xisto Community
chansard

THE END OF THE INTERNET.

Actually, the internet could fail, at least to the point of being basically useless for most of what it is currently used for. Originally, it was designed to have no single point of failure, or even a small number of points of failure. However, there are areas that are the bandwidth 'hubs' if you will for all surrounding areas/regions of teh world. If those were to suddenly lose primary and secondary power(like from an EMP effect from a nuke going off or something), then those regions would lose net access. If all of those things got hit at once, the internet would, for all intents and purposes, go down. Another way things could go to crap would be if all the nameservers died all of a sudden.Granted, none of these things are likely, to say the least. But, at least hypothetically, it could happen.

yeah, internet is also important for me. I couldn't live without it, but I also believe in a future with a better/free internet.So I do not believe in an end of the internet because Its almost impossible to end that. So many people, I would say the whole world is connected. You can't just end the internet.

just think... can u imagine a world W/O any type of Uncontrolled-worldwide-comunications?? is imposible man... internet in the future could be diferent, but never nonexistent.

You think the internet is uncontrolled? It isn't, its like the wild west.  There is control, but it is distant and spotty, but it is getting stronger all the time, in an attempt to handle the outlaws.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Ho!

Which bring me to one of my favorite subject ... Virtual Justice! Perhaps we should start a tread regarding virtual justice in the philosophy forum.

cheers

hashbang

Guys...Guys...The internet will never end...Only evolve...The only possible way for it to really end is if...Say a elite groupe of hackers were to get there hands on some high tech goverment power and then have worms and trojans spread across the net then turn every computer into a personal webserver (which is easiest to do with Xp cuz it already has that capability built into it) and then once each computer is turned on to become a server they could easily bruteforce there way into each and every single computer and reak havoc....But...What are the chances of that ? :)

The internet will probably evolve into another higher form. Just like in the days of modem based BBS, time has changed. The internet will be bigger and better and hopefully, better more powerful services will be available to the public.We love our Internet.