC (no time to test on a normal pc, maybe during the vacations) but my first impressions are that it's just another linux distribution ... I may be wrong, because I've only tested the first DVD (the distribution on the second DVD wouldn't start in VPC).