xisto Community
fabius

Wireless networks

Wireless network are very interesting, because you don't have a cable between your computer and an other computer/gateway/router.Have a wireless network is good I think if you don't want to see or put a cable trought the wall. It is even more intersting for laptop's to have for exemple internet in the garden. Wat can be better than read your emails in your garden in a nice sun.The wireless technology is OK, it works good. And it can go far enough.The only problem is that you have to use a good key (wep) so other people can not use your internet or even worse acces your pc (documents,...) So if you install a wireless network be sure that you have put a good wep key.

Yes WLAN is really handy technology if you don't bother or simply can't do the wiring.But security is something that epecially needs to be taken account when using wireless communication. The traffic encryption that comes with 802.11b is not reliable enough. So if you you your email from your garden, make sure you use secure connection.Don't rely on link level encryption, do it on software level.

Yes, that's why I already use WLAN G technology, it's just like B technology but you can go up to 54MB/s and the security is better. And yes wirelles network are expensive if you compore to a classic network.

My college has wireless network connections all over the place, which makes having a laptop very convenient.Some of the wireless connections are on secure networks, however, meaning that in order to access that wireless network, you would have to have to know some type of security code or password.

But is it expensive to install a wireless network in your house? Approximately how expensive is it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Approximately $80 for a 54M 11.g 4-port router and less than $40 / computer.

Existing computers can accept a standard card, a PC Card (notbooks in particular) or you can even hook up via USB. All can be had for under $40.

js :)

The only problem is that you have to use a good key (wep) so other people can not use your internet or even worse acces your pc (documents,...) So if you install a wireless network be sure that you have put a good wep key.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi fabius, I'm not family with technology in wireless networking. would you introduce the wep key more detail.

In my opinion, the difference between wire and wireless networking is the transfer channel. Though in wire networking, some tools can listen others communication, so the security also needs to be considered. What's your opinion?

No idea Jhonny, but WAN is useful if you want you have connections in multiple floors (i.e. cable modem in basement and you want to get Internet on the top floor) I still have LAN, but WAN is an option I might consider soon.

No idea Jhonny, but WAN is useful if you want you have connections in multiple floors (i.e. cable modem in basement and you want to get Internet on the top floor) I still have LAN, but WAN is an option I might consider soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AFAIK, WAN works at 2.4GHz, while both the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz cordless phones also work in the same band. My cordless phone does a frequency hopping, so it should be Ok with any other 2.4GHz device which also does the frequency hopping. But I don't know if WAN does hopping or not. If it does, how often does it do it.

Hi fabius, I'm not family with technology in wireless networking. would you introduce the wep key more detail.

In my opinion, the difference between wire and wireless networking is the transfer channel. Though in wire networking, some tools can listen others communication, so the security also needs to be considered. What's your opinion?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not fabius but here is my 2 cents..

WEP = Wireless Encription Protocol

WEP can be up to 128-bit strength. A WEP key or code can be generated by using a passcode. This is so you can easily remember instead of having to type in hexadecimal all the time.

I use WEP on all my wireless connections.

Another thing that I use and would recommend is MAC address filtering. When you purchase a wireless router and configure it in infrastructure (vs. adhoc) mode; you can specify each specific MAC address that can connect to the network. If you have a home network, this makes a lot of sense. After all you don't want to let just anyone in, right?

I adore wireless; but don't be stupid if you set up a wireless network in, say, a condominium. My mother and I have been using wireless for at least six months. It's our neighbor's wireless; they didn't bother to set up a password, so anyone (and everyone, from what I've heard) can use their internet. It's not costing them anything, but I'm sure it slows things down. Moral: Passwords are good.

I'm not fabius but here is my 2 cents..

WEP = Wireless Encription Protocol

WEP can be up to 128-bit strength.  A WEP key or code can be generated by using a passcode.  This is so you can easily remember instead of having to type in hexadecimal all the time.

I use WEP on all my wireless connections.

Another thing that I use and would recommend is MAC address filtering.  When you purchase a wireless router and configure it in infrastructure (vs. adhoc) mode; you can specify each specific MAC address that can connect to the network.  If you have a home network, this makes a lot of sense.  After all you don't want to let just anyone in, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Mortgage Man.

However, I still want to know where will WEP be checked? By the software over TCP or within the TCP levels.

Considering the MAC address, though someone ever told me that it can be faked, I think it's enough safe for the usage at home because the others don't know the MAC address you set.