xisto Community
dazza67

Open Source blog software - what's best? Advice on blogging software

I'm interested in setting up my own blog site and have toyed with a couple of offerings but I figure someone out there might have some sage advice on what best meets my (humble) needs..Initially I'd like to test the software on my own system which is Win32 running Apache2, PHP 4.3.8 and MySQL. I'd ideally like to have my musings etc stored on a dbase and some measure of control over security and look-n-feel stuff. Something that makes use of CSS but not necessarily all singing all dancing..just a calendar, a place to write entries, maybe a sidebar with some links to favourite sites/other blogs I browse and that's about it - oh, and maybe room for reader comments too! :) And all this in an open source offering preferrably. Asking too much? Any feedback, sugegstions gratefully received.

Well, I'm not a blogger but I'm fan of a chilean blog wich uses Movable Type. It looks pretty fine. If you can read in spanish please visit Francotirador at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

More posts about your questions you can find in the topic which CMS is the BEST? started by honeycomb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops! I'm showing my age - I thought CMS stood for Customer Management System so I didn't even read that post :) .

Thanks for the heads up - have now read Honeycombs responses and back in the hunt. Cheers! :)

Movable Type is by far the suprior blogging tool on Earth (in my opinion), and i think it does fits all your requirements.

System requirements: MT runs on PHP and mySQL, so it's should be OK for you.

Security: Although the basic MT package itself is quite lacking in protection against comment and trackback spam, there are many who have written plugins for MT. Some of these plugins include protection against comment spammers.

Look-n-feel stuff: MT is template driven. Just change the templates, the CSS styles, and you can change the appearance of your blog easily. No need to update every single page.

Calendar, a place to write entries, sidebar, reader comments: all included functions in MT. In fact you can just use any of the templates that come with MT, they have all you need

Download MT for free: https://movabletype.org/

Yes, I agree with ijcguy. Wordpress is a good blog engine for quick starting / personal blogging but movable type is the best. However installing movable type on your own computer running windows xp is difficult. You can install wordpress on your own machine easily with just 3 or 4 clicks.

Edited by hikmet (see edit history)

I haven't tried Movable Type yet, I've used Wordpress in a few sites and I can tell you that is a piece of cake to install and have it running, either as a pre-installed script, or doing it all by yourself: the step-by-step instalation is very easy to follow. As pointed out before, it has a great community, and also good communities in different languages, full of people and you usually get help very quickly in case you get stuck. As a plus, many many templates and plugins to choose from.

I will reccomend you wordpress OR pMachine, with the first option you will get many addons and zillions of free templates as the community of wordpress users are very huge you will get good support aswell if you ask nicely.
Wordpress is being developed very rapidly and is a very nice piece of script tp work with..so go with wordpress

make your own blog-script! haha! learn php and do it yourself. you'll have more freedom about the layout and stuff.

One can achive all that with good templating skills.It will take a lot more time and energy to develop a new system

--

knight17