xisto Community
gc472118

What Think You Of Windows Xp-95-98-2000

MAC rulezz... Microsoft products are all copied from other place ..Trust the original... I use Mac and I'm very pleased

Trust the origonal....... ?!

Well... i actually like the mac... but from the way you call it on origonal, you are probably unaware that MacOS 1 -> 9 absolutly sucked... and the Mac almost went bankrupt.. what Saved it was MacOSX, which is based on FreeBSD... a re-written kernel, and new Graphical interface.. but the guts that make it work are BSD... and FreeBSD just like Linux are Open source Unix clones....

so.... well... Yay to the origonal... UNIX !

infact most OS today are unix based. (except windows)

Windows XP SP2

Less Security Flaws

Better System Management

More user-friendly than ever!

Nice interface.

Good features

Possibility of new security and hardware updates for free [Registered]

... and works well for me.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MS said that Windows98 SE was more secure and fewer bugs than windoes 98..

it said the same about windows 2000... it said the same about windowsXP.. it said the same about Serive pack 1... and now its saying the same about service pack 2....

and yet the number of exploits and virii written has been exponentially increacing ever since DOS.

Windows 2000 is what I am using. It's perfectly fine and I don't really see the need (for someone like me) to have XP.Although, I would like to try a Mac OS out. I've used Win and Linux, now I need to try a Mac!

Heh, well, I'm still sticking with Windows. Can't wait for Longhorn to come!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are you excited about Longhorn ?

from what ive read, all the major changes are in the API's.

Unless you are a developer, this wont affect you.

WinFS DID look interesting.... but thats dead...

and the Linux version of WinFS was intersting... but the novelty wares off quickly.

MS said that Windows98 SE was more secure and fewer bugs than windoes 98..

it said the same about windows 2000... it said the same about windowsXP.. it said the same about Serive pack 1... and now its saying the same about service pack 2....

and yet the number of exploits and virii written has been exponentially increacing ever since DOS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm, it is only my opinion, if you say that - then I can do nothing as it is your opinion. People always claim this and that but it's the experience of the user that really counts. I've used windows 98 and if you ask me, Windows XP is a lot better. Why would microsoft release Windows XP if it was not better than Windows 98? Maybe you just used the first release of XP and you failed to upgrade it? It is very normal for every software to have security flaws, even their latest releases(yes, it is normal) or maybe you haven't used Windows XP at all? If you're saying that because you hear people say it(or microsoft themselves) then better not say it at all.

-Look at the interface and features of Windows XP and Windows 98, can you differentiate which is the better one?- :)

actually, the complete source code of windows 2000 was leaked last year because I remember taking a look at the code. As for me, I use windows XP because it runs fine on my pc and is more of a mainstream OS than the business model of Windows 2000.

WIndowsXP!!!!-If you don't count the security holes. When I had Windows 95, crashes, slowdowns,security problems, etc. If you ask me, 95 is the worst version of windows yet. But, XP does seem to have some problems with backward-compatable programs

I've been using Windows 98SE since I bought my computer in 2001, which I am still using. I've heard and read that Windows XP has a lot of issues such as security holes, which must be patched and many of today's viruses/trojans/worms seem to target Win XP. Another reason that I have not switched to XP is that I have a number of old games, most of them bought before 2000 and because of this, are not compatible with XP. This means that I wouldn't be able to play them anymore. The most obvious reason is that Win XP is quite expensive in my country and that I might want to upgrade my hardware as well - My system is a P-III 1GHz (256MB RAM).

Well, to say what of the Microsoft Windows programs are better, I think is a little difficult because all of they are so regular. But Microsoft try to get someting better with windows Xp, but if you have an slower machine I think that the best software of Microsoft for this is the Windows 98 the Second Edition, not the first, it is pooooor. And maybe you can also use in your slow computer, windows2000 to no be so old in the market of software.Windows Xp works .. well.. "fine" but in my personal opinion I think is better the free source programs. jeje... yeah Linux for example!

When I buy a computer, I buy it with it's operating system. As it is a full guaranteed system, I go to customer service if something happens. And at customer service, during one year, they don't accept that I touch anything on the hardware nor on the software part, else the garantee is out and I have to pay the repairs.

So, my first PC had ms-dos.

The second one had Windows 95.

The next one had Windows 98Second Edition.

The next one had windows Millenium Edition.

And the current one has Widonws XP.

For each computer, I didn't touch anything during one year because of garantee. And after one year, I see that my system remains rather stable, I see no need to change it. And after three years, I can't play games any more on my computers becaus my graphic board is too old, because my processor is too slow, and I buy a new system, which comes with it's own OS.

My last PC I paid it 900 dollars. And in the same shop I saw the same system (I mean same CPU, same memory, same disks) at 500 dollars. The reason why ? The cheap one was with Linux !

So, folks, it's coming. Microsoft starts loosing the war ! The new PC's in the supermarkets start coming with Linux as operating systems !

Linux is winning the war ! Linux forever !!Linux! Linux !

The new PC's in the supermarkets start coming with Linux as operating systems !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can buy PCs at supermarkets? I mean, I know they carry "apples" in the produce section . :D

I have XP on my desktop and laptop, but I advised my little brother to install Windows 98 SE on his early 90's desktop. Windows 98SE is the best Windows OS for slow/old computers, and XP for their faster/newer brothers.

Of course, if there were a Photoshop for Linux, I'd probably be using that.

So, folks, it's coming. Microsoft starts loosing the war ! The new PC's in the supermarkets start coming with Linux as operating systems !Linux is winning the war ! Linux forever !!Linux! Linux !

Lol, calm down :D

its not really a war.

GNU/Linux just provides a great Unix like Operating system.

Microsoft doesnt like it because its a threat to its dominance, and unlike other problems, GNU/Linux cannot be bought. ever.

For Linux to be sold, every contributer who has ever contributed to any part or Linux or GNU would have to agree. and thats not going to happen.

so i would say, its more of a Microsoft kicking Linux. And Linux just sitting there smiling.
barely a war.

Linux is good and I could go on about that, but I think this topic is about Windows. I prefer xp over any of the other versions. Its so much faster to boot up, most of my hardware installs simply without a fuss and I'm so used to it now, its become almost second nature. One major gripe that I do have with it is service pack 2. It has to be one of the most annoying things! Installing drivers for software such as blue-tooth dongles requires hacking into the registry and removing entries just so that Windows doesn't configure its own bluetooth control, that doesn't even work! Well apart from those things, its not bad, you do have to work a little harder to access all the hidden settings, but once you know where to look its ok. Oh and for curiousities sake, what is the deal with Linus trademarking the 'Linux' name and forcing companies to pay $5000 to use it? I really dont think its a good step forward, but that remains to be seen.

GNU/Linux just provides a great Unix like Operating system.

Looks like someone is a fan of Richard Stallman :D. hehe.

Well, as far as this topic goes, I was first introduced to computers in an institute which was running Windows95. I remember thinking it was the greatest thing in the world after working in DOS and GW-BASIC in school. It was really fascinating... I recall sitting in front of a computer as the instructor hadn't arrived and was looking at the flying windows screensaver. I just moved the mouse and it showed me the login screen asking for a user name and a password. After trying various passwords for 5 minutes, and none of them working, I clicked on the 'Cancel' button and lo and behold.... it logged me in :D. Hehe, this sort of thing doesn't happen with XP anymore.

I've been using WinXP ever since I bought my first computer 2 years ago, and I must say it's much better than win95, 98 or even 2000. Win 2000 is very much similar to winXP because winXP was developed by building upon the technology of win2000. The reason I like WinXP is because it's much more pleasing aesthetically. You don't have to see sharp edges for the windows and the start button... you can put designs on them for christ's sake!

People who still use Win98 do so because they don't have a choice. Probably they have an outdated system which doesn't even have 128MB of RAM which is required for WinXP to run at all. I've seen Win98 in use in internet browsing centers and boy, are they terrible.

I would say, things have improved by leaps and bounds from Win95 to WinXP. WinXP isn't all the crap that people claim it to be. Microsoft has been unfortunate enough to release WinXP when people have started going OpenSource for the Home Desktops. Security issues and stability issues have hit M$ like a brick in the face. IMO, winXP has all the capabilities to secure a system just as well as GNU/Linux, but it doesn't make it compulsory like Linux.

But a year ago, when I got my second computer, I started delving into linux. I must say it fascinated me even more and at one point of time I was almost about to format my Windows partition when better sense prevailed.

Which is the best Windows OS? I have to say 2000, because it's faster and stabiler at least on my P4 (2.53 GHZ). Windows XP keeps crashing on me and SP2 is serious crap, it's slow and creates more bugs than it fixes.Linux and Macs are the best way to go. I always love macs! I started liking Linux last year!xboxrulz