xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcguy

GIF Patent

I was reading this article (https://news.slashdot.org/story/99/08/29/0722236/unisys-enforcing-gif-patents) and I didn't know that it is actually illegal to use GIF images! Apparently, the company that holds the patent for GIF was threatening to sue webmasters who use GIF images. But I think the patent has expired recently, not very sure about that.

Interesting :)

I was reading this article (https://news.slashdot.org/story/99/08/29/0722236/unisys-enforcing-gif-patents) and I didn't know that it is actually illegal to use GIF images! Apparently, the company that holds the patent for GIF was threatening to sue webmasters who use GIF images. But I think the patent has expired recently, not very sure about that.

Interesting :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That whole GIF patent thing is so retarded. GIF had become probably the most used graphic fromat in WWW and then these guys decided to pull that patent stunt!

I'm under the impression that is still illegal to use GIF images. To play it safe use PNG.

yes ive been told u can animate png files and also it is very easy to convert files while trying to save the imafe choose save as and then typ filename.png and it will be saved as a png fromat

I have not been told that .PNG can be animated. What I have known though, when work with a transperancy pieces naturally you save as .gif so you preserve the transperancy. What .PNG does, as far as my knowledge goes, is preserve the quality of image close to an .jpeg but act as an .gif. Meaning keeping the same/close to the same size of a .gif. Also, I find the patent thing stupid, they can't possibly stop everyone from using .gif, I don't see the possibility. Especially the massive library of sprites around the net.

I thought the patent was only for using the compression algorithm which would apply to your web browser and photoshop for example -- not the end user. If they are trying to charge money for simply using a gif file, they are out of their friggin minds!And I've never heard of animating PNG files. I'm pretty sure that's not possible.