xisto Community
chansard

THE END OF THE INTERNET.

Its impossible to get rid of the internet in any way or form becuase so many companies, businesses, people, schools, institutions etc TOTALLY and completely rely on the internet to get their services done and so much so that it would be vitually impossible to change back to using pigeon mail.

There are too many routers in the world that support the net. It can't be taken down. It can only be ripped apart etc.And I'm not at all pro war, I'm realistic, I wasn't expressing my opinion.But alas, we're all human, and we need to kill to feel good, therefore, war is our doom.

Or come to sense :)

Overall there are probably more peace lovers than war lovers so I don't think the world will ever end through war and war against neighbours and neighbourhoods. It's sad that some people vote for Geroge Bush purely because he will lead America into more wards though.

Lhunath, are you so pro world war? i think that a world war would probably destroy internet, because internet backbones will be very valuable targets... i think servers will be trashed worldwide if a worldwar would break loose! Peace is better for us, i think :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When the World Wide Web began in 1990, few suspected how successful it would become. There are now millions of websites and billions of web pages. But as many people are well aware, the Web can be painfully slow. Most people still connect to the Internet using 56 Kbps modems and telephone lines. Because the data-carrying capacity of telephone lines, known as bandwidth, can be low, receiving electronic data may take a long time. New technology promises to address this problem.

Connecting to the Internet using fiber optic lines and via cable TV and satellite increases bandwidth dramatically, making the Web more useful. Expect to see an explosion of e-commerce, collaborative projects, videoconferencing and virtual environments. Many of these applications are under development or already in use in some form.

Internet2

The incubator for many of the emerging technologies that are shaping the future is known as Internet2. Formed in 1996 and administered by the University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development (UCAID), Internet2 is a partnership between universities, corporations and government agencies. It's a Petrie dish for networking experiments. The project's goals are to create new applications that can't run over the existing Internet and to develop the infrastructure that supports those applications.

Internet2 is a not a single network, but a consortium of hundreds of high-speed networks linked by fiber optic backbones that span the United States and and link to other countries. It transmits data at speeds up to 2.4 gigabits per second--45,000 times faster than a 56 Kbps modem, allowing scientists to test their laboratory discoveries in the real world.

The next-generation network went online in February, 1999, linking a number of universities around the world. It should be available for commercial use in a few years. Then get ready for 21st century services like interactive television, virtual 3-D videoconferencing, movies-on-demand, and much more.

High-speed networks will make it possible for professionals to work in ways never before possible. For instance, scientists around the world can share specialized equipment like electron microscopes.

NASA has developed a Virtual Collaborative Clinic that connects medical facilities around the U.S., allowing doctors to manipulate high-resolution, 3-D images of MRI scans and other medical imaging. Not only can doctors consult and diagnose, but they can simulate surgery by using a "CyberScalpel." Virtual surgery gives surgeons an opportunity to practice before ever entering the operating room, reducing the time required for the actual procedure. Using this kind of virtual technology, local hospitals can access resources and skills only available at larger institutions. NASA plans to use the technology to provide remote health care to astronauts on extended space journeys.

A New Kind of Web

While PCs were once the primary means of accessing the Internet, we're now seeing Internet-enabled devices such as pagers and cell phones that send and receive e-mail and access the Web. Soon, everything from your car to your refrigerator will be connected to the global network, communicating with each other wirelessly.

Electrolux, best known for its vacuum cleaners, has developed the ScreenFridge, an Internet icebox that manages your pantry, among other things. It e-mails a shopping list to your local supermarket and coordinates a convenient delivery time with your schedule. Say hello to a brave, new world.

I'll leave it as a warning for other new members.If you do this, the you will get yourself on the way to get banned.

Lol.. end of the internet... why do americans assume they are the earth ?its actually goes all the way round :P lol.cant be bothered to quote.. but someone said a world war would destroy the internet...1) the internet was designed to survive quite alot of destruction... aslong as there are 2 machines connected together,,, there is an internet :P2) In the Future, when Skynet takes over the USA military, and decides to kill all the humans,,, even though skynet was software on the internet, it launched all those nukes without a care in the worls as what it would do to its own processing power.....and since the teminator film series is soo fantastic, i think its safe to take that as concret evidence.

Well how fo you know that it was an American who made that post? The internet can't have an end. It is just like a gigantic web or computers interconnected. Just because you destroy 1 source, you have millions more to go. Unless there is a massive EMP bomb used that can cover the whole globe, you canot destroy the internet.

Well how fo you know that it was an American who made that post? The internet can't have an end. It is just like a gigantic web or computers interconnected. Just because you destroy 1 source, you have millions more to go. Unless there is a massive EMP bomb used that can cover the whole globe, you canot destroy the internet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If someone stands on the edge of america, and says @im standing on the edge of the world@ id say its pretty safe to say they are american !!!!

and about the internet being neer undestrucatle... thats what i said.. (in a complicated, jokeing, terminator 3 kinda way)

Unless there is a massive EMP bomb used that can cover the whole globe, you canot destroy the internet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are several other things which might destroy the internet:

-As mentioned before, another faster more reliable type of network becomes the more favoured option and the current internet become outdated and unused. :P .

-A series of volcanic eruptions destroying part of the earth and covering the rest of it in a thinck cloud of ash and smoke blocking out the sun. (possibly what killed the dinosaurs?).

-The internet becomes so overrun with virus's etc. that no-one uses it.

or of course there is always my personal favourite:

-The world is taken over by alien life forms!!! (possibly a race of giant ants?)

I thing you are describing the end of the world in most of your statements Darren. I always crack up on the different theories about it. :P Anyway, you have a very good possibliliy on the 3rd point you made

-The internet becomes so overrun with virus's etc. that no-one uses it.

It can be the very fate of the internet at the end.

^_^ I like that! lol....

You need to read the rules of posting, I am not trying to be an admin but you should post information that may be usefull to someone

thats was nice of you to warn Chansard, but...

I sure hope thats not an "illeagal" post. I thought it was quite funny and started an interesting conversation. I also hope this forum doesn't get too controlling over peoples posts or else it's doesn't make for a very good forum. Thats just my opinion. :D