xisto Community
canute24

Dual Core From Intel

Intel dual core chips were tested and supposed to perform really well. It was said to do the required task in half the time as a single core chip. I am not sure about the speeds but here they are. Dual core at 3.2gigs and single core at 3.8. It is supposed to be released in the second quater. :DDual Core is here. :D

Intel dual core chips were tested and supposed to perform really well. It was said to do the required task in half the time as a single core chip. I am not sure about the speeds but here they are. Dual core at 3.2gigs and single core at 3.8. It is supposed to be released in the second quater. :D

Dual Core is here. :D

56367[/snapback]

Sounds awesome. I wonder how much they're gonna cost.

I'm not sure about the cost, but dual core is definatly the wave of the future. AMD is jumping on it too. It will definatly be an interesting battle between the two. :D I'd be interested to see how Hyper-Threading will work w/ Intel's dual core chip.

this sounds like it will be interesting, i cant wait for the price to go down and it to be included on most computers standard, and eventually when they size it down to a pda size, that will be awesome, but also it will be a few more years.

My question is how did they get over the heat issues? the SINGLE core 3.2ghz ones where already overheating rather nicely.

56730[/snapback]

Yeah, even the old Pentiums had to have a heatsink-and-fan combination on them to keep them cool. Heck, the some of the PII/PII MMX chips required a HUGE heatsink. A motherboard with one of those sometimes could only accomodate a specific CPU. I've seen CPUs that looked like a stick of RAM. Really odd.

I'm waiting for dual-core 64bit... But AMD cpu :angry: I see a bench of a dual core Athlon64 @ 2.4GHz... Same power of a Dual Opteron 250 and dual Xeon 3.6GHz... Incredible...

Ok .. this kinnda sucks :( Got a 3.2 ghz dual core (the proc and cooler come in a box) +a dual core support mother board from inteland .. it is overheating .. like .. i boot in 66 celcius and only in bios it goes up to 70 degrees, i manage to boot into an os .. and when i get any app that woul normally run on a 750mhz duron . sytem fails .. overheats .. shuts down :(Do any of you guys had this ?

Ok .. this kinnda sucks
Got a 3.2 ghz dual core (the proc and cooler come in a box) +a dual core support mother board from intel

and .. it is overheating .. like .. i boot in 66 celcius and only in bios it goes up to 70 degrees, i manage to boot into an os .. and when i get any app that woul normally run on a 750mhz duron . sytem fails .. overheats .. shuts down

Do any of you guys had this ?

Usually people who gets dual-core, hyper-threading or any advanced generation processors, AMD or Intel, will attach a better cooling system. The default cooling fan provided by the manufactures are able to hold to a certain level of heat for a normal simple usage. If you are those who uses the processors to run high-end games, render high defination video or graphics or any other means that requires alot of processing power, an advance cooler will be required to replace

It will be best if users get water cooling systems to their high-end computers for it to remain actively high-end. Or else you will face sudden shutdowns or weird problems due to the heat produced. AMD, however as compared to Intel, produces lesser heat. Hence the default cooler is able to hold a little higher heat then Intel.

I thought these days generally as long as your computer is in a well ventilated position (and case has proper air flow through it), you can get away with stock cooling unless you started to overclock?

I thought these days generally as long as your computer is in a well ventilated position (and case has proper air flow through it), you can get away with stock cooling unless you started to overclock?

You are correct. For an average home user you will not have to worry about cooling at all. Some people put in better cooling systems saying that it helps improve game performance but based on my own personal experience and that of my friends there is no noticeable difference during gameplay. Where you really have to consider cooling is in large datacenters where you have hundreds of servers in a small room. It can get very warm and you would need large air conditioning units to keep the temperature under control so that all the machines run efficiently.

I've heard lots of talk about dual-core processors (Intel Pentium D and Core Duo for the Macs, and AMD's lineup too). For me it wouldn't be practical, since I don't game or do other really processor intensive tasks. But for those who have money, need speed (and want to have the latest tech), it sounds good to me. Eventually, they will come down in price, and even mainstream computers will have dual-core chips sometime.

ehh. .dual core... wonder why Intel is't making 64bits processor to compete with AMD. Maybe they haven't finished the research yet. anyway, i'm running a duron 700mhz now.. for about two years how. .HAhAhA.. but since i don't play game much or do anything that requires that fast of a processor.. i don't need to upgrade my computer.. I'm happy as long as it plays divx and other video files and won't lag.Actually.. i would like a newer and faster computer because i want to watch movies while running other stuff like AIM and download using bit torrent, etc. But doing all that don't really need an expensive proccessor.. About the heat sink that came with the computer. .It doesn't work very well.. I remember i once tried to play need for speed underground with this computer. The heatsink cannot handle the heat from the CPU.. so it keept on restarting like every 1 hour. Which sucks when i'm in the middle of a really hard race... .because then i have to start over. Didn't really know what was causing the problem until i touched my heatsink and found that it was extremely hot.. so i replaced it with my spare copper headsink that was meant for a 1.7gb cpu. Suprised how the heatsink still get hot when i play games.I have my computer under the desk so it doesn't get much cool air down there. But i have two system fan to cool it down when needed.. I usuaully don't turn them on because it increases the noises.

certainly this is an awesome processor to have, with more instructions can be performed at the same time it will blow up almost all current application. However I think the speed will diminish in the long run. Applications will be upgraded to make use of the processing power of these CPU.But for now we really can enjoy this processor, of course the cost is the tradeoff.