xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcguy

LAN How to set up?

Recently my school organize a carnival and we have to set up a LAN gaming stall. I was amazed by how my friends set up the LAN network. Can anyone give me an idea of how to do the LAN networking stuff?Thanks

You probably know how to physically attach the devices so I won't go there. And I assume you are using Windows machines. It is actually quite simple to set up a LAN. Just make sure you have the right protocols and services (ie. TCP/IP and for example Microsoft Networks) installed. Current Windows versions have quite good automatic configuration tools for networks. Setting up LAN is not nearly as difficult as it may sound like.

It really depends on what operating system you are using. If all the computers that you would like to set up on the LAN are windows xp, then it is very easy to set up a network. By going to "Network Connections" there is a link on the left navigation bar that says "Set up a home or small office network", you can then follow the procedures, depending on the type of internet connection you have. They also give an option to create a network disk to use on Windows 98 and ME computers, which is helpful if you also have computers running those operating systems. Also, if you are to be sharing an internet connection, be sure to have a router that is physically connecting all the computers together using ethernet cables.

First of all, you should learn something about LAN topologies. Then choose the LAN topology that you like. :) After that, choose the operating system that you would use to be networked and plan on how to set it up. LAN networking really depends on how you want it to be set up so I can give you no specific help on setting it up. You could do some research, a bus/star topology would be good for gaming.

get a hub not a router (are those two the same?) A router is also called a hardware firewall and it will make it impossible for a network to be set up since it will hide all computers connected to a hub.

Hi,I might be one out of many who have problems or getting trouble with MS. I've an LAN network at home set up for 3 computers, and everything is working without printersharing and filesharing.I'm using XP Pro with firewall disabled, have done everything (almost) to try to fix it out. Internetsharing is working, but I can't connect or disconnect from the client stations, and then either print from other computers in the network.I know allready, and I really wish if I sometime in the future could trash MS forever for Linux, I've tried several times but always failed to conf.Please if any could have an idea what I'm doing wrong in my network.ThanksBrgdsJens

for ur case... i think you would best like to set up a network asap and dun get bother by those network stuffs... depending on how many computer u are gonna set up... for network consist of 2 computers... just get a RJ45 cross cable... make sure u get cross cable... if more den 2 computer... i recommand hub... dun get a router or switch... i dun think its practical for your situation... anyway... get a hubs with enough ports for your computers... get a RJ45 straight cable for each computer... den connect them to the hub... oh yeah... make sure u got nic card for each computer... go to ur network connection page... and click set up a home or small office network... make one computer host... and others all clients... read properly and go thru the procedures... ur LAN will be setup within minutes... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ for more info... u can also search google on setting up home network in windows xp... :)

Thanks for your advice. What I did was MS 101 problemsolution, reinstall os. It worked far as well, but still only "some" shared folders is working!!!??? Everything else is working fully as wished. And yes ofcause did I know about hubs and it's also what I've connected me through. I think that I'll next investigate a little into an Sygate brigde, it might works at that way.

Brgds

Jens

for ur case... i think you would best like to set up a network asap and dun get bother by those network stuffs... depending on how many computer u are gonna set up... for network consist of 2 computers... just get a RJ45 cross cable... make sure u get cross cable... if more den 2 computer... i recommand hub... dun get a router or switch... i dun think its practical for your situation... anyway... get a hubs with enough ports for your computers... get a RJ45 straight cable for each computer... den connect them to the hub... oh yeah... make sure u got nic card for each computer... go to ur network connection page... and click set up a home or small office network... make one computer host... and others all clients... read properly and go thru the procedures... ur LAN will be setup within minutes... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ for more info... u can also search google on setting up home network in windows xp... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your advice. What I did was MS 101 problemsolution, reinstall os. It worked far as well, but still only "some" shared folders is working!!!??? Everything else is working fully as wished. And yes ofcause did I know about hubs and it's also what I've connected me through. I think that I'll next investigate a little into an Sygate brigde, it might works at that way.

Brgds

Jens

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no problem at all... i don't know abt alot about bridge... i think its some kinda features tat allow u to have several network connections in a computer combine into one... (ya my guess is right... see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows for more info on network bridge...) i see u are using a hardware bridge? :) i can't help u on that cuz i dunno much abt it... anyway... did u enable file sharing on those computers which shared folders didn't work? i guess u didn't enable them tats y its not working...

here's a website that teaches u how to enable it... :)http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Recently my school organize a carnival and we have to set up a LAN gaming stall. I was amazed by how my friends set up the LAN network. Can anyone give me an idea of how to do the LAN networking stuff?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well setting up a Local Area Network or a Wide Area Network is very simple, and complex...

For instance, just setting things up can and is very simple, but then managing/repairing the network, can be very hard.

So, to setup a Local Area Network, or a Wide Area Network, you need cables (how many devices your going to connect plus one more, for backup...) and some type of device that your going to connect everything to, such as a switch, hub, or even a router/gateway...

That is if you want to create a non peer to peer network, elsewise you only need cables (The number of devices your connecting minus one...), then all you need is to connect the cable (YOU HAVE TO USE A CROSSOVER CALBE, NOT A PATCH CABLE, ELSEWISE IT WOULDN'T WORK!!!) to the computers...

Thats the basics, if you want more information, then please feel free to contact me... :)