xisto Community
qwijibow

GmailFS

Has any1 here managed to get GmailFS working ?
i follwed the instructions here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and it works to a degree, but the files are very unstable !
i wondered if any1 here has had any luck ?

I heard a while ago Google deleted accounts that used it. I'm not sure about it, though, nor sure whether they still do. But let this just be a warning to you. :) Don't put anything on there you wouldn't want to loose tomorrow. Haven't tried it myself, though.

Ok.. i entered this topic thinks.. humm, maybe he messed up, he was trying to say gmal.. and the Fs got tjere by mistake.. how naive of me.. (let's leev it in na :) ive, ok?..)

then i read:

GmailFS - Gmail FilesystemGmailFS provides a mountable Linux filesystem which uses your Gmail account as its storage medium. GmailFS is a Python application and uses the FUSE userland filesystem infrastructure to help provide the filesystem, and libgmail to communicate with Gmail.

GmailFS supports most file operations such as read, write, open, close, stat, symlink, link, unlink, truncate and rename. This means that you can use all your favourite unix command line tools to operate on files stored on Gmail (e.g. cp, ls, mv, rm, ln, grep etc. etc.).

jajajajajaajajaja, actually, i tryied to do taht before know abou it.. i'm a webmaster,!GB storage with unlimitted BW.. tahat's a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll now try it out.. i hope it works!!!!!!!!!!!

oooooook...

NOW I REALLY FEEL STUPID!!!!!

Whle i was posting the messages, i was looking for my answers elsewhere... i foound this:

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

It's called "GMail Drive shell extension", and i quote:

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium.

ok, that's all, hope you windows users like me enjoy it too!!!!! :)

Hmmmm really good idea, but what is the maximun file size that you can upload to the gmail account ??? really i've not idea, maybe somebody here knows ?Another question others users can dowload this files or only the owner of the account?. like a month a go, i saw files in yahoo briefcase, it's work like a webspace, ok, I saw files inside later when I go to mail.yahoo.com ??????? I was logged into the owner account the same as briefcase user :) , maybe with gmail is the same thing ????. Well for now I don't want to lose my gmail account , it was very dificult to get. Greets deividPS: I've invitations for gmail, if somebody wants send PM.

I don't believe there is a filesize limit, and the only way other users can get to your gmail files is by signing in with your username and password..What you meant with the yahoo thing is probably that you need to sign into yahoo only once to activate all your features (mail & briefcase & ...), so when you signed in to your briefcase, you were logged in and able to see your mail as well? Either that or I completely misundertood what you attempted to say there. =)

rapco, i don't want to dissapoint you, but you cannot use the google space as webspace. sure, you could post html files & pictures on it. but php wouldn't work. and besides: all your visitors would need you password & stuff in order to visit it :)

yes! they will hack your computer, and destroy your harddrive and hunt you down and rape your mother....come on. everybody messes with microsoft, a company that is much more powerfull that google.if google doesn't want it, they can block it. shouldn't take them too long and to much effort.and off course it was never their intention to have the space used as a place to share files. but then again, it's hard to prevent i think. you'll always be able to use shared gmail accounts as a place to share your divx movies with your friends...