xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Troop107-Admin

Free up some space in XP

delete all files inside the "C:\Windows\Temp" folder

Is it truely safe to remove all files and sub-folders in the Windows/Temp folder? I am not extremely computer literate and have hesitated to do this. I don't have any problem with deleting files with the .tmp suffix and all the files in the temporary internet folder; but I have been afraid of deleting things from the Windows/Temp folder.

Wow, I wonder how people manage to find topics this old!! Anyhow, I'm sure it would be rather safe to delete those files, but I'd leave them alone. The folder name says it all - they are just temporary files, which means that they will be removed sooner or later. As for the files that stay there, don't delete them if they are small (only a few megabytes). I'm sure you could live with a bit more space taken up :)

Wow, I wonder how people manage to find topics this old!! Anyhow, I'm sure it would be rather safe to delete those files, but I'd leave them alone. The folder name says it all - they are just temporary files, which means that they will be removed sooner or later. As for the files that stay there, don't delete them if they are small (only a few megabytes). I'm sure you could live with a bit more space taken up :)

i also wonder about how they found old post..
i dont do anything on these files.. i just go on the temps and wipe them out..

the side effect is that is sometimes lost my cookies and bookmarks.. sometimes the history was also deleted

Mostly it's safe, but if a program is realy stupid it put uninstallation information overthere (only progs I know that do this are the ATI demos).But first things first, next time you install windows, start with remove crap and old programs using nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/).Next, get yourself a virtual machine (vmware, m$ virtual pc, qemu, ...) and mess around with that windows installation (if you want to test some new software if it's what you're looking for, ... ).//edit: last one is for keeping your windows installation clean, the vmware will probably use 1Gb of space :)

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

i also wonder about how they found old post..

I found this thread using the search feature. Thanx for the swift reply. I will leave those files alone as I have done all along.