xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
proxies

Basic Tips and Tricks in HTML

In my opinion the Best way to Learn HTML is by using a Web Page Designing Program such as Dreamweaver, and using both the HTML only mode along with the visual creation mode. So when you input an object in the Visual Mode you can see the HTML behind it. You can learn simple HTML along with advanced coding by doing it that way.

Not a terrible way to pick up tips, but I wouldn't recommend beginning the learning process that way.

The most obvious downside to learning this way is that you have to have an expensive piece of software to begin with. One great strength of HTML is precisely that you don't need extra software to use it.

Even if you do have the software in place, programs like Dreamweaver (and especially programs like FrontPage!) don't always use the best HTML practices. They're already bending over backward trying to interpret what you're doing visually, and good code is sometimes a casualty.

A third downside to learning that way is that you don't get a very in-depth understanding of the markup language. You can try the things you think about and see how Dreamweaver interprets it, but a good tutorial might show you things html can do that you hadn't been thinking about. By running through tutorials at W3Schools or Sitepoint, you're less likely to run up against things as you go that you don't know how to deal with (that happens often enough as it is!).

My advise to a beginner is to stick with the tutorials as a starting point. Once you have a good understanding of tags and good practice, you can use LegallyHigh's method as a way to solidify what you already know, especially if you come at it with a critical eye to spot things the program may be doing wrong. For that matter, you can do the same with websites you see online. Open up the code and try to figure out what they're trying to do (sucessfully and unsuccessfully). Or in both instances, look at the display and figure out how you would code it, then see how the HTML differs from your idea and decide who has the better idea.

w3schools are best out there for beginners i have searched out for some other sites like that but all the sites are linking theirs to w3schools so i say its goodi have just completed html on that and planning to complete all of that available on the site