xisto Community
soleimanian

When is NumLock-caps lock- Scroll lock on?

Ctrl-V is windows mainly.Inside some apps like "putty", you are on a Unix or a Linux machine. This machine receives CRL-C or CTRL-V and sees them as Linux things. Ctrl-C does not mean "copy my text" it means "stop what you are doing" and stops the current shell. (I certify this, I did it several times, just try in a Linux command line window type "sleep 3500", then press Ctrl-C, the "sleep" will stop immediately).In that case, you use Shift-Insert in order to paste the text you previously copied. And, yes, you copied it with "Ctrl-C" in a Crosot Word window. :unsure: And of course, Ctrl-S and Ctrl-Q on the Linux window do "Xoff" and "Xon", and as you know "Xoff" has the same result as Scroll-Lock. ;)

I personally never use shift->insert
But insert button works everywhere, in IRC, Skype, this forum and in an IDE, not only Word?

I use delete button a lot and sometimes you just push the insert button instead, so if I never use it, why would I need it. :unsure: It just makes problems for me, but I didn't even know you can shift->insert something. What's the difference between ctrl->v?

As I understand shift insert, ctrl insert are old stuff and later it was replaced with ctrl v and ctrl c?

I have tried Skype and a few different IDEs, as well as Notepad++, none of them overwrite text when I press Insert. I don't have Linux installed at the moment, perhaps it works there? I'm on a Windows machine. I have this forum on Google Chrome and the insert key doesn't do anything o.O

I have tried Skype and a few different IDEs, as well as Notepad++, none of them overwrite text when I press Insert. I don't have Linux installed at the moment, perhaps it works there? I'm on a Windows machine. I have this forum on Google Chrome and the insert key doesn't do anything o.O

Strange, so maybe you also have it disabled somehow? as I am on windows too and insert acts like that everywhere I write whenever I enable it :unsure:

Even though I agree that sometimes, especially in word processing documents you need insert key, for example whenever you need to write something in and you have ______________, it's much better to write it with an insert key and not write it without insert key and later use the delete button, like I would do, because I have the key disabled ;) But rarely I do that, it's a matter of how you used to do things. I know people, who don't use the delete button, they always only use backspace, no matter what is the situation of the text :P

There are nice shortcuts, a lot of who doesn't use them, but for example you can always use ctrl+backspace and ctrl+delete to remove part of the text from the cursor, most of people just presses the delete or backspace button for a lot of times.

Or ctrl+left cursor, ctrl+right cursor to select text from the cursor, or for all the word just ctrl+shift+(left|right cursor) those in my opinion are very nice shortcuts, most of people I see stops writing, takes the mouse, selects that part of the text and only then does something with it. :P

Even though I got a little bit of topic, I don't know why your insert key doesn't work, I guess with some drivers or software you disabled it and enabled it only for word processing documents. ;)

Huh? On my Crosoft Word, ctrl-right goes at the end of the current word, it does not select from the cursor to the end of the word.

Yes, that's my error in my post, ctrl+right or ctrl+left just navigates to the start word, use shift+right or shift+left to select text and ctrl+shift+right to select words :unsure:

I mistyped ctrl with shift in the post, but cannot edit it anymore. ;[